1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UltraGauge

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by timkins42, Mar 10, 2011.

1. timkins42

timkins42 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fishers, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    Is the Ultra Gauge worth the money and hype?

2. DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    I think they're great!!!! Just make sure you calibrate it correctly and download the manual off the website.

3. Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bedford, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    HID Retrofit, Smoked Tails, Tint, Running Boards, Satoshi, XD Cranks, 285/70 Duratracks, In-Dash Navigation, aFe Pro Dry CAI, 2525XL, 5100's+ coils, Socked and Millerd!
    Just got mine the other day, does alot of interesting stuff. I still need to calibrate mine before I can say just how awesome it is.

4. riderrace

riderrace Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    NOCO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD SR5 V6 4x4
    ARB bumper, ARE topper. All the mods go on the jetski trailer I pull all summer.
    I'm interested as well... Any other opinions?

5. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    Yes. WELL worth the money.

6. riderrace

riderrace Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    NOCO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD SR5 V6 4x4
    ARB bumper, ARE topper. All the mods go on the jetski trailer I pull all summer.
    They look super BA, it just seems a little sketchy being so much cheaper than a scangaugeII. I supposed I just dismissed the idea of getting one, once I saw the SG's price.

Definitely going to have to get one. :cool:

7. Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Well worth the money! I finally got mine calibrated and it's dead on. I use it more for mileage because I needed some help changing my driving habits but it can display a whole range of information.

8. riderrace

riderrace Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    NOCO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD SR5 V6 4x4
    ^^^ That's mainly what I'm interested in. I feel like my MPG's suffer a bit too much, but I also should do a complete tune-up here soon.

I'd like a number for my battery voltage as well, and would like tranny temp, etc. but as long as she's a-goin good I guess it isn't a problem.

9. chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    None of the real time gauges support a tranny temp function. IIRC, the temp sender on teh Tacoma is a "Good/Bad" sensor, and doesnt give real time temp info.

10. Anthony250

Anthony250 E-Fabber

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Gabriel Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma LT Prerunner
    Eagle Alloy's 058 on Goodyear BFG All Terrians . 265/75/16. Kenwood Stereo, 12" JL Audio Sub. Led Lighting interior. Led Turn Signals. Custom Bumper ,Total Chaos Long travel Sway away shocks, glassworks fenders, ,Spintech Super Pro street muffler, Hellas 500ff HID Converted, Window Tint,Black Emblems, Deckplate, , Deaver Prerunner Pack, Bilstein 7100's 12" SB's and Sway Away 2" Air Bumps
    Well worth it just got mine like 3 days ago. Except they are sold out now. Buhahah

11. riderrace

riderrace Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    NOCO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD SR5 V6 4x4
    I didn't convey my knowledge of this quite well enough, but that was the point on the if it's running why worry about it comment.

I've got a decent amount of shop experience, and have access to some pretty expensive computer scanners. I assume anything the nice OBDII readers can pick up, so can this one.

I suppose if I really wanted a tranny temp sensor, I could install one myself and do a fancy gauge on the column... But that's just not for poor college kids. :annoyed:

12. Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bedford, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    HID Retrofit, Smoked Tails, Tint, Running Boards, Satoshi, XD Cranks, 285/70 Duratracks, In-Dash Navigation, aFe Pro Dry CAI, 2525XL, 5100's+ coils, Socked and Millerd!
    Not sure if its just mine or what, but my Ultragauge states it cannot find my fuel sensor. Anyone else run into this? It still calculates my Fuel levels pretty good off miles, but I cant use any of the added fuel options aside from adding gallons after a fill up.

13. KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    It's worth the money to me just to be able to read codes. The rest of the features are a bonus :D

14. DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    Our trucks don't have a fuel sensor. Just a fuel gauge that doesn't run off the ECU. That's why the UltraGauge needs to know your engine size and tank size.

15. Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bedford, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Makes sense why it coudnt find it then!

16. rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    the website says it can read outside temperature... is this applicable on a 1st gen? I don't see how it could be...

17. riderrace

riderrace Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    NOCO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD SR5 V6 4x4
    It also states that the actual gauges present are vehicle dependent. Must be for a car that runs ambient temp through the ECU, but I'm not aware of that being present on a 1st gen...

Also their "Vehicle Gauge Availability Estimator" doesn't show an ambient (outside) temp gauge available.

18. timkins42

timkins42 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fishers, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    Got my Ultra Gauge yesterday in the mail. I'll let you know how it works out after I take my annual trip to St Louis which is about 900 miles one way.

19. Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I use the air intake temp gauge for that. I have the deckplate mod and it is usually pretty close as long as I'm driving or the truck hasn't been sitting still very long.

20. polar

polar Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Polar
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    SR5, EV, TO
    Damn, the truck doesn't have a fuel sensor and the electronic gauge isn't tied in? I wish I read this before I bought the damn thing. I kinda thought that was the most useful feature. Okay, I really wanted to know what the intake air temperature is. :)

I hardly fill up my tank because I usually use cash, $20 here, $40 there, (more like $50/$60 these days), so using the fill-up short cut doesn't do me much good. So much for being "automatic". Damn.

To Top