1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSBs are not for owners as much as technicians

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingfrog, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mar 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Yes :)

2. Mar 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    No...You likely had a REAL and provable issue. Unlike many who show up looking for a free lift who don't carry even 600lbs of cargo routinely in their beds and have their heads bumping on the headliner running over a marble. Easy enough to prove in the service drive.....

The biggest issue is the Service tech HAS to be able to see, feel, and or hear the issue for the TSB to even get past muster. Some dealerships may not require proof. Most will.

3. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I got a 6500 lb. tow package so gimme the 4-leaf springs!

4. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock
    So how many posers out there that is pissing the op off? No offense but if Toyota think the majority of Americans prefer softer ride on their truck fine! But if they have the option to give you a stiffer leaf for you to use your truck as a truck then they shouldn't give owners a hard time getting it. I mean really how many poser out there? I dare say not even one percent of Tacomas sold.

I can't even get the tsb done for my steering shaft because they don't have a fire road to drive on. Really?

5. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    well this is the way i see it...if im buying a truck that says it can do a certain thing...i.e. tow 6500lbs..then it better damn beable to do that shit off the lot..not coming back and getting the 4 leaf pack installed later...

to me thats like i buy the tacoma with the 4.0L but instead get the 2.7 in it, all because toyota thinks the majority of americans prefer the 4cyl..its all about the principal to me..

6. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    this should go without saying. it is interesting that on other vehicle forums, a TSB is regarded exactly as you mention, but on this one, for some reason, people act almost like it is some sort of recall that needs to be remedied.

7. Mar 22, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    My old Chevy K20 has something like 17 rear leafs on each side.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have to go back in for any more springs on that truck.

I had the spring TSB done on my Tacoma though because it's a truck not a town car.
    I really didn't notice much difference in in the ride or the height to be honest but I do have a camper shell which adds umptyump lbs.
    I'm glad Toyota has a TSB for it and I don't really care who it's for, the tech or the customer.

8. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    OP .... what boat were you on?

9. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I think OP's point is that the TSB is intended to be helpful if your truck is experiencing problems, to diagnose and fix it with minimal effort on the tech's part. Any vehicle NOT experiencing problems doesn't need application of a TSB because there's nothing to troubleshoot.

In that sense, a TSB isn't a recall where every vehicle gets the modification whether experiencing problems or not. Many people have the wrong idea about the spring TSB in particular and wrongly expect an 'upgrade suspension' on demand, with no problems exhibited.

10. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I agree with the OP, but I also agree with this ^. Also what really means use your truck as a truck? Just because I don't haul 1000 lbs or tow a boat behind my truck, does not mean I don't use my truck as a truck. Sometimes I have a tool box thats pretty dirty, and I toss it in the back rather than having it in a truck of a car. Or maybe I just have a few large bags of , lets say clothes I want to donate. Thats something that may not fit in a truck of a car or maybe not even in an suv. So does this mean I'm not using my truck as a truck still? I once in a while haul things for my house, maybe some plywood or some drywall. Recently some stone yard edging for my in-laws.

So my point in all of this is, I don't always use my truck as a truck as some of you may say, but sometimes(even though it may be not that often) I do. I also plan on having a boat at some point. It will probably be well after my warranty is up. So like I said I get what the OP is saying, But also agree with my above quote.

Here is the question for me, because I may haul future heavy loads (boat for example). Do I just leave it alone since I have not had a problem, and just hope it will be ok in the future? Or do I go and try for the TSB?:confused:. If it wasn't for the everyone talking about the TSB, I wouldn't know about a possible future problem.

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I don't understand your quandary. I mean, why not just load up with sand bags, to demonstrate the problem (rough ride), and get the TSB performed? Is it because you don't like the idea of a rough ride all the time because of the firmer suspension? I am pretty sure that is why Toyota didn't see fit to include the stiffer suspension: most people want the cushy ride as they haul around ping-pong balls.

Also, I don't see this as an issue: I personally know of a couple guys who bought Ford and Chevy pickups and had suspension mods performed (air springs), at their expense. The loads were within their rated tow capacities but they wanted to level their trucks and stop the bouncing in back.

Also, and IMO: people have unrealistic expectations of what the ratings really mean. In particular: I don't think they necessarily mean that the truck WON'T hit bump stops at rated load-out. Added is that I also think that Toyota dealers are probably inept at selling TRUCKS, because a true TRUCK salesman will ask you how you are going to USE it AS A TRUCK and help you understand a particular truck's limitations and suggest how to outfit (mods) to suit that purpose.

Or suggest alternate vehicles if the one you're getting is completely unsuitable, which severely hurts Toyota as they have severely limited choices. Ford, Chevy and Dodge don't.

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    OP, as far as most TSB's go, I think you're correct but you should put the leaf spring TSB into it's own category.
    I think the dealerships made the leaf spring TSB for the owners more than technicians in the way they handle customers. I was arguing back and forth with my service department because my truck was bottoming out, they're response was trying to sell me a Tundra... They didn't back down until Toyota Customer Service e-mailed me the TSB and I printed it out and showed it to them. They should have been able to find this quicker than me if you claim the purpose of a TSB is to quickly diagnose and fix a problem. I don't feel Toyota used this TSB for it's true intention and made it into a unofficial recall for an inadequate part.

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I get what your saying, but I have not had a problem, yet. I don't really care about the "soft ride". I have an off-road after all. I wasn't worried about the ride. The thing is, I don't really know if I would have a problem, and since I have not had an issue with it, I don't see a point in loading it up with sand bags just to test it. What I was saying though is to the OP, if I didn't know about the TSB, then I may not know about a possible future problem. But also agree that it should be able to haul/tow what it says it will.

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    AMEN..

I would want the CHOICE of ride. IMO it is easier to beef up than soften up suspension. I like the soft ride and airbags would allow both the ability to carry heavy loads and revert back to a nice ride.
    I rode trucks before that required a load to ride halfway decent. Otherwise it felt like riding on a washboard...(sort of like the new BMWs)

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    IT CAN and does..Its just that the guys who "bought an off road truck" and don't care about the "ride" suddenly care about the ride when the truck is loaded up and the truck is riding harsh hitting the bump stops!! Although few who demand the Springs really NEED them for their intended purpose. Load bearing.

One cannot demand a fix today they "may need tomorrow".

My claim was the TSBs were for technicians MORE than customers. Customers tend to abuse the process and reason for them. Service advisers are mostly unaware of them. And yes if there is a stated "problem" with a vehicle the customer should have to demonstrate there IS an actual problem. A TSB is not automatic. UNLESS it is a safety issue. Nothing is perfectly made. No SW is perfectly written. Toyota has obviously decided very few people complain in the states about load carrying comfort and care more about a decent ride empty. I believe This is because Ford has always had dibs on a nice riding suspension.

16. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I agree that the TSB is more for technicians.

However..... It's a WONDERFUL thing for consumers. WHY?

Because when something isn't working to your expectations - or better yet - what the brochure says the vehicle is expected to do.... consumers use the wonderful internet to search. What usually comes up?
    TSB's...... and knowing that we 'the consumer' can go back to the dealership and get these TSB's done to make our truck run more like its supposed to (again, according to the brochure - so to speak) - then I'd say its a win-win for the consumer no matter who the TSB's were made for.

Win win for both consumer & Technicians.

17. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but being able to haul a certain amount of weight does not mean riding on the bump stops. The bump stops to me always meant last resort of a truck. Again I could be wrong. Also again I have not had a problem, but I don't want one either.

I may also be directing my anger or frustration at you (for a lack of better words) of what I feel Toyota may have failed at. On the other hand, you brought it up.:D

18. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota did not fail. They have determined correctly in the US anyway, most people do not use this truck for heavy hauling and prefer the softer ride. . It is something they decided they will "fix" when a customer demonstrates the issue. I guess they feel they would sell less trucks if it rode hard off the lot unlevel and or raised even more to be level. Realize most people getting this done on these forums are for the lift aspect not the load carrying.

The when you read the reviews they all like the "ride" Its ironic none of the reviews I read indicated an issue with load carrying. I don;t think reviwers even load the trucks up..... which I find strange, It IS a truck and that SHOULD be part of what is reviewed. But again for the vast majority of people it is not an issue and they are not even aware another leaf can be added free.

Most of the trucks only hit the bump stops going over a bump loaded up. It is not a safety issue, only an uncomfortable ride (for those who claim not to care about a harsh ride AFTER the TSB... ) LOL .

If you do the TSB, from what I have read here you will have an unleveled truck without a load, and likely have to install new shocks to raise the front. I would rather spend that money on an Airbag kit and have an adjustable ride. Not to mention we bought trucks with plastic beds.....Hardly a great choice for heavy hauling

19. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    How is it possible that they were stating that the US and Canadian trucks could carry the same payload stock ?

20. Mar 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Uh because they CAN!!! Its just not as "comfortable" for US drivers....who likely would not buy a Tacoma if they were carrying heavy loads all the time. I personally would want a steel bed and a thicker tail gate if that were the case. Tacoma would not be my first choice for a heavy hauler by any stretch. I think most Americans agreed to that with their wallets. they want "cars" that have some truck capabilities. Tacoma fits that bill. Toyota is well aware of that and for those who do want to use the truck primarily in a utilitarian manner they have provided a solution and a trade off.

Products Discussed in

To Top