1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB for T/O Bearing Issue:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roxspin72, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    bctune33

bctune33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wheeling, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    AEM Brute Force intake, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, URD short-throw shifter
    This is the issue that most of us are referring to. It's more of a chirp whenever the clutch isn't depressed.
    Here's a video I found on youtube that someone (not me) uploaded.
    You can hear the noise stop every time he engages the clutch, then as soon as he takes his foot off the clutch it starts again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4rZSHk7RQ

2. Apr 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Black
    Good for you - glad you are getting them to fix it! I had to bite the bullet and pay $700 for the stealership to fix mine this coming Monday. At least if it goes in the next year they have to replace it free of charge.

3. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    Clipper

Clipper Western Alliance: Sierra's

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    '06 Taco 4X4
    Took mine in last week. Of course no noise at the dealership, just at home. They said they heard no issue but shot some grease up on the bearing anyways just in case. Said if it is the TOB then it is part of the clutch assembly and is only covered under 3/36 warranty. Which is total BS. I told him the next time i hear the noise im bringing it down dropping it off. cant wait for the noise to return.

The weirdest part is when i drove off the lot last week i made it 100 yards and had a check engine light come on, loss of power and a harsh idling engine. the computer said that cylindar 5 had a backfire of misfire, cant remember what he said. Really kinda over all the issues with my truck.

I spoke with one of the tech's and he said they will be doing a drive line recall this summer as well. due to a bad bolt or something, he didn't really know fully what was with it.

Really Toyota, get your heads outta your a** and start making reliable trucks again. wish i would have kept my old 85. kinda jealous of my fiance's 03 with no issues yet.

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    71roadrunner

71roadrunner Active Member

Member:

Wonderful, 'they shot grease up there'. I wonder what they'll tell you when the grease contaminated clutch disc fails at some point down the road. Which is what usually happens when throwing grease around in that area. This same crap has been going on with the FJ owners. You said it right with Toyota gettin' their heads outta their a$$es !

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    Less then 6 months/5k mi later, the squeak came back. I just got my truck back after they kept it overnight replacing the entire clutch. When I brought it in they said they've seen the problem before and it was due to an etched pilot shaft which they could smooth out. They ended up also replacing the t/o bearing again, and they put in a whole new clutch. The tech said the pressure plate fingers were not uniform, so they were placing uneven pressure on the release bearing causing premature failure. From the invoice "Faulty clutch release bearing - clutch cover levers not level causing noise. Installed new bearing, clutch, and machined flywheel." Cost to me was $0.

6. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    The dealer replaced my T/O bearings not even a year ago and the infamous chirp has returned. The parts are under warranty though and they told me that as long as it happens within a year of being replaced/installed each time, it'll remain under warranty. I'm not a fan of the dealer in general, but I've been working with the same rep and it seems like she's taking a vested interest in taking care of my truck. Who knows, a new transmission may be in my future.

7. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    I haven't noticed anything yet, knock on wood, but im definately subscribing.

8. Apr 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    Clipper

Clipper Western Alliance: Sierra's

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    '06 Taco 4X4
    The Squeek is back

9. Apr 29, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    Appointment with dealer is next Monday, wish me luck.

I have the chirp at 22k and lived with it until now 59,900 mi waiting for a fix to come out, can't get more time since probably 60k will be reached next week.

I'm arming myself with patience and all the info I can get to deal with the dealer next Monday.

Will report after the ordeal is over.

10. May 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    tonkatoy

tonkatoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport Acc 4x4 6 spd
    Its been almost 4 years... Do you think they will ever fix it?

There just gonna wait until everyone's warranty is finally gone.

We are screwed.

11. May 6, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    71roadrunner

Member:
  12. May 6, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    Mandy3206

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    The Saga begun, last Monday I dropped my truck at the dealer 59963 miles, almost out of warranty and as expected, according to the tech it didn't presented the condition on the inspection.
    They called me late Monday 6:00pm to inform me what happened and Tuesday all techs were going to training so nothing was done on Tuesday.

Wednesday I got to the dealer and ask for a test in front of me and buala, chirping started just as soon as they turned on the engine so they agree to repair after I explained carefully what was causing the problem and that a simple TOB replacement would be just a temporary solution, I insisted in new bellhousing, I guess that they'll do as they want.

I just called to see what was going on and they haven't done anything 'cause the Console Vault is in the way and they were about to call me, now I'm on my way to remove it from the truck and see if I can dig more info about the repair to be done.

Update later wish me luck.

13. May 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    Mandy3206

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Just picked up my truck, and they only changed the TOB, and the service manager told me that the warranty only is good until 60K I'm at 59975 so next week I'll be out of warranty so when the chirp comes back in a couple of months I'll have to sort it out on my dime.

The service manager and the not so cooperative from the start service advisor basically blew me off and gave me a phone number to take my plea to Toyota and only if Toyota approve new repairs, they would perform them.
    The Service Manager denied ever heard about any problem with the 6 speed transmission and he told me that it was the first time he heard about it.
    I show him the pics of the trans and and TOB and explained the problem in detail so there was no doubt about what I was talking about and they played dumb even with the FJ situation.

Seem like I'll be calling Toyota next Monday and start my plea there.

Any suggestions or documentation that may help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mandy

14. Jun 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    Blk04SR

Blk04SR Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD Offroad 4x4 DCSB 6 Speed Manual
    AccuTune Fox 2.5's, Camburg Billets A-Arms, Enkei+Toyo AT3's, Deaver Overland Stage 2, Demello Front Bumper, Go Fast Camper
    Reading this and others on XR underground pisses me off. I took my truck in last year for the clutch pedal TSB. Had to have it done twice because of carelessness there at the dealer. It really heats me up because I let them know of the issue the chripping sound started after the first clutch pedal TSB and they did nothing about even when my truck went back for the second time for the clutch pedal TSB. My truck is not under warranty anymore so im SLO. I know some people that work at Toyota I wonder if I should address it with them....

15. Jun 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    did we ever find this TSB ??

16. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Tsb? Anyone??

17. Jun 9, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    71roadrunner

Member:

There is no TSB for the throw out bearing. Toyota is sweeping this under the rug for you Tacoma guys as well as the FJ guys.

Right now, the best thing you can do is the PDM kit. For those of you unaware of it, the FJ and Taco share the same tranny/clutch set-up (hence, the same trouble). Several of the FJ guys have already gone with the kit. Some dealers are agreeing to install it when the trouble arises. Other guys are doing it themselves. One guy did the install himself and also threw in a new URD clutch set-up and posted up pictures (the pics are on the last few pages). He also listed all the tools he needed to do the job. There is a lot of good info scattered throughout this thread (because when it started, there was no kit available for us) :

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...106475-throwout-bearing-trouble-6-speeds.html

18. Jun 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Toyota just needs to stop fucking us all! LAST TOYOTA I"LL EVER BUY!!!!!!!

I hope one of you corporate fucks reads this!

19. Jul 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    oldschoollear

oldschoollear Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Nashville,TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    Stocker

2007 32,000 miles, chirp-chirp-chirp. Going to the dealer Monday. Does the PDM kit have a special bearing? Would it be available down the line if a replacement was needed. After a lot of research, it seems like getting the PDM kit installed with a new bell housing is the best fix I can think of, anything else looks like they are just throwing parts at it. How receptive do you think a dealer would be if I asked for the bell housing under warranty, plus the labor, and I pick up the tab for the kit. I plan on being well armed with info from these threads showing new release bearings are not the answer( there doesn't appear to be an answer). First post hello all.

20. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    bctune33

bctune33 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Wheeling, WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    AEM Brute Force intake, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, URD short-throw shifter
    Another update:
    It's been about a month and a half (and less than 2K miles).
    Chirp is back. Called the dealership, and it's going back in early next week.
    Hopefully they do more than just replace the bearings this time, but I'm not holding my breath.
    This is my first Toyota, and starting to look like my last.

Products Discussed in

To Top