1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultra-Gauge MPG's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 90YotaPU, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU [OP] The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Just curious if anyone else has noticed that using the Ultra-Gauge they really got their MPG's up? I calibrated about a week ago to the new tire size using the recommended procedure of going on a major highway with mile markers, driving a certain distance and then telling the gauge how far you went. To make sure it was as accurate as possible, I drove seven miles (figuring that if I did it for only one mile it's possible the mile markers could be a little off). Now, just by watching my driving habits, I'm averaging 23.5 mpgs! Anyone else seeing this? Hoping that's accurate cause that means I should be around 25 mpgs in the summer. Never woulda expected that with a 4x4, even a 4 cyl.

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    u will hit that with a 4cly. I have not noticed any change in my MPG. i have always tracked it on excel. calibrated the UG which reads about 0.5mpg more than my spreadsheet does. I tend to believe my sheet over UG, as it has not changed since installing the UG. it is nice to see how well my CAI works.

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    Make sure you do the Ultra Guage Fuel Calibration after calibrating your tires.

4. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU [OP] The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Whoops.....forgot to do the fuel calibration.

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    my UG should be here today, i hope it "helps me" with my mpg cause i'm gettin about 15mpg right now:rolleyes:

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I looked through the manual, i found out how to calibrate distance but I can't find out how to calibrate my tire size.

7. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    My UG and manual calculations based off the truck trip computer have never lined up (UG reads high). Then again my UG pegs my speed at about 1-3 mph below what the speedo says depending on my speed (less difference at higher speeds). That's on stock size aftermarket tires too.

That's the nature of MPG readings ... a whole lot is dependent on the calibration of your instruments. Perhaps the only way of calculating an accurate MPG would be to use a GPS to track miles.

8. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah that's true. Paying attention to the realtime MPG gets me to lighten the foot. The overall MPG of the UG has always been a secondary thing to me. What matters to me is the tank-by-tank calculation, and how much it goes up or down relative to previous tanks. That's why I will always calculate manually.

9. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    But after you go through it once your done,

10. Jan 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    What I did is zero out all my trip meters and then drove about 20 miles according to my GPS then put that number into the calibration field of the UG.

For giggles I multiplied the trip meter distance by the relative circumference percentage of the original 31s (265/75/16s) to my present 33s (285/70/17s) which was roughly 1.4. That number was actually a little less than what my GPS actually showed. Either way, my Avg MPG is a pathetic ~14.4.

RZ Rob

11. Jan 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    When I calibrated the distance, I used both a 5 mile trip and my GPS.
    they were both with in 5 ft of each other. So I believe both ways would accurate.

Products Discussed in

To Top