1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB List for 2005+ Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Angus_NB, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Oct 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    NinjaT1985

NinjaT1985 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma
    I posted up on Toyota's FB page about a TSB for the 2012 and this was their response...

"Hi Travis: The 2012 Tacoma has been updated w/ the TRD Sport and SR5 packages coming with the 4 leaf pack standard. The TRD off road comes with a newly engineered 3 leaf pack designed for more travel in off road conditions. Because of this the TSB for the 05'-11' will not apply to the 2012's. ^TJ"

2. Oct 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    stanbp64

stanbp64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011PreRunner Sr5

Well, they are gonna order the parts!! No problems at all.

3. Oct 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    My 2012 OR bottomed out with 5 sheets of plywood. Heh.

4. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    T1no33

T1no33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner V6 SR5
    - Partial Badge Removal & Dipped - Removed Mud Flaps - Blacked out Emblem - Blacked out Chrome Surrounding Grill - Salex Center Console Organizer - AntennaX 13" - Tinted Front Windshield - Derped Tacoma Emblems - Bridgestone 265/70/16 tires - Tuff AT Wheels - 3 and 1 spacer block lift (mistake big time) - Black Rear Bumper - Aries Bull Bar w/light rig
    Sub'd

Thank you for making this. Love me some TW!

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just to give you some information that they SHOULD have told you, Toyota, along with the other manufacturers have been trying to reduce warranty repairs. Dealerships with a high warranty repair percentage compared to other similar dealerships are put under the microscope of Toyota Corporate. (Read this as the dealership get a rep from Toyota to come down and perform a full audit of all warranty repairs for the last 12 months or so) According to most manufacturers, any changes that you make to a factory vehicle will affect your warranty. I have seen some strange ones. The fact that you removed your factory radio and installed an aftermarket is enough of a reason to have Toyota claim that the rattle could be a result of what you did to your truck. That is enough of an excuse for them to say "no" to a repair. The dealerships are not authorized to repair it in this case, and if they did, Toyota is within their franchise control rights to deny the repair claim, and the dealership would be liable for the costs. While some dealerships do this to keep some customers happy, others don't. It is a case by case for this. They SHOULD have told you up front WHY they couldn't repair your rattle, instead of just saying "you put in a radio, we don't have to fix it. Bad PR in my opinion for sure.

6. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Good points. I forgot to mention that they had attempted to fix the rattle when they did the first radio replacement, and it still wasn't fixed after I left the dealership. They certainly had a record of that since it was the same dealership.

When I replaced the radio, I secured all of my wiring, as well as used foam and more zip ties to try and kill the rattle myself. Toyota Customer Care subsequently gave me all the TSB numbers for the dash rattle (which I already knew), and I provided the list to them when I took it back just to help them out -- nobody likes trying to find a dash rattle, and all I was asking them to do was perform the TSB's and if it still rattled I would live with it as my own problem.

But, you are certainly correct -- no way for them to know whether I caused the problem or not. No big deal since I had the TSB info and could perform it myself.

7. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    T1no33

T1no33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner V6 SR5
    - Partial Badge Removal & Dipped - Removed Mud Flaps - Blacked out Emblem - Blacked out Chrome Surrounding Grill - Salex Center Console Organizer - AntennaX 13" - Tinted Front Windshield - Derped Tacoma Emblems - Bridgestone 265/70/16 tires - Tuff AT Wheels - 3 and 1 spacer block lift (mistake big time) - Black Rear Bumper - Aries Bull Bar w/light rig
    I'm sorry but I want to read the last two posts but I can't stop staring at Bama's signature.....holy bouncing boobs.....

8. Oct 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rolf
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    09 taco sport crew 4 x4 long bed
    Deaver 6 stack Leaf Springs 3/4 ton Bilstean adjustible shocks 3.0 Liter turbo diesel from Toyota Hilux in japan
    BAMA i had to watch the video 10 times before I could reply!!!

I just had aftermarket springs made custom for my 09 Taco quad TRD sport, it has 65k so out of warranty, no point in installing more toy springs, went with 10 stack 2 stage springs custom built to my specific load usage. $750 for the entire kit.

9. Nov 6, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    Boulder Taco

Boulder Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" ToyTec Lift D.C. 285/75/16's ProComp ES9000 Shocks Avid Light Bar / Sliders Hella Black Magic Fog Lights Black Badges + Black Grille ARE Topper Sockmonkey TRD Decal Bulletproof Fab. TRD Skid Plate Blacked Out Rear Bumper
    I have an 2012 TRD OR. With the additional weight of a topper, and my Rear sucks!
    I just got off the phone with the Dealership out here in Raleigh, and they said they would look at my spring problem. And check to see if it is covered under the previous years TSB routine. I told them I have a "harsh ride, and I bottem out over bumps". I was about to get new leafs or an AAL to help, but I figured I'd try to get this done by Toyota first. Any advise fellas?

10. Nov 6, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    stocksport

stocksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    Yes! I don't think 2012's are included in the TSB, but if they do it be sure they don't replace your shocks w/ the base models. Happened to me even after I told them not to. The TSB can be a little confusing in it's wording, but all they should replace is the rear springs. They made a small difference. Don't be surprised if you still find yourself wanting new leafs.

11. Nov 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    Boulder Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" ToyTec Lift D.C. 285/75/16's ProComp ES9000 Shocks Avid Light Bar / Sliders Hella Black Magic Fog Lights Black Badges + Black Grille ARE Topper Sockmonkey TRD Decal Bulletproof Fab. TRD Skid Plate Blacked Out Rear Bumper
    Thanks, I figured I'd get it done before I spend any more cash either way. I'll let you know what they say.

12. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Sagamore Brian

Sagamore Brian New Member

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco Stock
    You can tell if you need the spring upgrade by looking to see if you have 3 or 4 leafs in the spring assembly - thats the only difference. When I bought my 2007, it only had 3 leafs - the updated springs have 4 and they installed the rubber stops to the frame to prevent the metal on metal 'bang'. I put a 700lb Polaris Sportman ATV in the back, and even with the upgraded springs you still need to be careful.

13. Nov 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    Salt

Salt ...

Member:
    Lyons, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12' DCORSB TRD
    SnugTop XV with yakima rack. Factory Cab roof rack. Full bedrug. Debadged. Full OME suspention kit, 866's & Dakars. SPC UCA's. Slee Sliders. ARB front bumper w/ M8000 Warn winch. FJ TRD Wheels. Cooper ST Maxx, 255/85r16

Agreed. I have a 2012 Double Cab OR short bed and the rear suspension is pretty weak. I also have a Snug-top XV topper. If I load the truck up with four people and 4 mountain bikes and camping gear the rear suspension is essentially worthless. It bottoms out on a crack in the pavement never-mind taking it into the rough. Plus it just sags with the weight.
    I spoke to the local dealership and the tech said that my only solution was a lift. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Any suggestions? Do I need to purchase an upgraded leaf pack or can I pressure Toyota to remedy the situation?

Thanks,

Salt

14. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:13 AM
    Boulder Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    So the latest on my end, I spoke to the dealership out here and found a guy that owns a Tacoma. Explained the situation and he agreed with everything we spoke about concerning the leafs. The only issue is that corporate does not recognize the 2012 TSB yet, so he told me he did not want me to walk out of his dealership pissed off, so he wrote up the issue as a rear leaf spring problem, not the TSB bulletin, and agreed to switch out the leafs for me. Hooray for Toyota!!!! Although it sucks to have this problem in the first place. But at least it's a start, and its free. If I'm not happy with the result, I think I'll do an AAL. But we'll see.

15. Nov 14, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Remember that the load rating of roughly 1000 lbs includes the four people so if they are lightweights at 120 lbs each that would be 480 lbs. That leaves you ~520 lbs for cargo. The SnugTop XV goes what say about another 150 lbs or better which leaves 370 lbs.

Now add 4 mountain bikes and camping gear... It looks like it is pretty close to capacity, and that is with four skinny people at 120 lbs each.

Lets make two of those people a normal weight of 180 lbs and that takes another 120 lbs from your total remaining. So instead of looking at 370 lbs for the bikes and gear we are looking at only 250 lbs.

I think you are hauling more than you think you are. Do not forget to take passenger weight into account.
    No doubt it bottoms out.

16. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    Salt

Salt ...

Member:
    Lyons, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12' DCORSB TRD
    SnugTop XV with yakima rack. Factory Cab roof rack. Full bedrug. Debadged. Full OME suspention kit, 866's & Dakars. SPC UCA's. Slee Sliders. ARB front bumper w/ M8000 Warn winch. FJ TRD Wheels. Cooper ST Maxx, 255/85r16
    Thanks, I understand. Apparently I underestimated the amount of crap I haul around.

Agreed. If we start at 250, less 30 per bike, that only leaves 130 pounds. Weak.

So.....now comes the age old question. If I want to increase my weight capacity, and install a 2" lift, and install some sliders (more weight) do I need a new leaf kit?

I'm looking at some of the FOX components but I'm not sure what to do about the capacity issue of the rear end.

Cheers.

Salt

17. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    Sub'd! thanks!

18. Nov 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    Boulder Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    So, the latest on my end. Good news and Bad news. The good news is that Toyota agreed to swap out my stock rear leafs for a new stronger leaf pack. No charge. He wrote it up under standard 3/36 warranty. Bad news is after I got what I want, my 2" rear sag, turned into a 1" rear sag. It didnt quite fix the problem, but it did help. I think I have to still get a simple AAL to get my rear up. I have a topper and a bunch of tools and gear in the back, and she still needs a little help. My advise, for people that have some extra cash laying around, Get OME rear leafs, and don't think about it again. Toyota leafs suck. Built to ride smooth, not carry weight.

19. Dec 1, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
  20. Jan 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR

Products Discussed in

To Top