1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UCON Flex Advanced Engine Management System

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by gray223, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Chickadee

Chickadee No, It's not my husband's truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR, Spruce Mica
    OME lift, Relentless Bumpers, Supercharged, UCON
    My guardian has kicked in a couple times (loss of power, pulsating) with a fully warmed up engine. Is there a way I can find out what went wrong to trigger it?

Both were under moderate acceleration. 1st one the AFR went really rich right before - 8.2 flashed on the gauge. Heavy traffic on the 2nd one, so I didn't see what the AFR was doing.

2. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Hows your fuel pump? I think you may have installed a 255 pump? That was my issue when gaurdian was engaging

3. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Stock fuel pump. That upgrade is next on my list, haven't decided which one to go with. Would my stock fuel pump cause it to go too rich? Doesn't make sense to me, but lots of mechanical things don't make sense to me.

4. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    Roostfactor

Roostfactor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Pyrite Mica
    HPT/justDSM tuned factory ecu, URD Headers, JFR Y-Pipe/l 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Maggy SC (JFR ported), JFR ported lower intake manifold, 76mm tb, 2.5 pulley, 640cc injectors, CSF Radiator, custom electric fan wit Autocoolguy controller, JFR SC pulley wrap mod
    Is your fpr plugged into stock location?

Gt7 what ended up being your fix for your issues?

5. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    My fuel line from the pump to the top of the assembly was torn, a shop had tighted the hose clamps to tight which destroyed the hose.

@Chickadee I dont know why you were so rich, but personally I would do a fuel pump as soon as you can.

Id go with a 320lph so you never have to upgrade it again.

6. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    Roostfactor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Pyrite Mica
    HPT/justDSM tuned factory ecu, URD Headers, JFR Y-Pipe/l 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Maggy SC (JFR ported), JFR ported lower intake manifold, 76mm tb, 2.5 pulley, 640cc injectors, CSF Radiator, custom electric fan wit Autocoolguy controller, JFR SC pulley wrap mod
    I agree with the 320. I got the 255 but wish I would have just gone with the 320 in case....race truck.

GT7 likes this.
  7. Dec 5, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    That sucks! Did you get a refund from the shop that did it?

Besides price, would their be any downsides to going with the 320lph vs. the 255? I'm not planning on any further engine related upgrades, but I've said that before....

8. Dec 5, 2017 at 8:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Not really. It will amply handle future mods. Most people have decided to get E85 rated pumps as well, for the added fuel pump life.

How low was your truck on fuel, when the Guardian feature kicked in? If it was below a quarter tank, it is quite likely to happen.

If it was fueling related, and was commanding X amount of fuel but receiving a threshold of less than 12%, then a guardian will kick in.

9. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info.
    Fuel tank was more than 1/2 left both times.

Is there a way to find out what triggered the Guardian?

10. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Datalogging is the only way.

11. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Chickadee

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricia
    Colo Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Can't the UCON do datalogging? I thought it could.

loginfailed likes this.
  12. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Of course. Part of the fine tuning process.

13. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    loginfailed

loginfailed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4WD
    From what I’ve been able to tell, you have to be datalogging while the problem is occurring in order to have the guardian reason recorded.

Chickadee[QUOTED] and jojotoo like this.
  14. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    jojotoo

jojotoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Have you had tuning session with Scott ?
    If not, utune probably isn't loaded.

Email gadget .. get a hold of Scott.

Chickadee[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    This is accurate.

16. Dec 6, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    To bad you can't plug a USB stick into the UCON and just have it auto data log.

That would be nice.

17. Dec 6, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    loginfailed

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4WD
    What would be really cool is if it had a feature like dash cams have. Always recording in a loop, overwriting after certain period of time, and when you have something you want to save you press a button and it saves the last minute or two to an SD card.

Chickadee, Roostfactor and jojotoo like this.
  18. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    Roostfactor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Pyrite Mica
    That would be badass!!! That way any issue you had while driving could be logged for evaluation.

jojotoo and loginfailed[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Dec 6, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    loginfailed

Member:
    First Name:
    Dwayne
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4WD
    Yea it’s hard to predict when you’ll have an issue. Would be a bit of a pain to drive around everywhere with your laptop plugged in and keep pressing the space bar every 20 seconds to make sure you don’t miss something.

20. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    One feature of my Haltech that I have a lot of faith in, is the Engine Protection. You can setup the severity level for each sensor it reads. Basically stronger levels of limp mode, depending on how far out of whack something is.

Then it stores the check engine code, while using the industry standard CEL codes. Look it up, and it will direct you straight to the source.

Not as handy as a continuum dataloop, but pretty damn close.

You guys should email Scott about that. See if that loop is in the works.

Products Discussed in

To Top