1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UCON Flex Advanced Engine Management System

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by gray223, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Apr 12, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Yessir, sure do, i thought it might be related to that, but i've had the filter get wet before and throw water across the maf, and this was completely different. This was just the guardian kicking in, and complete loss of power. When the MAF would get water across it, the truck would kind of sputter

2. Apr 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    TRD S/C, UCON, 61# inj, 2.5 pulley, 7th inj, Roostfactor Y Pipe, URD exhaust, WAT Nomad Valve body, Dana 60, DK LT, JD FAB LCA mounts, custom roof rack...and way too many others.
    Any chance the engine was still cold? I know there is a setting that won't allow certain RPM's until it's up to temperature. Just guessing at things....

BassAckwards likes this.
  3. Apr 12, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I was thinking about this too. I didnt notice the temp, but i drove it about 3-4 miles in the city to get to where i was washing it, couldnt have taken more than 10 minutes at the wash, but maybe it cooled down some? It was right after i pulled out of the wash, just wanted to go wot to get most of the water off

Id say this is a good possibility as to the cause. Drove the hell out of it on the way home and its running great

Really appreciate you chiming in on this:hattip:

4. Apr 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    I wonder if your rad got wet, creating a strong evaporative cooling situation that cooled your truck down and the ucon wasnt happy about it.

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 12, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    The rad definitely got soaked, i was washing off a lot of bugs off the front from hwy driving.

Sounds like this could have happened. Maybe coolant dropped in temp quite a bit and UCon said no way

Murphinator[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 12, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    TRD S/C, UCON, 61# inj, 2.5 pulley, 7th inj, Roostfactor Y Pipe, URD exhaust, WAT Nomad Valve body, Dana 60, DK LT, JD FAB LCA mounts, custom roof rack...and way too many others.
    No problemo. if my memory serves me correctly, the engine temp needs to be above 160 before that limiter is lifted. It's possible that it wasn't up to temp. However, I will say this: Ever since the install of the UCON, every once in a while, when I'm turning and specifically accelerating, the truck acts like my foot slipped off the throttle. No warning, its like your expecting a little throttle, then nothing. I don't ever see a CEL or any other warning. If I continue to press the throttle, the truck will finally respond. I went through so many changes when I installed the ucon, that I'm still trying to track down if I've gotten something else going on, but it is really, really weird behavior. Someday, when I actually have time I intend to data log it for diagnostics. Does guardian mode display a CEL?

mr.trd and BassAckwards[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Apr 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    To me it sounds like you could've soaked the air cleaner as well....with so many folks having issues with water and the URD true cold air intake, I would think this could be your issue......

8. Apr 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Interesting, yeah every once in a while the UCon just acts a little funny. Not sure if that's what caused it today, or if it was just not up to temp. Probably wasnt up to temp or air filter related if i had to guess.

Guardian mode will not display a constant CEL, from what i've seen, it flickers on, and then shuts right off... Pretty much blinks really quick, so it makes it easy to miss it.

Very good possibility this is the case. I am going to be driving it a good amount this weekend, so ill see if i have any more issues

9. Apr 30, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    My truck does the exact same thing with the loss of power. It always seems to be right at the beginning of 2nd gear. I have seen no light flash quickly or anything. I have noticed that if I drive the truck nice it does it more often. If I drive it like it is stolen it rarely does it. But it is starting to get really annoying.

10. Apr 30, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    Ok. I’m glad it’s not just me. I did sooooo much work (changes) at one time, including install of the ucon, injectors and 7th injector, new engine, new intake, headers, electric fans, radiator, retired the entire charging system and more. I knew tracking down gremlins would be difficult. However, this seems to be the ONLY real gremlin that’s popped up. Surprising actually. I haven’t spent any time with URD on this issue. I’m sure it’s something they could resolve if we data logged it. I have an HPtuner sitting on my desk along with different 650cc injectors. I’m thinking about just making the switch...

11. May 1, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    I need to datalog I guess. I won't be making the change anytime soon. I have so many other things in front of redoing something I just did. Although some of those things are redoing what I have done, but it was longer ago so they are easier to swallow. LOL Are you having any hiccups with the larger injectors and the Ucon? I have read that the Ucon doesn't like larger injectors for some reason. But the HPTuners is very tempting as I believe that is what about everyone around here tunes with.

12. Jul 22, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Does anyone know if the Ucon manipulates the gas pedal signal like the pedal commander? Or can we run the pedal commander and the Ucon? There have been lots of talk around here about how much the pedal is increasing peoples gas mileage.

13. Jul 22, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    I don't think the UCON manipulates the pedal signal. It probably can (much like the HPtuners), but they elect not to. I do believe that a pedal commander will work with a ucon as the signal is "upstream" of the ecu. I'm not sure if you'll see better mpg's unless you keep your foot out of it.

mr.trd[QUOTED] and BassAckwards like this.
  14. Jul 22, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    @Athlaos is running a sprint booster or pedal commander (cant remember which one) and he said it made a difference, which would lead me to believe UCon does not manipulate the throttle signals.

Once i finally get some time to disconnect my ecu from my UCon, i plan on reflashing mine with HPTuners for the throttle mapping benefits.

mr.trd[QUOTED] and DocME like this.
  15. Jul 22, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Manual TRD SC 1.87" pulley
    A flux retro-capacitance encabulator
    I think UCon does manipulate throttle map, however it doesn’t manipulate it enough to overcome the effect of the pedal commander. It does work quite well. @mr.trd

mr.trd and BassAckwards[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jul 23, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Awesome, thank you guys! Now I just need to decide if I think it would help my mpg at all. I know it is for others with a bone stock 4Runner, but haven't looked into it much for the older 2nd gen taco.

Athlaos likes this.
  17. Jul 23, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Have you had time or planned on any datalogging on the 2nd gear bog down at all.

18. Jul 23, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Manual TRD SC 1.87" pulley
    A flux retro-capacitance encabulator
    2nd gear bog down?? @BassAckwards

BassAckwards likes this.
  19. Jul 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I think both @mr.trd and @DocME have auto transmissions, so the 2nd gear bog down they're referring to might be different than what us 6spd owners are accustomed to.. Curious what they mean though! when i was having issues with my first UCon, it would act up (lean out on one bank) primarily in what some would consider "bogging" situations. So if i was cruising along in 3rd gear at 35mph, and i floored it, it would act up more often with that. What kinda problems are you guys having with 2nd?

20. Jul 23, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Yeah we have auto's. When I drive like I normally do, like I am in Mexico, everything is good. But if I try to drive like nice old lady when it shifts into second gear it kinda stalls or bogs down until about 2500 rpm or so and then it goes back to normal. It normally is never felt but I am trying to get better mpg's around town so I have more fuel for the weekend and camping/towing. I don't want to fill up once for the work week and then a couple of times on the weekend depending on how far away we camp. And I will say that it does it about every time when I am towing because I am driving normally and not trying to blow up the rear end off of every light. Boost for towing is better in the higher gears, down low I just baby it and let the gears do there job and keep the heat out of the transmission. So it is only low rpm, light throttle at the beginning of second gear.

Products Discussed in

To Top