1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercoating Question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by SuperTUSMC, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    SuperTUSMC

SuperTUSMC [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '13 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport 4X4
    Debadged, stickers remain.
    OK, I'm in Michigan (snow, sleet, salt and so forth) and just bought my new truck last week. I sprang for the undercoating/rustproofing/stain resistance/etc. package and took it in to have the work done today.

I got the truck back this afternoon and noticed when I got it home that all of my suspension parts have been undercoated as well. I was not expecting this. I know that the blue Bilsteins aren't necessarily top of the line, but they looked good and made the truck look distinctive. Those are now black, as are the springs, arms, etc.

Questions:
    1. Is spraying these parts typical, or does the shop that did it just not know what they are doing? (this was a dealer-approved/recommended shop)
    2. Should these parts have been masked?
    3. What affect if any might this have on the integrity of the shocks/springs themselves?

Any input greatly appreciated! If I had a really nice set of billet UCAs and/or zinc plated shocks I think I'd be looking for a neck to break about now... somebody talk me down :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top