1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Under-shell support for cargo rack...

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by DWStovall, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM
    DWStovall

DWStovall [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl-Cab Short Bed
    Greetings all,

I have a 2009 D-cab short bed with an A.R.E shell. I have plans to mount two roof-top tents on a custom 10' long cargo rack that extends over the shell and the cab. See the attached drawing.

The drawing shows the rack I hope to build, but now I am thinking about putting the support frame under the shell instead of having and external frame - I think it will look cleaner.

I am hoping to make the support structure modular under the shell so that I can remove it when not needed. The support frame will mount to the bed and extend snugly to points at four corners of the ceiling of the shell. The rack will then mount to the top of the shell at the four mount points.

Does anyone have experience with an internal support system such as this? Any ideas? I want it to look cleaner than it does in the attached drawing.

David

TruckIdea.jpg

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  3. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    DWStovall

DWStovall [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl-Cab Short Bed
    Thanks, OZ

Products Discussed in

To Top