1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra caliper leaking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BlackSportD, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Nov 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    So I bought the Callahan tundra caliper kit on Amazon:
    FRONT Powder Coated Red [2] Calipers + [2] Rotors + Quiet Low Dust [4] Ceramic Pads Performance Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOBMFAY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_R0Z5BbXPYV68H

And the driver's side caliper leaks from the caliper seam that runs up the middle and bolts that hold the two peices together.

I've never seen this before, I've seen piston leaks, but not the seam between the two caliper halves. What usually causes this? Contacted the seller but the truck is out of commission for who knows how long.

I take it maybe the surface area is not true and it wouldn't be worth my time to buy a rebuild kit?

2. Nov 10, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    Kleenax

Kleenax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4WD V6 Auto - Mica Green
    New frame & stuff CBI bolt-on Sliders
    Sounds like they messed up when rebuilding the caliper.
    Try and get them (Amazon) to send you a new one BEFORE you have to send the parts back. If you are a Prime member they will probably do it if you explain to one of their customer service people the situation you are in.

BlackSportD[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    A part of me just wants to go to NAPA and get one, and get back on the road already, but will give Amazon/seller a chance.

4. Nov 10, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    Tim7902

Tim7902 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma doublecab
    When I did my tundra brake upgrade, i got two reman calipers from advance auto. One of them did the same exact thing. I read once the calipers are disassembled to be re'man'ed they are hard to get sealed back like from the factory. Advance swapped out the leaky caliper for a another one with no issues.

5. Nov 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    The seller contacted me for make and model of truck so that they can send another, I sent it but haven't heard back. Hope something is coming soon.

6. Nov 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I don't think a caliper re-build kit would include the gasket between the 2 halves.
    I re-built my Tundra calipers for the upgrade, because I got the OEM calipers from
    a wrecking yard, and didn't want to assume they were in perfect condition.

The kit I got (from a dealer, about $30 I believe) only included the o-rings,
    dust covers. and springs. Did not include pistons.

Products Discussed in

To Top