1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uh-Oh.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gregp, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    gregp

gregp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    I bought my 2011 Tacoma 4x4 about 3 weeks ago from Lia Toyota in Wilbraham, MA. This past weekend, as I was getting gas, I noticed that a mudflap rivit was hanging out loose from the drivers side rear wheel flap. I attempted to snap it back in, but when I got home, I saw that it was hanging out again. I yanked it out, and sure enough, it was broken. I checked the other side and saw that one was missing from that side as well. "No big deal", I thought, as the dealership should certainly give me a couple of these plastic rivits without issue. Today, a coworker stopped in to tell me that my passenger side front wheel center cap is missing. What??!! Sure enough, the center cap is gone. My truck does not even have 500 miles on it yet! I called the dealership and was unable to get my salesperson, so I will call back later.
    Do you think that the dealership should/will replace these pieces for me? I feel like they most likely were not installed/snapped on tightly to begin with....

2. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I would imagine they would.

3. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Doesn't hurt to try.
    Maybe someone wanted them. Lol
    I would just take the flaps off. Looks better anyway.

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica DC TRD Off Road
    I had the same issue with my mudflaps and this was after 20K miles. My dealer replaced all the rivets for no charge. Bumper to Bumper means just that in my opinion and you should be covered.

5. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    The "I'm calling corporate" card is always there for you if needed ;)

6. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    I had the same issue on my '08. Woulda taken my flaps off but there are too many gravel roads round here n I didn't wanna junk my paint. I had a centercap come off before I got home and the salesman replaced it for free. I can tell you they cost $56 each for the ones for the steel wheels

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue TRD Off Road
    Sorry to hear that man. Normally I would say yes, but I bought my first Tacoma from those guys (Lia in Wilbraham), and after negotiating everything that should have been included (it was used, but missing floor mats and the compartment covers for the back as well as tie downs for the track system), they started getting really uppity about giving me what they promised. After talking with the sales manager, they finally relented. I have had bad experiences with both Lia in Mass and in NY; I will NEVer buy from them again.

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    i had a center cap loose from new and it was about to fly off...i couldn't get it to sit tight and they replaced it. so i'm sure that happens...

the "rivet" issue...those apparently are pretty cheap but if you want to go through the process, you probably can with warranty. i'd ask for them and you put them in instead of having to schedule an appointment, wait for the truck to go in and get the installation done, etc.

9. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I couldn't get strait answer out of Lia salesman in NY before I bought (bought at other dealer) . If yours is from same mold you might be best talking to service or dealer manager.

10. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Tell them you want replacement parts now...

Then sell them on ebay. Unbroken front mud flaps are hard to find. Chuck your others, they cake up in snow, mud, whatever you find yourself in, and while I thought I liked mine on at first, looking back, I don't know what I was thinking.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Feb 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    Well, I spoke with my salesman, and while he was sympathetic, he told that they are "usually not covered, because they can fly off with just hitting a pot hole". I told him that I just bought the truck from him two weeks ago or so, and that I do not even have 500 miles on it yet, and I most definately did not hit a single pot hole with it yet (I haven't! I have been driving it very carefully!). He told me that he would speak with his manager and go to bat for me, since I did just buy the truck from them. I will let you guys know what he says when he calls me back....

12. Feb 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    Good luck!

13. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    Recently did my 5k tire rotation, one of the wheel caps was not on good, looking at it one of the metal clips that holds it on was bent, most likely it was factory installed that way. I straightened it out and the cap fit better, I don't have a lot of confidence in how they are attached but none have come off yet, even the screwed up one. Anyway, if yours came off for that reason it should be warranty covered. But if you don't have the cap to tell, this won't help much, it is just that I have evidence that these things may not always be initially installed correctly.

14. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    Thanks, blackbox. I just hit 500 miles with my truck today, and I have been extra careful with it. I still have not heard from the salesman, but my wife is *upset*. If they do not replace this cap, I will be complaining to Toyota Customer Care.
    Overall, I am disappointed that these parts are literally FALLING OFF OF MY TRUCK within two weeks of ownership. I bought a Toyota because of their reputation for quality. I also believe that their Bumper To Bumper warranty should cover parts that just FALL OFF. I am having a very hard time with this.... I mean, granted we received some snow this year, but these parts should not be affected this way.

15. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    I just called, and my salesman has the day off, so I left a stern, but cordial message that I am disappointed that parts seem to be falling off of my truck within the first 2 weeks of ownership. I hope to hear from him in the next day or so, and I will let you all know how it turns out.

16. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    What is wrong with that dealership??? First off, it is a 30,000 dollar machine and they damn well better warantee it...

My 2005 mud flaps came off more than once... and even with the truck being 2 years old after one came off and I don't know where, they replaced it, free. My 2010, I just removed them... with the off roading I do, they come off anyway (they are a terrible design/ material for mud flaps... My '01 flaps were good (rubber) and never came off.

17. Feb 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    They are not the warrantee or the warranter. The dealer is just a garage. Toyota is the warranter.

And yes, the frst gen mudflaps were better. I'm having trouble finding anything like them.

18. Feb 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    I had a bad experience with them years ago and will never go there again. Get what you can out of them and then switch to another dealer for service when necessary. So far Balise has been really good for service.

19. Feb 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    My salesman called back today, and appologized for not getting back to me right away. He ended up speaking with my wife, as I was at work. He said that they ordered the center cap, and that it should be in on Monday, and that when I come in, they would install it for me. I am assuming that I do not have to pay for it. He also said that at that time, the service manager would look at the missing plastic rivits and replace those as well.
    I am happy, for now, although I am a bit surprised that they do not have a center cap in stock, if they fall of as frequently as he told me they do. Lets hope they do not have to order the mudflap rivits.....
    Only if nothing else falls off of my truck in the next several years, will I truely be happy (I guess I had better get a clamp on that tailgate - Quick!).

20. Feb 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    They should pull one off a truck on the lot and put the ordered on your truck. That's bullshit. I can't believe you would even have to make more than one call to get it taken care of.

Products Discussed in

To Top