1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo BS Thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Clay_916, Mar 20, 2017.

1. May 21, 2023 at 6:04 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    I would imagine you could just use a ratchet or wrench and swap it out... I hadn't even checked, what are they putting in the new one? I may buy one in 15 years or so when my 05 gets long in the tooth

Torspd likes this.
  2. May 21, 2023 at 6:23 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    GoJo likes this.
  3. May 21, 2023 at 7:11 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Factory boosted engines are so much easier to deal with. Let the tuner scene have at it for a year or two and then get a used one.

4. May 21, 2023 at 7:32 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Haha, yeah things have been putting me through the paces the past couple years so I haven't had the time but finally got it all together. I did a TON of stuff to it so I modified every system possible so there was a lot of trial and error to get everything set up how I wanted.

It's going to have (Dial-a-boost) with a dial on the dash that will adjust boost level thats tied into the new ECU so that will be pretty cool.
    I also built a complete fuel system using all PTFE hose and AN fittings being fed by dual Walbro 450s, fuel pressure wont be an issue, lol, and have a Flex fuel sensor that will adjust the fuel and timing tables based on the level of ethanol so that will add some extra pepper if I need it so that should be worth 100rwhp or so.

I drove it again today but not so far since I have to do some more programming on the ECU before I can start to lean on it, the Terminator X has a wizard that is pretty damn good, once you put in your setup into it the truck started up far easier than I was anticipating and it has an auto learn function that will get me close until I can go to my buddies Dyno and spend some time tweaking it for WOT runs.
    But even how the tune is now the truck is pretty exciting...

BassAckwards and Torspd[QUOTED] like this.
  5. May 21, 2023 at 8:05 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    GoJo[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 21, 2023 at 8:09 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The Terminator auto learn feature is very good. Such a handy tool! Sounds like you took the time to do all of the mods at once, rather than over the course of years like some of us. :anonymous:

Speed Freek[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. May 21, 2023 at 8:15 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Haha, yeah did enough research to get all of the Sloppy's additional harnesses with those added features so that makes it a lot easier. I also have his new camshaft so it should work out pretty well. There is a ton of support for the Terminator platform so it isn't terribly hard to get info, I really like the interface..

I want to buy a dyno, been kicking that around for a while but would have to find a way to make it soundproof, lol.

Torspd[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Yes! So far so good!

Had a few exhaust leaks prior to that video that I had to tighten up, and some vacuum issues around the MAF that during initial warm up it was hovering around 400 rpms until I tighten up some clamps and then it started to idle like pre turbo.

Pulled on it pretty good tonight, hitting just under 4 psi as expected, and was sitting around 12 - 12.5 afr. Still needing to wire in the enricher for closed loop boost and 10 degree colder thermo, but all in all I am pretty damn happy with it! The 3 inch exhaust and Black Widow exhaust are a big difference themselves too.

9. May 21, 2023 at 8:49 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I'm really curious how the black widow sounds under load, some fly bys are required :D

I picked up a flowfx and a vibrant resonator. I'm hoping it's pretty tame.

unstpible likes this.
  10. May 21, 2023 at 8:56 PM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Will do! It definitely sounds..haha.. hard to hear much else, but that and I was over stimulated trying to listen and watch gauges on the drive I took. But I do plan to get more and better videos of it outside the garage and while driving, I make sure to post

Torspd and unstpible like this.
  11. May 21, 2023 at 10:14 PM
    unstpible

unstpible Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 boosted V6 Auto 334k miles
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
    Damn these boosted 5VZs are looking great and sounding awesome!

:hattip::hattip::hattip::hattip:

Speedytech7 likes this.
  12. May 21, 2023 at 10:17 PM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah

You are up next, when we starting????

13. May 21, 2023 at 11:05 PM
    unstpible

unstpible Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 boosted V6 Auto 334k miles
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
    I'm both anxious and hesitant. Ive been banking on being able to have regular drivability at low boost without messing with the ECU side of things until I can collect the dough and knowledge to go full haltech.
    I also really want to get this turbo on because driving around with a leaky manifold is chugging gas so fast I don't dare travel more than 60 miles from home.

I did get the inside of the pipes clean up with a dremel so that's technically a little bit of progress/procrastination progresstination
    IMG_20230519_154334.jpg
    Also managed to scratch the Cerakote a little bit so I have an extra excuse to heat wrap them.

I attempted to replace the inner CV axle seals because it's been leaking since I got the Diff back in but realized I only had the dust seals for the spindle side of things. Luckily I noticed right before pulling the CV out. I did go ahead and put the new dust seal on the drivers spindle and installed new OEM bolts on the LBJ while I was there.

I put fresh lock tight on the wheel spacers and torqued them down and torqued the wheels on then looked behind me and noticed i forgot something
    IMG_20230519_134436.jpg

I've had a serious headache all weekend and at least 5 metal slivers from going out to the garage in bare feet after making a mess with the dremel

GoJo[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 22, 2023 at 7:30 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Your weld clean-up looks far better than it was. I wouldn't mind those splinters. Just means your turbo kit is a part of you now.

unstpible, GoJo and Jon64l like this.
  15. May 22, 2023 at 8:09 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah

There is always something. On my drive last night, CEL popped up for Sensor 2 short circut... forgot to plug the rear o2 in even though I mounted it up to the exhaust..:facepalm:

unstpible[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 22, 2023 at 8:11 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    So might still work yes?

17. May 22, 2023 at 8:20 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    this to me?

18. May 22, 2023 at 8:21 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    You'll be fine right out of the box at the pressure @GoJo is running at on stock computer. Haltech will take longer to dial in but will payoff in more power at the same boost level and safety when you get to running higher boost.

unstpible[QUOTED], Torspd and GoJo like this.
  19. May 22, 2023 at 9:09 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Yes

20. May 22, 2023 at 9:13 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Yea it still worked :) downstream o2 only monitors for the cat, which I do have in place. Plugged it in now and will clear the code and shouldn't come back

Products Discussed in

To Top