1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSS Recall -- New document from Toyota regarding trucks with "Pro" grills or lifts

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Arrieta578, May 7, 2019.

1. Jun 5, 2019 at 11:14 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    My TSS was giving me an error and would sy that it was off. when I checked the electronic settings it was on? I took apart the garnish and and I have never had any issue with it since.(Removed the thick backing mounting portion) only have the thin plexiglass part as the garnish. When I install my new headlights and install my front camera I'll silicone the sensor so water won't be an issue.
    My truck is lifted 6" and it works fine!
    I'm sure the dealer would give me some push back on it so I'm not even going to bother!
    I'll do it myself!

GillyLink likes this.
  2. Jun 5, 2019 at 11:18 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Probably because people like to discuss things on a Forum??
    If you don't want to see it just don't click on the thread? It's really easy and actually save time.
    You're not required to click on threads you're not interested in. That's the beauty of a Forum.

Have a Great Night!

3. Jun 6, 2019 at 12:09 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yeah this is a can of worms that Toyota has on their hands. But they have numbers on their side. The vast majority of owners don't mod their trucks. So what might seem like a big problem on the forum might not be a "big problem" at all.

Nonetheless, it totally sucks for die-hard Tacoma fans like many on the forum that like to mod our trucks. Sure seems to me that Toyota would want to be on the same page with all the dealers on this issue from a liability standpoint. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence here on the forum that muddies the waters. Dealer response is all over the map.

I also had my truck apply the brakes when it absolutely shouldn't have and I almost got rear ended by an F-150 at 60mph. It was scary as F. It made me wish I didn't have TSS. And it made me wish I didn't have to turn it off manually every time I got on the highway.

Sometimes simple is better.

4. Jun 6, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    Rockoma5

Rockoma5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Louis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport Lifted
    I threw it out

5. Jun 6, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    personalt

personalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why - they are just saying the are turning the PCS so it doesnt turn on every time. It just takes the state you left it in last time you turned the key off. Ie they are allowing you to leave it off or on.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  6. Jun 6, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    Gatordog

Gatordog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD SPORT DCLB4x4
    I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm- A: really missing my Gen 2 I traded for the Gen 3 and B: I'm seriously considering selling or trading the truck in for a non Toyota truck. I'm that pissed and disappointed in they way this has been handled. Shit even the service advisor told me he is scared what the customers' reaction is going to be every time he has to ask for the signed waiver. They have sold many new lifted trucks, like mine. I noticed no new ones on my visit. Guessing this shit show ended that practice.

7. Jun 6, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    jmauvais

jmauvais Received 2 votes in a poll one time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    ...stuff
    My dad has a 2nd Gen. I honestly prefer my third gen. Maybe I’m the odd man out on this forum

44-16 Taco, STrooper, JNG and 2 others like this.
  8. Jun 7, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    Have my 2018 in for 5k service at the dealer right now. I’d put an OEM Pro Grille and Garnish in a week ago. They “followed” Toyota’s guidance to the letter, and would not perform the update, and required that I sign a waiver.

Dealer was professional and courteous, even understanding. That is appreciated. I will be calling Toyota Corporate and lodging a complaint (for all that will be worth). Buying a truck, and properly changing one OEM part for another, should not effect how service is performed. Really disappointed with Toyota about this.

9. Jun 7, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    Roboto

Roboto Member

Member:
    That's strange. My taco has an oem pro grill and garnish too. But they only asked me to sign the waiver. They even replaced a new censor with 3 tiny vent holes on it so there's no that sticky foam on my sensor right now. You should call other toyota dealers

KY_Rob[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 7, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    The only other Toyota dealer that’s reasonably close is owned by the same place.

I’m calling Toyota and filing a complaint. They’ve dropped the ball on this big time. Spend the money to buy OEM parts, and then they refuse to service it because of trim level? That’s not right, and is poor customer service. Especially since they have the ability to correct the potential issue.

11. Jun 7, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    So, at least everything still works properly when turned back on. Dealer said they updated the software AND installed the “protective shield” over the sensor. Got home and checked, and they either never installed said cover OR it fell off on the way home.

Also noticed this exceptionally shitty yellow sticker plastered to the out facing side of my steering column:
    4772DCDE-EC82-462A-8BF3-95D2512368E5.jpg

It has also “fallen off”...

12. Jun 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    rockydog

rockydog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited, 2020 Porsche Macan, 2002 BMW Z3
    Had the recall performed yesterday. OEM Pro grille and garnish. Dealer added gasket and recalibrated TSS, no questions.

13. Jun 8, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    dmo1028

dmo1028 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB AT TRD Sport 4x4 Quicksand
    265/70/17 Wildpeak’s on TRD Pro SEMA’s

Does TSS stay on or do you have to activate it each time you start your truck? I’ve seen conflicting answers on this.

14. Jun 8, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    Does this only affect the cruise control mode? (I never use it)
    Never sign the waiver! That's just Toyota trying to get out of any legal liability! Should something happen they need to prove that what you did to your vehicle caused it.
    And in this case since it's a known issue the only way they can get out of it; is if you sign the waiver!
    If you are installing OEM parts and haven't messed with the unit they will have a very hard time to deny any claim.
    They're using scare tactics to get you to sign the waiver.
    It's up to you? But I personally would never sign anything that waives (Gives up) my right to go after the ones responsible for the problem!
    What if what they are doing isn't really fixing the problem? And it happens to you?
    You would have no legal recourse because you have already given up your right to go after them!

They would need to prove that what happened was solely caused by the modification you installed. And had absolutely nothing to do with the recall issue! At best they could claim your modification was a contributing factor, but that would not completely clear them from liability.
    If you sign the waiver? You're on your own!

pop.tremuloides likes this.
  15. Jun 8, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    Yotaaa91

Yotaaa91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR MT
    Reading this makes me even more glad I opted for a 2017 when I almost pulled the trigger on a 2019. Hard to pass up the iconic 2.7 5spd combo!

I feel your pain on the dealership service departments being absolute morons though. I'm not even super knowledgeable in regards to my truck compared to other members here, but I feel like i'm talking to a bunch of 5th graders when I explain things to my service department..

KY_Rob likes this.
  16. Jun 8, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    Once you turn it back on, it stays on the next time the truck is started...at least mine does. If you turn it off, and then turn off the truck, it remains off the next time the truck is started.

dmo1028[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 8, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    Quoting my own post as an update...

Upon closer examination of my sensor, there does indeed seem to be some sort of foam liner behind or around the inside pocket (facing the front of the truck) of the sensor. Nothing outside that’s easily visible. So I retract my snark at the dealer over that much of it.
    Seems to me, they did the TSB work and then told me not to use it. Smh. Just some weird shit on Toyota’s part, all the way around.

ERod27 likes this.
  18. Jun 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    I wonder if that sticker’s text was mandated by Toyota or drawn up by the individual dealership.

If Toyota is the source of the sticker there’s no reason any dealership should not be doing the same with the recall. And then if the sticker ‘falls off’ the next day then it’s on you not them.

19. Jun 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    Don’t really know. Didn’t seem like a cheap sticker...it just wasn’t installed firmly enough to take hold and stay put ;)

Hook78[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jun 8, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    It just keeps getting better. After re-reading the wording on my previous post showing the sticker that ‘fell off’, I noticed the sticker referred to the owners manual. How in the world would my owners manual refer to something like this you ask?
    D893041B-FBBA-43A7-9C9F-B930A53F9A49.jpg

They went through my glovebox, dug out the owners manual, and put this silly piece of paper in the TSS section, and put everything back in, nice and tidy. Didn’t even know they were in there.
    Need to get a big purple rubber dick, and slather it up with something gooey, and keep it on top of the owners manual from now on...just for fun.

44-16 Taco and RKEWL like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top