1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turkey hunting and BS welcome!

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by wilcam47, Mar 23, 2017.

1. May 4, 2024 at 6:33 AM
    dklehman

dklehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Eastern wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD off road
    Nice those birds always look so beautiful.

wilcam47[OP], lynyrd3 and THatt like this.
  2. May 4, 2024 at 9:05 AM
    THatt

THatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7L MT 4X4
  3. May 4, 2024 at 5:56 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Turkey roaming around a friends house a few miles away from here . It is with a couple normal hens and a Tom .

imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg

4x4spiegel, THatt, Harry2015 and 2 others like this.
  4. May 5, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    THatt

THatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7L MT 4X4
    It's about over here so I am back to tinkering. My 20 gauge 1187 was purchased when Remington was really suffering QA issues some years back right before they went under. I even called them about the first barrel and they sent me a replacement with no questions asked. Unfortunately, both barrels were rough as a cob inside with bad tool marks. I polished them up as best I could, patterned to get average 150-160 in 10" with TSS and hunted it some. The last few years I've hunted it exclusively, light, maneuverable and a pleasure to carry. Still, the patterns were well below what other friends get with similar factory loads. So, I broke down and bought a bore gauge and a honing set. Found I had .001-.002" variation, high spots, in several spots in the barrel. Worked those with the hone and then followed up with a light polish job just this weekend. Shot a few shells today and am pleased with the improvement. This is about where I want to be, no need to go any further. Appears to have helped pull some pellets in for a denser core and 20". Could have bought another gun I guess, but Lord knows I need another shotgun.
    Before with TSS Browning #7&9s and Remington #7s:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After with same loads:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tacomaboned, wilcam47[OP] and lynyrd3 like this.
  5. May 5, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    dklehman

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Eastern wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD off road
    That pattern looks pretty good to me. What choke are you using?

lynyrd3 likes this.
  6. May 6, 2024 at 3:12 AM
    THatt

THatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7L MT 4X4
    That’s a trulock .565

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. May 6, 2024 at 5:34 AM
    dklehman

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Eastern wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD off road
    I run a .585 trulock on my retay 20 it is a inertia driven semi auto benelli knock off. It has the same issue most of the 20 Guage inertia driven guns have including benelli it does not consistently cycle 3 inch turkey loads. My gun will cycle every other 3 inch shell I put in it. I bought every 3 inch 20 Guage shell sportsman's and cabelas had last summer not a single hang up, first turkey load after 30ish different 3 inch rounds hung up. So after some research I find that this is a pretty well documented issue with the inertia guns. So I start reaching out on some of the forums and find that most of the guys running these guns hand load so they can trim there shells down and still shoot TSS. So after about 8 months trying to procure all the components I loaded my own this spring. The good news is the gun has cycles flawless with these loads and the patterns are amazing. The bad news is it was expensive getting an the stuff I didn't have to do the loading. The actual shells I can load for 3ish bucks a piece. The rest of the reloading stuff in into for around 250. The one thing I found that shocked me was how inconsistent the top of the line factory load weights were. So I got done with 10 shells and weighed them they were 59.08 to 60. 05 I was a little miffed how there was that much difference so I threw some of the apex loads on and they went from 61.14 to 63.33. The reality is I don't care that much as long as turkeys fall over when I pull the trigger. I should have just stuck with my old pump Acton 12 but as I get older I really don't like to carry that much gun across hells half acre.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. May 6, 2024 at 6:26 AM
    THatt

THatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7L MT 4X4
    I should be hand loading. I grew up with Remington so maybe that explains my efforts to improve the last one I bought. I have a .585 and may try it again. Previous patterning with it just threw more open patterns. The bore is now .616 as best I can tell, still a little unevenness but less than .001. May be able to level it further when I have more time. Am convinced it’s better now.

I had a jam with my 12 gauge Franchi a couple years ago, did not cycle federal tss loads. Friend found the same with his 20 gauge Franchi and federal tss load. We both had patterned only firing one shell at a time. The failure to cycle came at a bad time. Those federal shells for both gauges are a little longer with that roll crimp. All other loads cycled fine. I was under the impression it was a dimensional issue rather than the inertia action. My franchi 12 ga is my go to duck gun and will eat any magnum duck load fine, all regular crimp.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  9. May 7, 2024 at 1:38 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Tagged out today
    18 pounds
    9” beard
    1” spurs

IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg

bjohn041, THatt, Harry2015 and 2 others like this.
  10. May 7, 2024 at 1:42 PM
    dklehman

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Eastern wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD off road
    Great bird congratulations

lynyrd3 and wilcam47[OP] like this.
  11. May 7, 2024 at 7:01 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 [OP] Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Nice! Congrats!

lynyrd3[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 8, 2024 at 3:08 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:

13. May 8, 2024 at 3:08 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Darin :fistbump:

14. May 8, 2024 at 3:54 AM
    THatt

THatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7L MT 4X4
    Congrats!

lynyrd3 likes this.
  15. May 8, 2024 at 3:59 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:

16. May 8, 2024 at 6:33 AM
    ole

ole Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 Reg Cab
    530 am. 16 1/2 lbs. 6 1/2 inch beard
    4 came in to my decoy 3 walked away

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

19 yards

Harry2015, THatt, Wyle1 and 2 others like this.
  17. May 8, 2024 at 6:54 AM
    dklehman

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Eastern wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD off road
    Nice congratulations

18. May 8, 2024 at 7:25 AM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Congrats

wilcam47[OP] likes this.
  19. May 8, 2024 at 7:40 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 [OP] Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Nice congrats!

lynyrd3 likes this.
  20. May 9, 2024 at 2:32 PM
    THatt

THatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7L MT 4X4
    You know what's bad? No tags and hearing turkeys roost gobbling from the driveway and no dang gunner to take after them.

Products Discussed in

To Top