1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSS Recall -- New document from Toyota regarding trucks with "Pro" grills or lifts

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Arrieta578, May 7, 2019.

1. Jul 8, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    Dcox

Dcox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport AC MT
    Grill swap, level, tires and wheels, bed lights, tailgate actuator
    Took my '18 in today and faced this waver requirement over my 265/70R17 BFGs. Ironically, I replaced the Sport grill with an SR5 grill but they didn't catch it so it must be the Pro grill they have issues with. At any rate, the service guy made it sound like my truck will wreck at any moment if the TSS wasn't turned off. Really? Over a 1 inch tire lift?
    I couldn't figure out why I would want the sensor sealed and updated if they were just going to turn it off anyway so I left. The system works just fine so I'm thinking, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
    FYI for those that asked.. I checked through my OBDII settings and didn't see an option to turn the TSS on/off on start-up so it must be part of the reprogramming.

2. Jul 8, 2019 at 10:06 PM
    pop.tremuloides

pop.tremuloides Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    DBACK HD, Armor, SP9100, lights...etc
    Is there a sticker that should be applied after the “recall” for this?

Nothing under my hood.

3. Jul 9, 2019 at 1:32 AM
    tacochep

tacochep Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 S White Taco DCSB TRD 4x4
    scs ray 10's, demello sliders, meso stuff
    Just purchased a 19 trd offroad a couple weeks ago, asked if there was any recalls and they said it wouldnt be on the floor if it had any... should i be worried? i do plan on putting on a knock off pro grill with oem garnish etc

4. Jul 9, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    pop.tremuloides

pop.tremuloides Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    DBACK HD, Armor, SP9100, lights...etc
    Unless this doesn't work for you check this....

https://www.toyota.com/recall?srchi...XhWaPT_cvE4WtquWVkkaAlnyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Put the VIN number in and see what it shows.

I found mine months before the email happened.

You should be good but do a "discount double check".....LOL

5. Jul 11, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    DP1989

DP1989 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA
    ONCE MY 3 INCH SPACER WAS INSTALLED WHILE DRIVING I HAD A MESSAGE POP UP SAYING BRAKE. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN I BELIVE IT TO BE COMING FROM THE TSS SNESOR MAYBE?

6. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Para

Para Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC Off Road
    I picked up my 2019 Off Road in April and my VIN doesn't show a recall, so whatever the issue is, they had caught it by the time they built mine. That being said, I have a Faux Pro Grill, OEM garnish and do have problems with the TSS turning itself off after driving for awhile. I'm kind of wondering if a collision center wouldn't be willing to re-calibrate these to the "pro model" height. I think the maintenance manual says that if the grill is removed and reinstalled, it needs to be re-calibrated so the collision centers should be able to do that work.

7. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    S550ilver

S550ilver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bartlett, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    ICON Stage 5 Lift, 18x9 Fuel Shok, Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/65/18 tires
    Ok so my VIN had no recalls, i just bought it maybe three weeks ago...19 Tacoma TRD DCSB. I am going to keep the stock Off-Road Grill, BUT do a 2.75" ICON coilover lift and 285/65/18 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. With that lift/wheel size, will the TSS sensor work properly or might I have some issues?

8. Jul 13, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    smallfrye

smallfrye Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stock
    Got the recall done today when I took my 2018 in for service and had to sign waiver due to larger tires and pro gill. The system wasn't disabled, got no sticker nor anything stuck into my owners manual.

9. Jul 13, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    MtnFisher

MtnFisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ZeroDrift
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD ACLB V6 MT
    Currently running Goodyear DuraTracs with "ghetto" wheels
    Took my 2019 in this am. Service manager stated they could not perform the recall unless I put the stock wheels and suspension back. I politely turned down the recall and did not sign any waiver. No sticker either.

I do plan on sealing the back side of the TSS sensor with silicone caulk maybe.

GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  10. Jul 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    PNW MG Taco

PNW MG Taco New Member

Member:
    I have a 2018 DCSB TRD Sport with no mod’s and have had the TSS act up on me twice. Both occasions I was on the freeway driving between 65-70 mph with no one in front or on the side of me. The TSS activated and slammed on the brakes for a quick sec!!! I took it to Toyota and they told me that they couldn’t find an error code or make it happen during a test drive. Now Toyota has a recall for the exact problem.

Toyota is covering their ass in fear of lawsuits over this. Go to any Toyota dealership and they will have a Tacoma in the showroom with an aftermarket lift, 285’s, and a TRD grill with the TSS still on. These are not factory TRD Pro’s that came stock with this grill or lift (I know, Pro’s don’t come with 285’s). It’s BS that the dealership can sell these, but if we do the same thing they want us to sign a form and turn off a safety feature that comes with the truck.

BTW, I went in for my 10K service today and asked about recalibrating my TSS. I told them that I’m lifting my truck and installing a TRD grill. The service writer told me to wait until I get all of this done so they can calibrate the TSS with the mod’s – wtf!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Norsemanvike likes this.
  11. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill
    They better get their story strait, the best way not to CYA is to claim something is mandated by Toyota when it is not.

That is the worst of all worlds from a liability perspective.

12. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    The_Devil

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Yeah, you got the answer from a source you trust. I would have to argue that not performing a recall that Toyota made available for fear of being sued, is a great way to get sued if the vehicle is involved in a collision that may have been prevented with use of the recall.

It's up to Toyota to say when it is and is not applicable, not for the dealer to make a less than scientific assessment on.

Now I'm basing this on the answer I was given by my service manager that Toyota recommends the procedure but does not stipulate that the vehicle not be modified.

I had to argue because they originally did not want to perform the update due to my lift.

13. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    Im sad that I can only like this post once.

14. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    2nd2none

2nd2none Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro. Lifted, rims, tires, yada yada yada
    How'd it go? I went to El Cajon for my 15k service about 6 weeks ago and got the same speech. The service writer made it sound like there was nothing I could do with the light being on. Something about them having to "PCS will be configured to retain the last setting following a key cycle." Sounds like if you turn it back on the light might go off but you have to do that every time you start the truck. I told them to not do the TSB when I went in.

15. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    The_Devil

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    The funny thing about these disclaimers, is that they actually invite more scrutiny and the plaintiff's attorneys are more likely to dig in and dive in because of this memo.

Example, you get in a crash and want to sue, sure it can be used to argue, that their liability is limited, but it's up to how effective they are at arguing the fact, how consistent and accurate the information is etc. In my case the service advisor could not explain anything,w and does was told that Toyota did not want to spend the money on a solution for the root cause.....kind of a dumb statement as it undermines the documentation and does not help Toyota's cause.

Secondly, if I kill /injure another party, Toyota can try to absolve themselves of liability using the memo, but the 3rd party's attorneys will argue Toyotas responsibility was to fix the issue in it's entirety including vehicles modified to a reasonable extent. They will argue Toyota knows vehicles are modified and even permits dealerships to sell the parts and services to modify the vehicles. They will argue that giving the owner an opt out, or failing to offer a remedy that worked on all vehicles is proof that they put profits over the safety of anyone who shares the road.

Can Toyota provide a fix for every vehicle?....Yes. Is it something that will be cheap?....no.
    Are attorneys going to point that out.....

ERod27 likes this.
  16. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    The_Devil

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I think you have summed it up in plain english, but It's up to a jury to decide if they can be held liable.

These documents are often drafted up with wishful thinking.

17. Jul 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    For those that want to seal the TSS sensor themselves, does anyone have a couple good pictures of the area(s) needed to be sealed?

18. Aug 5, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    oneup714

oneup714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All show no go Super White Tacoma TRD Mall Crawler
    Just had mine done and made me sign the stupid waiver, I can careless. If you need a sensor to drive then you shouldn't be driving at all. 20190805_185130.jpg

19. Aug 13, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    TRD-ODB

TRD-ODB Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport
    I'm scheduled to take my 2018 Taco to the dealership later this week to have this TSS recall done, however they informed me that because the grill was replaced for the TRD Pro version, that their service dept would have to disable the TSS feature from automatically turning on.

Such Bullshit from Toyota. My dealership even sells modded Tacomas. I'm sure all of those will have no issues with this recall.

I want to have my truck up to date on any sort of recall but I shouldn't have to sacrifice an important safety feature because I swapped out a basic part like a grill. Especially when the grill I have is OEM. My truck works perfectly fine and I've never had any issue with using the TSS.

Should I just avoid having this recall done?

20. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    mlr69

mlr69 I had a savings account before I joined TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    I'm in the same boat, except mine is for a lift not a grill. When the dealer tells me this recall is available, i decline it. There's nothing wrong with my TSS (yet) so I'm not gonna have my front radar disabled for no good reason.

Products Discussed in

To Top