1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSS Recall -- New document from Toyota regarding trucks with "Pro" grills or lifts

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Arrieta578, May 7, 2019.

1. Jun 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    Taco1.1

Taco1.1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    Debadged, Kenwood 9905 Head Unit, Tinted Windows, Remote Start
    I have to give my dealer props for doing it with no BS despite having different tires and a knock off pro-grill.

Norsemanvike likes this.
  2. Jun 15, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    OffroadJet

OffroadJet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sebastian, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Offroad 4x4 - Manual
    in my experience. i think the older service writers dont know and the young tech dont care enough to "complain" about after market stuff. the young tech dont get paid enough to care really. plus they have cars or trucks all done up and understand the game

Taco1.1 likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    In British Columbia, where I live, if you buy a Jeep, a Subaru, an Audi, a Hyundai, a Ram, a VW, a Volvo, or a Toyota, you are likely buying from the same dealership company. That’s how “arms length” the dealers actually are from Toyota Corporate, at least in BC.

Jim Pattison Auto Group is so powerful now, at least in BC, I would think Toyota Corporate has to consider carefully jerking them around, which is likely why I’ve never had any problem whatsoever at my Toyota dealer. They are helpful and reasonable. No VINs for Pro Grilles, no issue with recalls and TSBs. It appears the dealer-owner relationship comes first. JPAG can dictate to Toyota to some of extent, because they can always pickup slack in their other brands if Toyota becomes a problem.

The Jim Pattison auto group selection of brands:

https://www.jpautogroup.com/

01E558A6-D229-42CB-A998-DA98FF72E1AC.jpg

GillyLink and Alnmike like this.
  4. Jun 15, 2019 at 11:23 PM
    Aldo98229

Aldo98229 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aldo
    Bellingham, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Is ProMaster a brand now...? Or are they too OCD to leave one box blank?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Stocklocker likes this.
  5. Jun 15, 2019 at 11:29 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    They had to put something there after they lost Skoda

6. Jun 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Really good point. The power of dealership conglomerates...that’s a pretty decent explanation for the varied response. It’s a great discussion about what real power is, regardless of the ‘rules’.

Still curious about who is accepting the additional legal risk when the recall is done on modded trucks. Someone else had a good point about the decision being made by lower level service folks who may be accepting risk but wouldn’t bear the burden if there was a consequence.

7. Jun 17, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    NO entity is worse than Southeast Toyota and the Moran family, Can't even buy a Genuine TOYOTA Care extended Service Contract..Have to buy Fidelity which is owned by yep...The Moran Family. ( You can buy a Genuine Toyota ESC from Internet sellers though) They put $700+ options on the Monroney at the port. Crazy...

GSDLVR123 likes this.
  8. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    bunz559

bunz559 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    So Ive read through 17 pages. After they turn off your TSS, is there a light on the dash? Also, has anyone checked to see if Carista or steering wheel can reactivate the TSS system?

9. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    Yes, once the dealer turns off the TSS, there is a light on the dash.
    Fortunately, the steering wheel controls can be used to turn everything right back on, and they stay on.

GillyLink and bunz559[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jul 2, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    Cerveza1980

Cerveza1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4x4 White
    None yet
    My dealership must have fucked it up then. WHen I got my truck there was no light that the TSS was off. When I turn it off, it turns back on when my truck is power cycled.

I asked my service manager what was going on since I confirmed that it would be off, and stay off when I power cycled the truck. Or I can turn it on and would stay on when truck was power cycled, before I dropped off the truck. He said I now have to talk to their team lead.

THe sticker and the document I singed said not to use the auto-speed control for cruise control, but the damn thing wont turn off with TSS.

GillyLink likes this.
  11. Jul 2, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    I had to sign the same waiver, got the same sticker, and the owners manual insert. All said not to use the system. Turned mine on before I left the dealership and it’s been on ever since. Also, mine works just fine. Does exactly what it’s supposed to do. I’d say they messed up something.

bunz559 likes this.
  12. Jul 2, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    bunz559

bunz559 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Conflicting experiences then. LOL! Just trying to figure out what's everyone's experience as I assume tons and tons of people are going through this.

To confirm, we can deny the service correct? Because if the service department does actually disable the TSS, there will be a perminant dash light on.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  13. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    txst

txst Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 6MT
    TSB0058-18, TRD Pro Grill
    I have a Toyota Pro grill, garnish and wiring harness. I went in for "Phase 1" of the recall last Friday where they inspected my truck. At first they said the recall only applied to trucks "with the round Toyota emblem". I told them to take another look and handed them my recall notice. They took the truck back to the shop and found the documentation regarding "unauthorized modifications" and presented me with the waiver to sign. They told me that they had to order the part and would call me when they came in. I received the call that the parts were in and took my truck to the dealer for "Phase 2" of the recall today. When I got the truck back, the paperwork said "Installed 88278-0C020, which from what I can tell, is the correct seal for the Pro grills. However, I don't see any evidence of the seal.TSS.jpg

Is this what it looks like for others who have had the recall done with the Pro grill?

KY_Rob likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    The seal (which is just some foam pad) for the pro grilles goes between the sensor and grille. I can see it in your photo just below the top screw.

15. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    txst

txst Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport Access Cab, 6MT
    TSB0058-18, TRD Pro Grill
    OK - Thanks. From what I saw in Post #208, it looked like my sensor didn't have the vent holes and required the foam to be wrapped around somehow. Kind of hard to see in the scanned document.

Update: I went out and looked at it more closely - there is definitely foam wrapped around near the upper screw. Thanks, KY-Rob

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    KY_Rob likes this.
  16. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    Rockefelluh

Rockefelluh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRDOR 4x4
    Update, they ordered the parts after looking at my truck. I have 265/75 r16 tires but no issue from them.

17. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    I believe for people with the pro grill they actually seal outside the grill. The piece you have to take off to change out the grill.

18. Jul 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    Sinagua

Sinagua Beerdom Brewing - brewing in the shadows

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Harrisburg, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCSB, 2022 Accord Sport Hybrid
    Dobinsons Suspension, SOS sliders and slimline bumper, Smittybilt winch, Skinny Geolanders and a tune
    Took my truck in today and they let me know that they did the service, put the sticker and noted that my truck was modified due to the size larger tires. The service writer then stated that the tires were not going to affect it and turned the collision system back on. Holy crap, talk about a corporation just covering themselves.

TimC and Norsemanvike like this.
  19. Jul 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    I was in today for my 10k.

The dealer told me the procedure and that on any truck with a modified ride height they were required to disable whatever.

I declined the recall and they basically said no problem.

bunz559 likes this.
  20. Jul 6, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    the_hungrypanda

the_hungrypanda New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport DC
    Bilstein 5100, 1 inch block, ProComp Syndrome 17x9 -6 offset, BFG KO2 285/70/17
    At Toyota of El Cajon for the recall and they gave me the waiver due to my 285 tire and 1inch lift. It's interesting because this dealer sells Tacomas premodified and lifted higher than what I have. I asked the service writer if those customers who buy a premodified truck will get the same treatment and he said "yes".

So even modified they'll do the recall but they'll tell you that they have to disable the TSS system and you have to sign the waiver. However, you can turn the system back on if the light bugs you. They warn you that the system will probably act up if you do the recall and turn it back on.

After talking to two service writers, it sounds like they're not very well informed of the recall and it's a guessing game on whether or not it will fix the issue. The main guy I talked to couldn't even tell me what type of work is required for the recall.

My truck is being worked on now and I signed the waiver.

2nd2none likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top