1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tweaked my back a bit with my kayak.

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by aficianado, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Jun 21, 2022 at 7:48 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    being dumb. very difficult kayak launch. it's not a ramp,but a set of stairs into the water. i have a hobie and i flip it on its side to insert the scupper wheels. you CANNOT flip a kayak on it's side when it is still floating in the water. it will want to float away while on its side and when you are pushing in wheels. it was instantaneous. the stabbing pain. oh o! putting the kayak in the water was easy. getting it out of the water at the end of the day was the trouble. i was tired, probably dehydrated. as my floating kayak tried to drift away, i put my back into a weird twist and POW.

hahah..here is the kicker. i was with friends and should have asked for help.

now? i'm doing stretches constantly. i will do it in my work office all day today. i am way better. lessoned learned. lift smart. ask for help. stop, think.

2. Jun 21, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I love when I learn lessons AFTER I hurt myself. Sounds like we have that in common, you and I. Lots of rest, and if you're not getting relief after a couple of days seek help. Back injuries are not something to play with or let fester.

3. Jun 21, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    BkerChuck

BkerChuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Etters, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Blazing Blue Pearl
    I've always said that if I keep learning from my mistakes I'll soon be the smartest person I know.

Keep stretching and take ibuprofen or whatever works best for you.

4. Aug 23, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    seaturtle

seaturtle Member

Member:
    Getting old (I'm 80) and still think I'm a kid. Last month as I was getting out of my yak at the boat ramp, it flipped and this old man was sitting in about 6 inches of water. Nothing to grab onto to pull myself up except the kayak, that don't work!! Rolled over onto my knees, still couldn't get up.. ended up crawling backwards into deeper water and slowly achieving vertical. waded out while retrieving my submerged tackle and grabbing the bow lie a had attached to the bow.

It was then that I noticed the young couple, teenagers, in a jon-boat who had been waiting to use the ramp --- laughing so hard they couldn't stop.. I couldn't get angry---hell I was laughing too. They did help me recover my gear and loaded the yak into the truck for me.

Sprig likes this.
  5. Sep 20, 2022 at 5:57 AM
    FishaRnekEd

FishaRnekEd Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4.0 6spd 4x4 Dbl Cb short bed
    i pretty much had to quit kayaking because of my back... also, for the price of the new kayak i was saving for i bought a small boat/motor/trailer used and never looked back.

with the Taco and 4x4 pulling a 12ft flat boat and 15hp two stroke, i can launch in places that other boats/trucks cant. and the little boat with a light load will get me into kayak territory. i can take the gas motor off and just go trolling motor in places that don't allow gas motors.

a 27D battery and 40ftLb motor can run at full speed for about 30min consecutively. i used it the other day in 5in of water while bowfishing sheepshead for about 5 hours

jon_elc likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top