1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turn signal reminder

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MickUpi, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Apr 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    MickUpi

MickUpi [OP] Member

Member:
    I read a few posts about using a buzzer, beeper, or chime hooked up to your turn signals to allow the hearing impaired like myself to hear the turn signals. Use your choice of low amperage alerting device and hook two diodes to the + positive side like the following picture. The diodes act as little check valves to prevent the voltage from going to the other turn signal light.
    [​IMG]
    The part number for the diodes are NTE5809, however many others will work. Be sure the cathode band which may be white, silver, or red is on the end of the diode towards the beeper. The two other ends of the diodes connect to your turn signal bulbs. On my 2005 i connected to the red wire at the bulb and ran good quality stranded wire inside to the other ends of the diodes. The other side of the beeper goes to ground. Following is a close up of the diodes. After connections are made tape up everything and hide it under the dash.
    [​IMG]
    And now for a close up of my chosen beeper, which allows me to hear the turn signals. Radio Shack sells an assortment of beepers and a 12 volt chime. If the device it too loud place duck tape over all or part of the opening.
    [​IMG]
    No longer will I drive for miles with the turn signal on. This is about a 30 minute job. The connections could also be made under the dash in the vicinity of the flasher. I would not recommend that unless you are good at working in very tight places.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Waasheem likes this.
  2. Apr 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Exactly what I did. I could not see the turn signal indicators lights because I mounted my Scan Gauge hiding them, so I needed an audible reminder. Later had to install a shut off switch because the girlfriend said the beeping was driving her nuts.

3. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Awesome idea.

This is something I'm surprised Toyota doesn't address.

My motorcycle has auto-off (obviously, it can't turn off based on the bars turning)... it times out something like 8 or 10 seconds, then 218ft beyond that it shuts off... works out to about 1/4 mile at 55mph.
    90% of the time, that is perfectly adequate. You're not the idiot in the fast lane with his left signal on, it's ALWAYS enough to make a left turn at an intersection, and it's rare that you can't make a lane change on the freeway in that span (might need a little more for a 4-wheeled vehicle).

I had an '07 Explorer as a company car for a year.
    If I left the turn signals on for more than 1/2 mile, it would sound a warning chime and the odometer would display "TURN SIGNAL"

The Explorer was replaced with an '08 4-Runner. No such luck... it was just like the Taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top