1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Udy's '06 TRD Sport Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by udy2554, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    udy2554

udy2554 [OP] NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Quick overview...rotated my tires this morning. I wanted to replace the plastic covered lugnuts with SS, but once again, wrong nuts:mad:. Still gotta fight the old ones. Now I'm using a 7/8 socket on the impact gun for removal and torque wrench for installing them...maybe next try?:notsure:

Loving the ARB for jacking the front up with the Hi-Lift.

Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I finallly got to repair/replace/relocate my 7-pin plug for towing. Tore it off last winter, got the plug (receptacle) last spring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't forget the Hoyt Archery plate surround!:thumbsup: Had that since last summer!:facepalm:

[​IMG]

Oh, and if anyone cares, here is my "shop" and air system! I think you all know my "bay" is the gravel driveway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, I got some new shackles too!:woot:

[​IMG]

That's all for now, next is the amp and sub. Maybe on the next "warm" day...(over 35*?:notsure:)

SEE YA! and thanks for looking!:bowdown:

[​IMG]

2. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    705 Taco

705 Taco Zombie Killer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Barrie ON / St. Petersburg FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    --Stock 2016. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 had 6 inch ProComp lift, Eibach coils on 5100 Bilsteins at zero, 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on drivers side, rear TSB, 1.5 inch Deaver AAL, ProComp blocks and rear shocks, 8000 lb Warn winch on a Trans4mer grill guard, 33 inch BFG AT's, 18x9 XD Monsters, PIAA headlights, PIAA driving lights, Pyro's blue LED gauges, LED strip below tailgate, Armor Lid hard tonno, Hidden Hitch, Dee Zee bed mat, Tint, XM, Garmin GPS, Ultra Gauge
    Truck still looks awesome sir!

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Sorry all, no pics for this one:(, forgot my camera.

Anyhow, spent the afternoon in my buddy's heated shop installing my amp. It's under the driver's seat with the wiring bundled up under the sill plate to the kick panel, then up and over the hood latch and e-brake handle. Power is fused at the battery and amp is grounded at a seat mount. No whistling or whine and all sounds great.:D

I still need to mount the crossovers for the front components and install the new tweeters in the front doors. After that I will install the Sound Ordinance 8" powered sub. I think that wiring will go along the pass. door sill to the back. I still am trying to figure a mounting spot for the sub that won't take away use of the rear for passengers. I may raise the front pass. seat an inch or so to clear it. I don't know.:notsure:

I also have a small bodied CB to mount. I'd like to add a PA and external speaker in the cab. A project for another day.:D

Thanks again for looking. I'll try to get some pics of the amps location in the next day or so.:thumbsup:

Oh, I also replaced the cheapie off-road lights with some 8" KC long rangers! Got them aimed tonight too! Huge difference in light output!:yay: Pics of them later too!

4. Mar 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    1. Head unit installed 31st of Oct. 2011.

Pioneer double-din with I-pod, HD radio, Bluetooth and 3 preamp outputs.

[​IMG]

2. Boston Acoustic components also installed last Oct.

Rear tweeters were installed at the back of the rear windows, front tweeters are ziptied to the original tweeter mounts. Woofers are adapted in the stock locations. Crossovers are in the door pockets. In the future I will probably add/install some plugs in the wiring to simplify removing door panels. Right now I would have to unwire the crossovers...hope I don't have to do that anytime soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Installed a 4-channel Sony amp on Sun.

The amp fits under the driver's seat. It was kinda tight, but I got it in and the seat and wiring moves all the way back and forth without binding. All the wiring for the amp fit under the sill plate, again, kinda tight but it works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver's side rear is kind of a storage area so there will be no feet on the amp., just gun stocks, camo, and all the other shit I throw behind the seat.

[​IMG]

4. Installed the Sound Ordinance 8" powered sub today after work.

All the wiring went along the rear wall, down the pass. side sill plate, kick panel, and then behind the glove box to the stereo and out the firewall. (Found a handy little rubber plug to drill out for the wire to the battery.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still don't know what to do with the sub itself. Right now it's trapped behind the driver's rear seat, not fastened. I may mount it to the back, between both seats, but I don't know yet. Sounds fine where it is and it will be easy to remove if need be.

[​IMG]

I am hoping I never have to find a wiring problem here, or take the dash apart again for that matter. What a fucking squirrels nest. My wiring leaves a lot to be desired. Same thing under the hood. This summer I hope to add a Blue Sea fuse block to neaten everything up.

[​IMG]

Everything is wire nutted for easy removal in case I need to reinstall the stock stuff. (probably a little laziness too.)

Gain control and Ipod adapter are both in the glove box.

[​IMG]

Here are a few underhood looks. Lighting wiring and stereo wiring will be cleaned up come summer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man, what a mess. Salt spray, dirt, corrosion, I gotta get under there and clean up.

Well, not the most professional install, but it sounds great at all levels. I now need to talk to someone to help me fine-tune everything.

Comments are welcome, so is criticism! I need to know how to improve things, not just neatness.

Thanks again for looking!

5. Mar 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal

what is this??????

6. Mar 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
    you just made my mind up on the front bumper awsome truck this and relentless's are my favorites :cool: hope i can pull it off w/my rig :notsure:

7. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Dude, you have a GREAT looking truck!:thumbsup:

As far as the defrost thing goes, the AC runs when in the defrost mode to remove (dehumidify) moisture from inside the cab. In most cases, just heat will do that fine, but in some cases, wet clothing, hair etc., AC may be needed. Deleting the green wire from the mentioned plug stops the AC from coming on anytime the defrost is used. If AC is needed, you can just turn it on with the button on the dash.

There are directions in the Cheap/free mods thread stickied in the forums!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/7160-c-defrost.html

8. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just a quick update. Snorkel and airbox window install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will lead to a small improvement in mileage!

9. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Love checking this build out all the time. Great work!

10. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport

Thanks! I still would like to get sliders and skids so I can wheel it with no worries!

11. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Nice! For my truck I would settle for a new front end thats NOT shaped like the rear of a 2002 civic.....

12. Mar 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    When does that get fixed? Maybe a new plate bumper for the next time?:D

13. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    PA.TacomaTRD.

PA.TacomaTRD. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tamaqua, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Westin bull bar and 4" oval tube steps, Zone Offroad Products 2.5" Leveling lift, Zone Rear Block lift,
    Nice build!!! Love the truck, good job!!!

14. Mar 31, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks man, I appreciate the kudos!

15. Apr 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks Josh, I couldn't have done this without the help from everyone that has done it here! XXXX is a no-shit kinda guy and his install was very helpful when it came down to doing the cutting...but yes, cutting the fender and drilling all the holes that needed to match up definitely raised the "pucker-factor"! All the guys here are a great confidence builder.

The only hint I can give that I didn't read far enough into the thread is don't be afraid to trim the snorkel itself to make the "adapter" match the inside hole in the fender. A couple of the later installs in the thread show that.

16. Apr 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    Great looking truck John. I have an almost identical 05(non TRD) but there is no way I am getting approval for all the upgrades you have done. Your truck looks outstanding.

17. Apr 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey man, thanks for the kudos! Where in Rochester? I'll be in Fairport at my mom's Sun. evening for dinner. Right by Fellows Rd. Park.

BTW, I didn't get permission, just alot of explaining after the fact!:eek:

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM
    CNC Fixer

CNC Fixer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vine Valley, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 Bone stock
    Just put on a cap for gear storage (does this count as a mod?)
    This is a shout out to say hi neighbor. I'm down the road in Vine Valley.
    Saw your posts in some various topics here, your location caught my eye. Checked out the build pics and thought "there's someone who can answer a few questions when it comes time to do my own."
    Saw you in Rushville this past week parked near the intersection. Nice lookin' rig.
    Keep up the good work, keep the pics coming. I'll keep my eyes open for you (hard to miss in our neck of the woods).

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    I live in the city Maplewood park area, grew up down in Friendship not to far from Naples. I play hockey in Fairport so I will be there tonight. Nice to see there are some local forum members too.

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport

Hey Chris, good to hear from you! Are you North or South Vine Valley. I'm out that way all the time! I do HVAC in the area through Comstock HVAC. I originally sold my business to Document Reprocessors. That's a whole other story though.

I don't know if you noticed, but the other day at the 245 intersection, I was talking to a guy that has a similar truck to mine. It was a double cab with the ARB and a cap. I just stopped to introduce myself to him.

Give a call anytime and come on out this way, I live in Italy Valley on Olney Rd. I'll PM you my cell no.

Talk to you when you get a chance!

Products Discussed in

To Top