1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB Oil Leak Timing cover being fixed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fjm0008, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I took my truck in and requested the oil leak be repaired and showed the service manager the printed version. Appt today, took them two hours to call and say it will be covered, 9 hour repair? Four o'clock they call and want to keep it overnight. I requested a loaner car...this is where it gets interesting. He states that they don't do loaners, they have rentals. I said that it is only a rental if I pay for it, it is a loaner if he pays for it. He stated that he will give me a car and submit the bill to Toyota under the TSB/warranty. So I will hopefully get my truck back without any damage from the knuckleheads at the dealer.

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have a 2009 with only 20,000 miles. I had the same thing happen to me. I had taken it to the dealer to have the rear leaf spring tsb done and I also had a oil leak that needed to be fixed. I told them that I needed a loaner and they said they don't give loaners for tsb's so I had to rent a car for the day. They called me back about 4 hours later and said that they will need the truck another day to fix the oil leak that was coming from the timing chain cover. They told me that since they had my truck for more than 8 hours that the rental car was for free. It took them 2 full days to do rear tsb and to fix the leaky timing chain cover.

robssol likes this.
  3. Jun 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    My 2005 had the same prob at 93,000 miles and it was still under warranty so I got it fixed for free :)

robssol likes this.
  4. Jun 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    jsw327

jsw327 Member

Member:
    ca
    Vehicle:
    2006 Pre Runner OR Quad Cab
    had the same leak at 50k. They gave a crappy rental and I picked my truck up in the am. The nice surprise is that they left a snap on swivel socket in my skid plate, and left the skid plate loose. I took the tool back to the dealer because I make a living with my tools and made them tighten the skid plate. I fear what they do with my truck

5. Jun 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    tquang

tquang mytacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    mytacoma
    San Dimas, S.Ca
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Can someone post a copy of TSB oil Leak Timining cover?

Thanks

6. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    x2 is this for only for 09 and 10

7. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    I have the same leak on my '06. I think it's for all 05+

too bad I have 106k miles :(

327 likes this.
  8. Jun 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    fjm0008

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I will get you the number for the TSB, I have it in my office. I found it on this site and now the entire list went somewhere else. Update, the dealer lived up to their knucklehead status, scratched the right rear by hitting it with a door from another car through the paint. The oil leak is fixed so far.

9. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    fjm0008

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Here is the link for the TSB. Good luck.

Here is an updated T-SB that supersedes TSB No. EG051-07 that now includes 08's T-SB-0326-08.

T-SB-0326-08.pdf

10. Oct 31, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    markcjr

markcjr Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 speed
    i'm at 77000 miles, i'm confused. it's a tsb, so shouldn't they cover it even if i'm over my 60000 mile warrranty? just like they just covered my spiral cable at 70000 miles?

mark

11. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Spiral cable is a safety issue, making it a recall. Service bulletins are not considered mandatory covered repairs. May be covered under extended warranty, if you have one.

12. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:25 AM
    markcjr

markcjr Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 speed
    nah, just the standard 60000 mile warranty. bummer

13. Oct 31, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    As mentioned, a recall is for a safety concern, or for a problem that affects regulation laws. A bulletin is actually designed for technicians at the dealer to assist in finding common problems, and common solutions. This improves a dealerships ability to quickly find a problem, repair the vehicle, and return it to the customer. Until the internet became widespread, TSBs were almost unknown to the general public, because they were not intended for public use. Times have changed for this of course, and more people have become more aware and interested in such things. In rare instances some manufacturers will extend the time period and coverage for a TSB, but it is at their discretion, and is not mandated by any laws. Recalls are.

As for loaners and rentals vehicles, these are not a requirement in all situations. Manufacturers choose what they will allow and what they won't. for example Cadillac has a mandatory rental for anyone whose repair will take more than 4 hours, or will require being kept overnight to perform repairs. Not all the others do the same.

And yes, it is STILL a rental fjm. It's just a rental that gets paid for by Toyota corporate. A loaner is a vehicle owned and maintained by the dealership, and is at the discretion of the dealership to loan out. So yes, you still got a rental.

14. Dec 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    Squatcher

Squatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue "Genie"
    Blacked Out Hood Scoop, Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler, Line Out Converter/8 inch Sub, GTA Car Kit, Plasti-Dipped Logos & Rims, Rubbermaid Splash Guard, Lightweight Battery, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Flex a Lite Fan w/Thermostat, HIDs, LED License Plate Lights, etc. 4x4

Yes, I'm out of warranty. Ihave 132,000 mi. on my 2006, Toyota Tacoma, Speedway Blue, with the sameproblem. Toyota has a TSB on this issue, and they are well aware of it. It is amanufacturer defect in the engines between the years 05 - 07, and Toyota nevermade it a recall. They are shady with some of their business practices, and Iam seriously considering never buying one of their products again.

They refused to help me, along with every other person having this issue (outsideof warranty). I'm sorry, but when it is a manufacturer defect, warranty or not,it should be fixed without a question. Think twice before you get suckered intoanother Tacoma. Love my TACO, but Toyota sure doesn't love me...just my money.

T-SB-0326-08

CALL THEM, AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS,SO THEY WILL DO SOMETHING FOR US. IT IS THEIR MISTAKE/MANUFACTURER ERROR ANDTHEY ARE MAKING US PAY FOR THEIR MISTAKE. THEY WANT $1,500 TO DO THE JOB. THISSHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL. STAND YOUR GROUND!!!

15. Dec 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sucks man. Unless it is a directly safety related problem, they have no responsibility to fix it. They warranted their product for a minimum of 5 years or 60k against defects. The failure either went unnoticed or happened after one of those two events.

I would get quotes at local reputable non-dealership garages. You are going to pay absolutely top dollar for labor and parts at a dealership, but they have factory trained techs, every diagnostic goody you can immagine and special tools onhand. You may be suprised what a small shop will do the job for.

I had this repair done under warranty....58,XXX miles or so. I had purchased a 7 year 100,000 extended warranty plan when I bought the truck but it was covered under standard powertrain warranty. This was the second expensive "TSB" job they had done for me, the first being harsh ride/soft springs which I had to get Toyota Care involved in to make things happen. Ever since they have been very good to me. If I buy another Toyota, it will be from them.

I'm out of warranty now, so if mine leaks again, its on me to fix it...it is what it is.

16. Dec 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    Can some post a pic of where I should be looking for said leak?.....warranty is up soon...I want to make sure I don't have this issue

17. Dec 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Too dark for picture. Left side behind water pump is where mine seeped. Look at the whole front side of engine block, timing cover specifically.

18. Dec 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    Squatcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue "Genie"
    Blacked Out Hood Scoop, Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler, Line Out Converter/8 inch Sub, GTA Car Kit, Plasti-Dipped Logos & Rims, Rubbermaid Splash Guard, Lightweight Battery, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Flex a Lite Fan w/Thermostat, HIDs, LED License Plate Lights, etc. 4x4
    Hence my username...imagine being out in the woods, searching for the Bigfoot, only to have your engine blow due to Toyota's negligence. Serious stuff dudes, serious stuff. It's things like this that stop us from finding...the Bigfoot.

mikkydee likes this.
  19. Dec 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    bigfoots on the east coast man your wasting your time out there

20. Dec 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Squatcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue "Genie"

Situation:

- I'm out of warranty. I have 132,000 miles on my 2006, Toyota Tacoma,Speedway Blue, 4.0 6 CYL.

- Timing cover is leaking (Which is a problem on ALL 4.0 6 CYL. Engines *Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, Camry, etc*

Location of Leak:

- (Look above the Power Steering Pump, on the front side of the engine wall.It is on the passenger side, and will appear to be power steering fluidleaking, but is actually your engine’s oil.)

General Facts:

- Toyota has a TSB on this issue, and they are WELL AWARE of it. They have a Toyota Service Bulletin on the matter(T-SB-0326-08). It is a manufacturerdefect in the 4.0 engines. Toyota never made it a recall. They are shadywith some of their business practices, and I am seriously considering neverbuying one of their products again.

- They WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM ifyou are out of warranty and it will cost YOU$1,500 approximately to fix. Not only is your timing cover leaking, so is yourwallet.

Solution: There is power in numbers. Contact Toyota and demand that they fixyour 4.0 engine for free:

- Phone: 800-331-4331, M-F 5:00am - 6:00 pm PT / Sat 7:00am - 4:00 pm PT

- Email: toyota_cares@toyota.com

*Toyota refused to help me, along with every other person having this issue (outsideof warranty). I'm sorry, but when it is a manufacturer defect, warranty or not,it should be fixed without a question. Think twice before you get suckered intoanother Tacoma (or Toyota). Love my TACO, but Toyota sure doesn't loveme...just my money.

T-SB-0326-08

IT IS THEIR MISTAKE AND THEY ARE MAKING US PAY. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL.STAND YOUR GROUND!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top