1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercover Elite locking system

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by rrt49, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017 at 7:10 AM
    rrt49

rrt49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I just picked up my Undercover Elite bed cover. Very nice product and installation was easy and fast however, when I got to the "programing" of the lock things slowed way down. It took about an hour for me to install the lid and I worked on the lock for about 2 and a half before giving up. Called Undercover this am and it seems Toyota Tacoma's have changed their key shape somehow and it will not fit the Undercover lock.....Not at all Toyota's issue, Undercover should take a little more time during the order process to insure the customer that what their selling will have proper fitment for the appropriate vehicles. To remedy the problem, Undercover is sending me a new set of keys that will supposedly cure the problem. Since I'm not too far away from Undercover's factory, I asked if I had any more problems with the key(s) could I bring it by their business for them to look at. His response was that that was their manufacturing business and I'd have to take it to a retailer for the reprogramming. I spent a lot of money on this lid and don't think I should have to "take it to a retailer" to cure their mistake. The guy did say if I had any more problems with it the "Company" would send me a complete new lock.

2. Sep 18, 2017 at 4:58 AM
    FHC

FHC Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not sure what the problem is, mine came with its own keys. All I had to do was adjust the lock latches. Are you trying to lock it with the Tacoma key? It did take me about 2 hours to install mine just because I can't understand written instructions.

3. Sep 18, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    primemover

primemover Member

Member:
    I have an Elite LX and I have push button start on my Tacoma. It said to call them if I had the style of key with that is smooth on the outside edges and has the "teeth" cut on the inside. He said the options were to have new keys sent to me or a complete new lock with keys. I opted for a new lock and the new lock comes with a protective rubber cap over the keyhole. Just for fun I programmed it to my 98 Corolla key and it worked fine, while I waited for the new lock to show up. It got to me in Hawaii in about 2 days which is pretty damn fast.

CusterFan likes this.
  4. May 17, 2020 at 10:48 AM
    TexasHome4Me

TexasHome4Me New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma Full Crew + 6' bed
    Bought it used. Previous owner lifted it a bit, with appropriately wider tires. I've recently added a tonneau to the bed.
    I just had a Undercover Elite tonneau added to my 2016 Tacoma last week. Turns out I _might_ have been able to code the lock using my tailgate key, if I had one at the time. Yesterday, I went to my local Toyota dealer and they cut two new tailgate keys for me. Now I'm swimming in keys; Electronic remote with integrated 'square' key, Tailgate key, and Undercover tonneau key.

Reading a bit, it looks like I _should_ be able to re-key the barrel away from the Undercover key and over to my Tailgate key. They missing ingredient may be the magic 'ring' that goes around the barrel inside the cover allowing the re-key/initial keying.

Anyone have any experience re-keying an Undercover Elite Tonneau?

-- Mike

CusterFan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top