1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo BS Thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Clay_916, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    So the oil filter housing has the two plugs, which I use one to feed the turbo. I'm thinking, is it possible to use the other for oil return?

2. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:41 PM
    Sleipnir

Sleipnir Still havent found that stupid snipe

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    Same

What size drain? Looking really good.

I've heard of this too and it actually works well as long as the opr is mounted higher

3. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:42 PM
    Sleipnir

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    No, you would have positive pressure coming from that spot.

05Taco4x4[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    You've gotten to the point, where every thought that isn't about your kit, is secondary. Any time your not doing something that you need, your mind jumps back to the questions that bother it. They must be solved. Soon you'll wonder what it was like not to be consumed by those endless thoughts. Then when they are all corrected, the wash of relief will be like a heavy squat bar lifted from your back.

5. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    -10AN.

Sleipnir[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:46 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Building this for a customer.

Now that the T3 location jig is made, Time to start on the primaries. Going to be unique, to say the least.

Sleipnir, BananaMan and 05Taco4x4 like this.
  7. Mar 24, 2021 at 6:55 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    Just found an old pic of my car. Compound 1jz vvti on 40psi.
    New owner bought it for the swap/parts to go in another car.
    Oh the times we had.

Screenshot_20210324-184404_Instagram.jpg

buyobuyo, yota243, MadTaco461 and 5 others like this.
  8. Mar 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    On the upper oil pan I think he meant.

Sleipnir likes this.
  9. Mar 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    BananaMan

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    That looks fucking wild. I want to see proof that this thing burned rubber as fast as it looks like it did.

Sleipnir and Jon64l[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Mar 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I'd totally pay for a Lyft in that cabbie!

My project is way simpler in scope, than that magnificent chassis.

BananaMan and Sleipnir like this.
  11. Mar 24, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Sleipnir

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    You literally explained the next week of my life before even I knew it :goingcrazy:

That's cool as hell! I bet that thing ripped

12. Mar 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    I had an m8 bolt hole on my valve cover that I drilled out and tapped to accept the NPT fitting of the bleed line. I used one that was the farthest from the vent. No issues yet plus it likely provides extra lube for the cams.

Wanted to go this route actually but couldn’t find a cheap enough aluminum oil cap to drill a hole into. Would only require a crescent wrench to break the AN connection to remove the cap.

The bled pressure of the OPR would be less than than the pressure you would attempt to relieve it to. No bueno. Tying into the turbo return line would just cause additional flow to back it up more.

13. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:06 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    That looks fun

Sleipnir likes this.
  14. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    Sleipnir

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    Well little progress every day. Got the vacuum lines for the Turbosmart kompacts (which should be here tomorrow cause Full Race is amazing), vacuum cap to plug where the bov was and automotive Ts to fix the wastegate setup. The original one broke and the white T was only a temporary fix.

My 50mm flange intercooler elbow will be here Saturday and the Turbosmart Raceport Gen V will be here Sunday. After I reclock the turbo, install the bigger drain flanges, change the fittings and adjust the wastegate bracket, the truck should be mechanically sound. Then it's a matter of testing. Just clocking the turbo from 20* to 10* made considerable less smoke and only started smoking after running with a 392 Scat Pack a few times. He owned me at the top but when there turbos spool it's neck and neck

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

MadTaco461, BananaMan and Jon64l like this.
  15. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Sleipnir

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    BananaMan likes this.
  16. Mar 25, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    Sleipnir

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    Also added heat sheilding and made sure the drain line was free and out of the way. Dont worry, that line is already covered up top too.

[​IMG]

MadTaco461 and BananaMan like this.
  17. Mar 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM
    BananaMan

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    :eek: Holy close quarters Batman!

18. Mar 26, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Delta Integrale proximities, in that engine bay!

19. Mar 26, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    Sleipnir

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    You're telling me! I wanted to route the line to the outside of the steering column but there's no way the hose will fit properly so that the next best thing.

Is that an homage to the Lancia Delta Integrale?

20. Mar 26, 2021 at 6:20 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top