1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tucson Differential update

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by 68vert, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Dec 1, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Tucson has two well known differential shops in town. Been to both and Tucson Diff will always have my business.

I went there to get a quote for a gear change and locker or LSD. Bill and I discussed my plans & intended use for the truck. When asked why I'm only doing the rear - well... I bought a front diff from a guy in SD that supposedly has 4:88's. Bill response was, well let us take a look inside to verify it has 4:88's and theres nothing wrong. I was kinda dreading that call with you need this and that for the front. A week later, Bill calls me and says. Yep it has 4:88's and it was built right. Come pick it up.

WOW! I thought that kinda customer service is gone. Bill just started to restore my faith in humanity.

Now that I think about it, when I was there - I overheard Bill say to a customer who was complaining about his quote. Well, the only other shop I'd go to for differential work in Tucson is this place. Who the heck refers biz to a competitor, especially to someone complaining? An honest man thats who. Oh, a heads up to the complainer - I've been to that other shop and their initial quote is lower. But expect a call saying we couldnt save the bearings, etc, etc.

wilcam47, cryptolyme, tacotoe and 2 others like this.
  2. Dec 1, 2020 at 5:54 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
  3. Oct 19, 2021 at 6:05 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Update 10/2021:

I waited 9 months for Tucson Diff to free up their schedule so they can regear the rear of my Tundra plus install an LSD. This is even after a friend told me about his recent bad experience there. Both of us were longtime customers.

I still feel Bill does great work, but he ost his only other FT employee a few months ago, and is having trouble replacing him. In the interim, he has some PT guys come in after school. This is not working well. Since Bill has to work in the shop till the PT guys come in, he is stretched way too thin.

My recent experience-After having my truck there for 3weeks (not including the 9 month wait), Bill said my truck will be ready on Friday. I show up at 2:30 with my wife and find the whole frontend of my truck was totally blown apart. Three young guys standing underneath it with their mouths totally wide open. I was like WTF! Bill forgot only the rear needed to be done. Told me to come back at 5:00. We return at 5:00 and every dash light was on in my dash cluster. Driving home, I hear clanging sounds. Upon checking my limiting straps were dangling, and found deep gouges through the powder paint on both of my Total Chaos LCA's.

Got all the dash lights to reset except my airbag light. When I mentioned it to Bill, he was polite about it but as expected, "couldnt of been us".

Not so much pissed as I'm disappointed. Waited 9 months when I could've went to another shop. Then after scheduling a date 3 months out, it was another 3 weeks. Get my truck back, I have to fix stuff they f-d up, which they shouldnt of been touching in the first place. Then when confronted with it, didnt own up.

tacotoe likes this.
  4. Oct 19, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    DonKeyote

DonKeyote Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only person in AZ doing diff work for me is @ZUK in Phoenix

you won’t find a more skilled person and none of the troubled youths around.

tclavell and MR E30 like this.
  5. Oct 20, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    aroma

aroma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snottsdale AZ
    That sucks. 9 months? that should have been your clue to exit.

wilcam47 and MR E30 like this.
  6. Oct 20, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Yeah, my wife reminds me of my faults. And loyalty is one of them.

7. Oct 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    DonKeyote

Member:
    I see what you did there

BeatnikFink likes this.
  8. Oct 20, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Ummm....we might have our signals crossed here. It was not meant as an underhanded crack or left handed comment.

9. Oct 20, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    DonKeyote

Member:
    I thought the irony was the person who should value your “loyalty” most….criticizing your loyalty.

BeatnikFink likes this.
  10. Dec 1, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    cins_life

cins_life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cindy
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    I had my son’s truck towed here 3 weeks ago because the differential seized up. After speaking with Bill on the phone, he said it would be a week. Three weeks later, I still don’t even have a quote. On Monday he said it’s rolling into shop now and that he’d call yesterday. I didn’t hear from him so I finally drove by and the truck is in the same spot. It’s so stressful and frustrating because if he had been honest about lead time and his staffing situation, I could have had it towed elsewhere. In the meantime we’re racking up rental car costs. After reading this, it may be best to eat another tow cost and take it elsewhere. I just don’t know another shop that’s recommended.

11. Dec 1, 2021 at 5:33 AM
    DonKeyote

Member:
    Have @ZUK in Phoenix do the work at this point. Loyalty is costing you time and money.

12. Dec 1, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    cins_life

cins_life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cindy
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Phoenix is 2 hours away. That would be a very expensive tow!!

13. Dec 1, 2021 at 5:48 AM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Sounds like things are still a mess there. Never did hear back about the replacement clockspring he said he'd get on order.

I had western diff work on my previous Tacoma. They did good work but prices weren't totally transparent.

Alignment Brake & Suspension List differentials as one of the items they work on. I had an alignment done there and the owner seems like a good guy.

There's also 4WP. I got a quote there but the price was like 1-1/2 times and I never got a good feeling there.

14. Dec 1, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    cins_life

cins_life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cindy
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    I was looking at Tucson Driveline and Balance. Of course I have no experience with them either.

15. Dec 1, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Try calling alignment brake & suspension. The owner typically answers the phone and works the front desk. Worth a shot.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  16. Dec 2, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    swegin

swegin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    You can try Lloyd"s Transmissions & Drive. It's a few miles from Tucson Diff. Talk to Darrell. Darrell is a Toyota guy but a lot of Jeepers go there.

17. Dec 6, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    mrcyan

mrcyan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    Saint David, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1996 xcab V6
    I second the motion for Western Differential, but he is also always busy. I don't think that he has any employees either. So... there are no idiot employees to mess up your truck, but I can't say that he would have time for you.
    https://www.westerndiff.com/

18. Dec 8, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    cins_life

cins_life New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cindy
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Just an update to give credit when credit it due…I stuck with Tucson differential. He finally was able to hire a few employees and get caught up. After looking at the diff, he determined it could b be repaired instead of replaced (which is what the other shop wanted to do). We ended up saving $2000 going with Tucson Differential. He offers a 2 yr warranty which is great. He also gave my son explicit instructions regarding breaking in the differential which was very helpful.

DirtyTtaco likes this.
  19. Dec 22, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    lm546

lm546 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 dcsb OR, 2002 double cab, 1985 Toyota pickup
    I just happened to stumble across this thread. I second Lloyds transmissions. Darrell does amazing work and is extremely honest. Like swegin said, Darrel is a big time Toyota guys and knows what he is doing. I have had him regear 3 different 3rd members and will be having a front differential rebuilt soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top