1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo Kit or Super charger kit For 2.7L???

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by SkyGuy19, May 7, 2013.

1. May 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    SkyGuy19

SkyGuy19 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sky
    Sioux Lookout Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco 4 Banger with a Stick 4x4
    Stock for now....
    hey i am looking for a turbo kit for my truck and i cant find anything that works for it i have a 2010 tacoma access cab standard tranny i live in canada and well off the beat path from a machine shop, so i am looking for a bolt on and go kinda kit thanks

2. May 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    There was a guy selling his 10 2.7 with urd sc a couple weeks ago in the market place pushing like 250 HP if its any help to u. There was a thread about turboing one but it looked like a lot of custom work and they decieded it would be cheaper and easier to get the 4.0 i think.

3. May 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    SkyGuy19

SkyGuy19 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sky
    Sioux Lookout Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now....
    yea thats what i have seen, alot of people chirping the 4 banger should have bought a V6 they say but o well i found a website off a previous thread no i just need to understand what motor i have in the truck they talk about a 22R-22RE-2RZ-3RZ i know my buddy had an 87 yoda and it had a 22RE in it witha turbo kit so i know it can happen but what woud my Engine Code or Number be then or how would i figure it out? O and high boost or low boost? does it matter?

4. May 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    SkyGuy19

SkyGuy19 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sky
    Sioux Lookout Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now....
  5. May 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    colby8100

colby8100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Lowered,leather interior,system,1jz swap,rims,painted bumpers mirrors ect
    Look turbos are very simple you don't need a kit if you know how to make what you got work. Don't pay the v6 comments any attention . What motor do you have and ill talk you through what you need. Also a hp goal

6. May 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    colby8100

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    3rz? Boost is just a measurement of intake pressure it has nothing to do with performance.

7. May 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    SkyGuy19

SkyGuy19 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sky
    Sioux Lookout Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now....
    I have a 2010 2.7L VVt-I whatever that means and it also say under the hood it's a 2TR-FE with a 5 Spd standard transmission and its all stock. Hp wise not really to sure I just want to have a nice little sleeper ah probably around 180hp- 200hp something to give it some jam when I go 4x4 in the mud or spin the rubber on the asphalt and not get shown up by my buddy's trucks so bad I realize I can't make a 4 banger a V8 power house but I can give them a run for their money

8. May 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    colby8100

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Its called artificial displacement (boost) there are plenty 6sec 1/4 4bangers powet to weight wins everyrime. I'd do a aem fic piggy back 350 $ a pt5558 cea turbo ( go ball bearing I know its an expensive set up but you really need quality turbo cheap ebay turbo journal bearings will start leaking cause you to use oil could starve engine for oil or even a fire and a mess) I'd go 600cc injectors a walbro 255 fuel pump.just control fuel with piggy back. All you have to do is make a flange from manifold to turbo then run exaught, oil lines, intercooler, piping , wide band o2 so you can tune yourself it'll take probably 2 weekends to do

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ZRTX likes this.
  9. May 10, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    SkyGuy19

SkyGuy19 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sky
    Sioux Lookout Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now....
    So how much do you think a set up like this would cost? probably close to 5g's eh? you seem pretty familiar with this set up so it must be a pretty good. I will start saving $$$ and when I get all the stuff I will let you know. I would also imagine if you don't put your foot to the floor you'd probably have close to the same fuel economy too? thanks a lot greatly appreciated

10. May 10, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    URD makes a Supercharger for the 2.7

Bolt on & go.

11. May 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    colby8100

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Probably around 3500 if you do it yourself you can get a universal 3 tubing and the rubers with clamps for like 150 $ then intercooler 150 $ piggy back 350 $ turbo 1500 $ make you a new manifold 150 $ ebay may have a turbo manifold for it? 3in exaught and injectors probably 500 $ a bov and wastegate under 200 $ fuel pump around 150 $ then your oil lines for turbo 50 $ wide band 200 $ it just depends on how far you go into it if you want serious power go larger turbo dual fuel pumps larger gas lines internals, stand alone ecu, diff trans, ect... that system there at 5 psi with 93 should be fine you can also add water meth and 10psi pretty safely close to 350hp or if you want to risk it go even more boost but internals are probably limited around 400hp if I had to guess .

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ZRTX likes this.
  12. May 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    colby8100

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    The only thing with s/c is you are limited to that set up without buying a whole new unit with a turbo if you want larger just swap the out (as long as rest of the mods can suport it mainly fuel supply) and the turbo you take off you could Put on anything you want(meaning easier to sell) and to control boost just adjust wastegate instead of buying pullys

13. May 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    I spent a lot of time looking at options on the 2.7 when I was working on rebuilding one I picked up. End goal was to do a swap in my 95.

So many factors to look at. The 2.7 is reliable and strong (internals) as is, but if you crank the boost much over 8 psi the added wear and tear will ruin your engine life in the long term. Turbos cost money if you're going to build an engine that can take the abuse for years on end.

Engine theory being what it is, consider the cost of headers and a full exhaust. An engine that can't exhale sure as hell won't inhale all that fuel and air you're trying to feed it. Whether turbo or SC, that dog needs to breathe if she's gonna hunt.

I'm not getting the impression you are a gear head and want to spend countless hours and $$$ babysitting your engine, but would rather just get on the gas every once in awhile and have fun. In that case, slap on a SC and enjoy the ride. 4-6 lbs of boost over 2000 rpm will be plenty to burn out or raise hell in the woods. Get a true locker for the rear diff if you don't already have one.

Just my two cents. Looking forward to seeing your build!

crazytacoman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top