1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

U Joint replaced vs Rear Drive Assembly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wag, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Jan 17, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    wag

wag [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma DC TRD 4WD Magnetic Gray
    Looking for some affirmation that the dealership is full of crap.

I've got a 2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4, it's got a 2.5 inch lift with 33's, the modifications were done when it was new, it now has 95k on it, I've had all recommended service completed at the correct intervals.

Was driving home from a trip last week and noticed slight vibration at initial acceleration then at around 60mph. I googled it, sounded like a bad U joint which a week later made occasional noise that went away after greasing it, however the vibration still occurs but hasn't gotten worse.

Made an appointment at the dealership last Wednesday, after waiting 3 hours, the service writer at the time said my u joint was rusted and binding and needed to be replaced but that they didn't have the part in stock and had to order it.

I've got an extended warranty and we scheduled the work to be done today. I brought it in, he tells me a field inspector needs to look at it. Get a call later today, warranty work denied due to modifications and he says, if I want it fixed it's $1450. I asked him how it was that much and he said my rear drive line assembly needs to be replaced. That was never mentioned last week, he only said they didn't have the "part" in stock.

I've searched on here as well as just googling it and can't find much related to people needing a rear drive line assembly replaced, only 1 thread on here.

I've got a call in to a local shop to get a second opinion.

I'm sure a rear drive assembly can go bad but I'm getting the feeling this is BS...

2. Jan 17, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Rear driveline assembly as in rear diff? Thats a pretty big part. Ask them what part in the rear diff they think was at fault. Was there metal in the oil when they inspected the oil? Did they check the axles, one could be bent. The "driveline assembly" needs to be properly checked to isolate the cause.

3. Jan 17, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    wag

wag [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma DC TRD 4WD Magnetic Gray
    They are referring to the rear drive shaft and u joint.

4. Jan 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM
    Sae68

Sae68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JimS
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 FJ 4x4 PreRunner
    my driveline vibration was from bad u-joints about $20-$30 a piece with zerk fitting. I would say no to driveline replacement.

5. Jan 17, 2017 at 11:26 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    Replace u-joint. I've replaced many without problems.

6. Jan 18, 2017 at 12:19 AM
    REDdawn6

REDdawn6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redlands CA.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I would email and call corporate and tell them. You had it checked at a drive shift shop to confirm there diagnosis, and they said the dealer was lying.

7. Jan 18, 2017 at 12:27 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    They are full of shit (as usual). But this also illustrates why extended warranties are SHIT

8. Jan 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Get somone to install some new spicer Ujoints and a carrier bearing if needed, and be done with it. Dealershits replacing only the assembly is ridiculous.

robssol likes this.
  9. Jan 18, 2017 at 7:33 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Go to an independent shop since it's not covered by warranty.

landphil and robssol like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top