1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ubolts under torqued

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4WD, Jun 1, 2012.

?

Are your U bolts tight ??

Poll closed Jul 1, 2012.
  1. Tight as they should be

67.9%
  2. Loose as hell

32.1%
  1. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc

well i would say that obviously thats TOO loose...

2. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    kjmc

kjmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Alliston,Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD-SR5 4x4 DCAB
    Truxedo Lo-pro-Qt Sirius Radio
    Toyota should fix all Tocoma springs, are they waiting for an other Campaign ? (RECALL)
    How much money have owners spent fixing this issue ? Save your receipt is what Toyota
    told me ! Should add Broken to the Poll Lol.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I work in manufacturing. I'm no engineer, but I have fastened many a fastener in my time. I would say 37 ft/lbs would be a little under spec, as we tighten 1/2" bolts to roughly 55 ft/lbs. If you guys take into consideration, the total value of those four fasteners(of the u bolts holding down the leaves to the axle, to the plate) that is probably just about the right amount of clamping force to keep those things together, regardless of the conditions.

remember, TOTAL clamping force. if it was one pair of u bolts, or one fastener, then I would definitely question that spec. otherwise, I think it is just about right.

another thing to consider, is the yield strength of the fasteners, the nuts, and the u bolts. I'm sure the u bolts and nuts wouldnt be grade 8, as it is not holding down a lot of force(the leaves don't need a lot of clamping force, since the truck's weight is helping weigh down the leaves to the axle, and the centering pin for the leaves keep the leaves intact so no shifting fore or aft). even grade 5 hardware would be sufficient enough for this application.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    LAoffroadin

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc

given that this 37lbs is a typo still... this makes me wonder if toyota engineers have it that way for a reason such as the force being pushed down onto the bols from the compression of the leafpack/ shock. allthough i am not engineer but i am quite a savvy mechanic... wiser fellows.. what you think?

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yeah but you have to take into account that a 3500-4000 lb truck (give or take) with the dynamics of pushing/pulling force, G forces in corners, constant twisting/moving energy forced onto the axle/spring perch where they meet etc:

6. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    LAoffroadin

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4

yes true but i duunnoo i dont see a multi billion dollar business making a mistake like that and not catching or changing it with all the discussion about it. there has to be something behind this...

[​IMG]

7. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

But you wouldn't expect a major manufacturer to have the same TSB's year after production year either, but to each there own , theres still no fucking way I'd ever let a truck leave with that light of torque spec..

8. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    LAoffroadin

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    HMMM YOTA You isa be haven sum esplaninin ta du!!!! :notsure:

9. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I'm sure the dynamic movement is taken into consideration of the torque spec of the u bolts at the factory. I believe the g forces in corners, and twisting of the leaves would have a more shearing effect, rather than a pulling away effect of the fasteners.

regarding the comment of toyota sending out vehicles with mcsteaks to the field, I see that all the time where I work at, and that is the reason why there are service centers(i.e. dealers) to pick up the slack of the discrepancies with the vehicles leaving the factory. they've made the money once we've taken delivery of a new vehicle.

10. Jun 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    bttz, wrong. not related to rear vibes. when i did my AAL they got the GoodNTight torque spec. vibes like hell

11. Jun 2, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Good and tight is not always equal and tight. I'd get a torque wrench and check those if I was you.

12. Jun 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    This ^^

13. Jun 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This ^^^

14. Jun 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Doug,

Thanks for the heads up warning. I just checked my U-bolt torgue setting and they were under 40lbs. I tightened them in sequence to 73 lbs.

Back when the earth was forming and I was a strapping young lad, I worked at a semi-trailer axle assembly plant. We torqued the the U-bolts to 180 lbs. There was no power applied to these axles as they were simply under trailers. We were using 1 inch U-bolts.

No, they were not stone wheels and axles, those were still being made on the other side of the plant.

15. Jun 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Ya know rick I don't know if its a heads up or what, but I DO know that when I see nuts that are given the task of holding an axle assembly to the rest of the vehicle & they're not much more than hand tight, spec'd for it by manufacturer or not I get fucking nervous.. I just find it ridiculous that ANY automaker would deem fit a setting that low, now Chris4x4 said upon digging around that it was a typo in the manual & instead of 37 ft lbs. it was 73 ft lbs (which makes a hell of alot more sense) it seems they(Toyota) forgot to tell the guys on the assem. line I guess,, maybe the poll sound have asked "Do you think your Ubolts are tight enough?"..I dunno, I'll just keep them around 80 ft lbs like I have been just to cover my ass if nothing else.. I still have guys who's trucks I work on to come back in a week just so I can re check... so ....:notsure::notsure:

16. Jun 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    While I was under the truck, I should have checked the torque on the exhaust hangers. I expect they were torqued around 37 lbs as well. I agree, 37 lbs is not sufficient for holding a drive axle with multiple forces working on it. The wheel lug nuts get a higher torque setting.

I found this at TTora, dated 23 Nov 2009.

www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Torque_Specifications

according to it, leaf spring U-bolts should be torqued to 90lbs. The rear differential drain plug has a torque of 36 lbs.

17. Jun 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    good debate/discussion here that has brought some good info. cheers

18. Jun 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    they are ubolts, equal thread distance exposed on both sides. changing the torque 5lbs on 1 bolt isn't going to magically make drive shaft vibration disappear.

19. Jun 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    My driver's side was right; the passenger's side was dangerously loose. The rear bolt's nuts could almost be loosened without the ratchet. That one took about 4 1/2 revolutions per side to get to spec. Front u-bolt on the same side wasn't quite as bad, I'd estimate in the 35 ft-lb range.

That rear axle slapped around so bad when it was loose I thought once it was going to separate from the truck on one particularly mistimed shift.

Dangerous stuff, Toyota, dangerous... you can do better.

20. Jun 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Just becuase the threads may look the same, doesnt make the torque within 5#'s. I tried to see how accurate I was at turning nuts once, and out of 4 bolts, there was a 45# difference. Your elbow, no matter how calibrated you might think it is, cant tell the difference between 25#'s, and 50#'s

Products Discussed in

To Top