1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ubolts under torqued

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4WD, Jun 1, 2012.

?

Are your U bolts tight ??

Poll closed Jul 1, 2012.
  1. Tight as they should be

67.9%
  2. Loose as hell

32.1%
  1. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    canoeski

canoeski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    Debadged. ARE Topper. Tailgate mods, including locking handle. BAMF LCA skids.
    Thanks Landphil.
    That is exactly the post that prompted that part of my question.

>So, I'm interpreting that to mean you would need less "torque" with a lubricant to achieve the same amount of "fastener tension" . Right?

>OK, how much less?

Is it proportioal to the numbers that Nat posted as an example?:
    Torqued dry: 107 ft/lbs
    Torqued lubed: 76 ft/lbs

(are these maximum loads for Grade 8 14mm bolts??)

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    nat

nat Well-Known Member

Member:
    South San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC SB Tacoma
    Bestop, MP3 Aux Input
    Metric fasteners are not on the same class/grade system as SAE.

Grade 5 = Class 8.8 (metric)

Grade 8 = Class 10.9 (metric)

I posted the values for a Grade 5/Class 8.8 14mm fastener.

The grade 8 torque values are quite higher, without knowing for certain what the u-bolts were made with, I would stay with the lower torque.

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I have seen and repaired many loose u-bolts ( probably well into into the hundreds of cases) and resulting damage in my trade as a truck tech, but can honestly say I've never seen a broken u-bolt, other than in a major collision where anything and everything breaks. Not saying to overtorque, but I do torque to the top end of spec if there is a range given, and in the real world, it proves reliable.

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    I need to check mine. I loaned out my torque wrench.

Nice debate. Not do sure a u bolt can be rated like a regular bolt. I seem to remember the length being a factor. I'm a civil eng. when we bolt together bridges we spec put tension. We have to test each fastener in a skid more to determine the torque. The first five is cool. Then it gets boring in a hurry.

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  6. Jun 5, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    37 is definitely insufficient clamping force. I pretty much never dry thread anything critical. Depending on the application, everything either gets the appropriate loctite or anti-seize, or in some cases a locking nut.

Over torquing can actually cause a reduction in clamping force, and produce permanent damage to the nut/bolt. I would stick to 75ft/lbs.

7. Jun 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    kjmc

kjmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Alliston,Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD-SR5 4x4 DCAB
    Truxedo Lo-pro-Qt Sirius Radio
    I took my 07 TRD Sport in to have the repaired leafs retorqued after 2 weeks of running around. I asked the Tech what he was going to torque the bolts to, he told me he was going to 90 then retorque to 120, this is a business that does leaf springs for their bread and butter I told theTechnician that the trucks are coming of the line at 37 ft.lbs he just laughed and shook his head.
    :confused:

Note : had a extra leaf added each side

8. Jun 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
  9. Jun 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    Im glad im not the only one that was... WTF'ed about the odd torque specs mine are same as wheel studs 89

10. Jun 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    This is true for critical industrial applications, but then you'd be using thread lubricant to reduce rundown torque to a minimum. The torque specified in the service manual (when written correctly) are meant to be used "dry" and already account for rundown torque.

Breakaway torque occurs mostly during loosening only, due to the wedge profile of screw threads. That's why the loosening torque will typically be higher than what the bolt was tightened to.

For our "imprecise" purposes, it is quite valid to just check the torque by trying to tighten the bolt with a torque wrench set at the desired value.

This is true only if the parts remain elastic. U-bolts are apparently torqued to the yield point. That's why it isn't recommended to re-use U-bolts. It's also the reason for checking the torque later, as the U-bolt may have stretched plastically over time.

11. Jun 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    My u-bolts came loose after I had the TSB leafs installed a while ago. After this discovery I torqued them proper with a torque wrench and I always visually inspect them when getting fuel.

12. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You definition of "Breakaway Torque" is incorrect. It is applicable for loosening and tightening any bolt or nut.

In physics and mechanics, torque is rotational force, or the force necessary to cause an object to rotate around an axis. In most cases, more torque is needed to start the rotational motion than is needed to keep it going once it has begun. This initial force is called breakaway torque.

Torque is also measured on clean dry threads. How clean and dry are your threads after a few hundred or thousand miles?

13. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    He wasnt "defining" the term, but rather explaining that it plays more of a role on a nut/bolt that is already tightened, and you are trying to loosen.

14. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    What you are referring to is the difference between static- and dynamic friction. This is important for designing bearings and leadscrews. However, for a threaded fastener, the force required to run the nut down to the base of the bolt is trivial. Torquing a threaded fastener can be considered quasi-static - the torquing action doesn't start until the last 1/4 turn or so, after the nut has already contacted the clamping surface.

Keep in mind we are not building race engines here. For leaf spring U-bolts, torque values between 73-100 ft-lbs all work. It just needs enough to clamp the leafs to the axle, so the leaf centering pin doesn't take all the shear load (which would otherwise cause the leafs to crack at the pin hole). Hell, the new U-bolts that came with my All-Pro flip kit were larger diameter than the OEM U-bolts, so in theory they should be torqued higher, but I didn't bother.

When I removed my U-bolts after two winters, the portion of the threads in contact with the nut was like-new. Same observation with the wheel studs.

15. Jun 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    No. That isn't what he said.

" Breakaway torque occurs mostly during loosening only, due to the wedge profile of screw threads. That's why the loosening torque will typically be higher than what the bolt was tightened to. "

I was explaining that breakaway torque is equally applicable in both tightening and loosening fasteners.

I am not loosening anything unless I want to ensure the torque is correct. Loosen, Clean, torque to spec.

16. Jun 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Torque is the force required to cause something to rotate on an axis, period. Torque applies even if you are just running the nut onto the bolt by hand. The only difference is when you reach the final torque stage you stop when the amount of force required to rotate the nut is equal to the desired specification, be it in lbs or ft lbs. There is no such thing as " Static or Quasi-Static" Torque. Static = not moving there for it cannot be defined as torque. I don't know WTF Quasi-Static means. I don't think it is even a real term.

I understand that the threads inside are clean, but the threads immediately on either side are not clean and will usually effect the breakaway torque needed to either loosen or tighten.

I'm not trying to argue the facts. I only wanted to clear up the many misconceptions in this thread about how to ensure the U Bolts are properly torqued. I do agree that it should be well over the 37 ft lbs that was quoted earlier. However I'm sure some will keep doing it wrong, they always have. Myself if I am going to go through the trouble of checking I would just remove the nuts clean the threads and torque them at 30%, 70% and 100% of the rated value for the bolt. Then I Know for a Fact and I'm not just guessing.

17. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    canoeski

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    OK, today i finally got around to digging out my torque wrench and checking them on my 5 month old 2012.
    I set it to 40#, and I could turn all 8 nuts without much effort!:eek:
    Them set it to 50# and the same, then torqued to 70#.
    Called it good.

So, are the factory guys all doing it wrong? Or are each of them actually reading the technical service manual with same typo of 37# vs 73#?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. Jun 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    If I hit the ubolts with PB Blaster does that get them into the "Lubed" catagory?

19. Jun 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    canoeski

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    I did mine dry so as not to confound the issue.
    Then again, these were relatively new and have not yet had time to rust.

20. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Having been tipped off by this most informative thread (thanks OP, 4WD) I torqued my U-bolts to 70 lb/ft. I don't know how loose they were but they turned real easy and I had to turn them a lot before they clicked. I would not be surprised if they were less than 40. Did they come that way from the factory or did they loosen due to break-in/stretching? I got a feeling they did loosen over time. I have over 100k on this '07 2nd gen.

My question is should I torque it even higher? Should I go to 90? Who here that has a 2nd gen has torqued higher than 70 lb/ft? I don't want to take a chance on busting something.

Products Discussed in

To Top