1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tweeter or Not ?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by danst6, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Apr 11, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    danst6

danst6 [OP] New Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    Plain Tacoma
    I'm getting ready to change out the sound system on a 2001 regular cab.I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination But the sound of this thing is pretty lame. Moneyis an object. A friend has a Pioneer DEH 5000 and seems pleased, and it sounds pretty good to me-about in the range I want to spend too. Was planning to replace door speakers(6X8) with a pair of Pioneer 3-ways.Possibly am going to build something for behind seat similar to gsm's post (thanks gsm) utilizing a pair of 5 1/4" Pioneers 2 way's that never made it into my wife's vehicle. But my real question is what to do with the factory tweeters. One of them is buzzing slightly, so just leaving them be is not really an option. Should I replace them (which would just about budget me out) or just disconnect them and rely on the other speakers? Any help and opinions from out there would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Apr 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    For now, just replace the the larger speakers with the 3-ways and disconnect the bad factory tweets and see if they work for you. If not, the go ahead and replace the tweeters. You might find that the upgraded speakers do just fine for your tastes.

3. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Danst6, you can't just disconnect the white plug (I'm assuming that's what you meant by disconnect them). You'll have to either cut a wire at the tweeter or splice around it at the connector (splice like-colored wires together e.g., red to red, black to black). The door speaker wire runs through the plug, loops, is tapped at the loop for the tweeter and then comes back out the plug and down to the door speaker. Here's a simple diagram.
    tweeter.gif

4. Apr 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i added tweeter covers to my truck just for looks..lol maybe if money is an object, look into that too

Products Discussed in

To Top