1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tuning an AVN 6620 in a Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by David McLaurin, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Aug 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    David McLaurin

David McLaurin [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma Sport TRD
    LOTS of stereo
    Hello.

I'm having some difficulty going from a pioneer head unit to an Eclipse. It seems like the Eclipse is really heavy on lower midrange. Some songs sound great with the HU eq almost flat on all levels (Cept bass freq). Other songs are extremely overpowered on low-mids (Lower freq vocals and guitar/bass guitar). When I say extremely overpowered I mean ear piercing to the point of pain. It also seems like there is some midrange escaping into the rear tweeters (making it even more ear piercing).

Most of the problem is coming from the rear speakers (Which are right behind my head). I'm using focal components all around and was convinced I could make it sound better with this Eclipse than I could with my Pioneer.

I will probably try adjusting my rear crossover/gain to filter out some of these powerful mids. I'd like to avoid having to adjust my eq for every song (if possible).

1. Why should this sound so different than it did in my last car? I'm using most of the same equipment (all that changed was the HU and rear crossovers).

2. I'm using the Focal 165KF crossovers in for Focal 165KPs. Could the crossovers be the problem?

3. I know changing HU and Vehicle will make an impact, but I almost don't even recognize the sound. I purchased a test frequency CD to help me tune, but I feel there is something "wrong" with the rear speakers. I never had problems with ear-piercing sound before (even using components in back).

Thanks!

David

2. Aug 19, 2008 at 5:03 PM
    David McLaurin

David McLaurin [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma Sport TRD
    LOTS of stereo
    I wanted to update you guys on what happened (even know this thread is old). I recently found part of the problem. Apparently there is no crossover in the Eclipse AVN-6620. When i tried turning the amplifier crossovers waaaaay up it really cleaned my sound up.

On the other hand, I'm still getting a very different signal in back. When fading to all rear I get almost nothing but midrange (cant even really hear vocals though) just filler sound. I found it hard to believe that i was getting a midrange filler sound from the rear speakers by accident. When contacting Precision power (directed electronics) I was informed that this amplifier MAY have crossover manipulation to get a bandpass signal. See link.

Welcome to Precision Power

I find this strange considering the only way to get it back into a full range of sound is by using the front crossover signal for rear and front (thus removing the ability to fade FRONT/REAR from HU. I have it sounding ALOT better now but I still miss my Pioneer that was half the price and sounded way better.

Products Discussed in

To Top