1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo BS Thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Clay_916, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Apr 8, 2022 at 5:39 PM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    I'm out of town at the moment, I was thinking do this around the block middle of the work day when I get back haha.

Torspd likes this.
  2. Apr 9, 2022 at 4:05 AM
    5 Lug Fury

5 Lug Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    V8 5 lug
    Got a lot of stuff lol
    Nawww my vote is Sunday morning.

3. Apr 15, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    dirtdigginjoe

dirtdigginjoe Resident meth-head

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Paco The Turbo Taco
    GTX 3071r @8psi...

Had this exact issue last summer. My cat was clogging. The primary was disintegrating and clogging the secondary. No codes, but crazy low on power (worse than stock) and wouldn't build more than 1lb of boost.
    Went with the URD Power Pipe, and the truck has never been better. I was doing temp checks, checking the WG actuator, going crazy. Then had a mechanic friend take a drive with me and he instantly said, "Yep, bad cat".

TL;DR- try swapping cats, or be a man and go catless. Best thing I did.

4. Apr 15, 2022 at 11:50 AM
    Rola2010

Rola2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    05Taco4x4 likes this.
  5. Apr 15, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    dirtdigginjoe

dirtdigginjoe Resident meth-head

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Paco The Turbo Taco
    GTX 3071r @8psi...

Lol, I had that done the 2nd week I owned my truck back in 2015 because it threw a P0420 code after trying to merge on the highway. That's the one that clogged on me...again haha.
    Not mad though, I sold it for $525 with it crumbling!

05Taco4x4 likes this.
  6. Apr 15, 2022 at 1:23 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Damn good deal! Lol

dirtdigginjoe likes this.
  7. Apr 15, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    VW/Audi t3 manifold I ordered. Getting excited as the parts pile gets bigger. $150 out of Poland is worth the gamble of fitment.

Head gasket, head bolts, oil pan, rod bearings, turbo manifold, 19# SMF(5# lighter), RS4 clutch kit known to hold 400/400 easily. To be robbed off of Jetta: front mount IC, oil pressure regulator, oil feed and return lines, water/meth setup, EGR gauge. To be ordered tonight are motor mounts, tranny mount, and stainless exhaust valves.

84D1BD7F-5A1A-4C6B-BCDD-8F27E2FF4BB1.jpg

MadTaco461, Torspd and Jon64l like this.
  8. Apr 15, 2022 at 9:15 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    You really have a resourceful knack for making great progress on a budget.

9. Apr 15, 2022 at 11:12 PM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Flywheel I scored off of FBook. It’s for a B5 2.7t S4 and he sent me the spent pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing for $250. These have a SAC (self adjusting clutch) like some Bimmers do. He apparently did not reset it when installed and smoked the disk. Flywheel looks fine and PP has some heat bluing.

After some lengthy digging online came to the findings a $200 Luk B7RS4 clutch kit will fit. It just needs a 2mm shim on the PP to get the step/stack right. Turns out a 5/16” lock washer from Tractor Supply slips over an m8 bolt and is exactly 2mm thick. I reset the SAC and bolt it up for a test fit. Put it in my baby press to activate the SAC and BINGO. Perfect setting. For $450 all in that ain’t too bad.

MadTaco461 and Torspd[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Apr 16, 2022 at 7:56 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Wow! I am impressed!

11. Apr 16, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Hypothetically question... Since all Toyota direct injection also are port injected periodically, would the stock ECU be able to just utilize both sets of injectors at the same time to maintain afr under some aftermarket boost? I mean in theory they have double fuel capacity needed to run properly, so 10 psi fueling shouldn't be an issue to keep up with right?

12. Apr 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Torspd and MadTaco461 like this.
  13. Apr 19, 2022 at 10:02 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    That’s so cool. Wait. Why am I watching a video when I already own that motor and have a turbo a bit smaller mounted to it, lol.

Pretty cool car. Sounds good. Video was a bit long. Also watched his build video.

Brake Weight likes this.
  14. Apr 20, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    It made great power. Wonder what transmission is behind it?

@MadTaco461 , when are you going to swap in a built engine, and turn it up???

15. Apr 20, 2022 at 1:20 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    I'm going to need to watch his build video again. It's painful slow and I was skipping ahead. Also extremely vague on the details. I'd guess an r154. Shoot I think he is mostly stock head too.

Haha that motor is still in the back of the garage collecting dust. Crazy how busy life gets. I still got a bit left out of this motor. Keep saying I'm going to up the boost on this bad girl.

16. Apr 20, 2022 at 2:51 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I can relate with life. Per this forum, it doesn't feel like ten years has past. Day to day is different though.

As with @BassAckwards and his 2TR's recent adventures, and kind of what I remember from the 2/3RZ days, stay under ~15 psi. Or what equates to about 300 whp. Might be more or less, as I don't know the output to wheel power correlations with your turbo and his blower, but no need for uncle Rodney making unexpected appearances. His visits are always a bit hectic....

17. Apr 20, 2022 at 4:03 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    15lbs is what mine was pushing regularly. My old setup was a Rotrex c30-94, 70mm pulley, LCE equal length header, water/meth injection, 2.5” midpipe, and 3” catback. Probably somewhere around the 300rwhp like Mark mentioned. But you definitely want to keep it under that for a stock bottom end. I think the rods are the weak link on our four bangers

MadTaco461 likes this.
  18. Apr 20, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Kinda stock
    Yeah I prefer to slowly build the side motor instead of shoot I need a motor asap. Looks like the magic number is under 15 psi.

BassAckwards likes this.
  19. Apr 24, 2022 at 10:56 AM
    Slybeanx

Slybeanx Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Just bought the KORacing 2RZ 2.4L Turbo kit.

Any recommendations on anything I should do while installing it?

The truck doesn't have a stock exhaust anymore, so I am going to redo the whole thing anyways. I've read the trucks can handle small amounts of boost perfectly fine with the stock ECU/fuel system and HG. I ran compression numbers on my truck, and while a tad lower than id like the cylinders also are all within 2-3 of each other. Been reading old forum posts to inform myself but figured I'd ask directly as well. I've also asked Kris at KO what they would recommend.

The truck/engine has 280k so I will probably start looking for a possibly rebuild candidate as well.

It seems from reading that the EGR block off plate is a good while I'm in there mod.

For future upgrades, is there a PNP megasquirt option for these trucks?
    I've tuned my E30 on MS and loved learning, but cant find anything PNP for these trucks.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Brake Weight likes this.
  20. Apr 24, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I will leave the questions to the older gen members.

As for the EGR. If there is a way to block it off, and prevent a CEL from coming on. I'd recommend that as well.

Have you also perused through LCEPerformance.com?

Products Discussed in

To Top