1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unemployed?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Leggo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Personally, I think we are heading deeper and deeper into the dark forest. Pretty soon we are going to lose ourselves. Payroll tax cuts are due to run out and so are benefits. If Congress doesn't pass something soon the I foresee more people being unemployed. If they do pass extending the payroll cuts and benefits we are only driving the country deeper into debt.

I am very happy to be where I am now and that I decided to make the Military a career. I feel for everyone who is unemployed actively looking for a job. I do also feel that the States and Federal Government needs to seriously look at their social programs and cut off the deadbeats and welfare/unemployment abusers.

There needs to be a compromise on both sides of Congress and the people.

Everyday I read the news I get more and more angry. The United States as a whole needs to take a step back, pull it's collective head out of its ass and focus on the bigger picture.

2. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    they suck! They ruin things for ones who need help AND deserve it.

3. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Doesn't work. Florida implemented such a plan .. in their case, drug testing all welfare recipients. Less than 2% of recipients are testing positive, and implementation of the program is costing the state more than it is saving.

4. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I've been out of work for two years now. I returned to college and will be finishing next week. I've been actively looking for a job (seven to ten resumes sent out a week) since last June. So far, I've had one interview, and I never heard back from the company. Very, very tough to land a decent job right now. Consider yourself lucky if you are employed, and remember, the shoe could unexpectedly drop on you any day. I most likely will end up making half of what I used to make.

5. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Thanks Brock-O! :broccoli: My parents would be proud!

6. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Well in construction being on unemployment is regular, once the job is over if the company you are with doesn't have work you go on unemployment until the union finds you another one. So for union guys you really can't do anything but take the unemployment checks until they find you some work, I've been on unemployment on and off ever since Ive been in construction that's just how construction is, but I have had long runs with absolutely no layoffs.

7. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    about 15 yrs ago, i was working in northern cali. The company i worked for was alaska based growing in california and texas. I worked with alot of illegals that was working the system, fake id's, collecting Unemployment benefits on 1-2 "aka" and working using another alias. These guys were making good money on gov. contracts and collecting benefits, just blew me away. I imagine this shit stilll happens today and it pisses me off but hey our system has so many loop holes, lack of checking ID's etc.... i have been on unemployment before but that was 20 yrs. ago and i actually was searching for another job and feeding my family, paying rent etc...with what i recieved. For the honest few that need it the extended benefits does help but this economy sucks, I have seen it for myself when i travel down south and talk with inlaws on the local economy. I am thankful alaska has not been hit hard during these hard times that everywhere else is dealing with. I wish all my unemployed TW members best of luck in finding employment.

8. Dec 2, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    enjm10

enjm10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Double Cab
    5% Front strip and doors, 20% wrapped around the rest of the truck.
    Its messed up when people have that. I've also been out w a back injury n will be returning to work soon and on workman's comp I even got a drug test toballow my benefits to continue I don't get upset when ppl make more on that unless they opt to get hurt n take unnecessary surgeries just to screw themselves up even more so they can then go on disability. I understand the extent of back injuries and at 22 let me tell u it ain't easy n only the injured person knows what they r feeling but yet again a lot more ppl claim workman's comp too in place of not being able to be let go n able to collect unemployment.

But back to the quoted part, I've been in manual labor since I started working n one Guy was let go w me n within a week I found a job n the other Guy didn't only because he was gonna make more or about the same not working then finding another job. Pathetic in my words, especially when u have a kid to support yet u still take the UE benefits. Wrong

9. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    x3 on drug testing. Sucks for people who really need the benefits when people will blatantly take advantage of the system.

10. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
  11. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    First, let's clarify. Welfare and unemployment are not the same thing. Please don't lump them together.

I think unemployment benefits are vital for those -- especially with house payments to make -- who need them. I also think that those who want to work and have some pride hate the stigma of being unemployed more than they like receiving benefits, and would much rather have a position that pays them the same amount.

There are also people who take advantage, and there are just some BAD programs out there. One of my neighbors had a son killed a while back. Washington (along with other states) has a program where they subsidized her rent because she is the mother of a murdered child. In addition to the program, all of her kids can live with her rent-free as long as she is alive. So basically her little dumbshit kids have no incentive to work, because they get free housing as long as they live with mom -- who gets free housing.

So I have a house of about 10 shitless layabouts next door who don't work and walk up and down the street all day being loud and selling weed and who knows what else.

That's fucked up.

12. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    I am on unemployment this winter after working on a Fed Govt. Hotshot crew all summer. I worked my ASS off, and got laid off a month ago. Lots of folks from Govt fire crews collect unemployment in the winter, because it is so difficult to find work that will compare to the unemployment checks you get. Also it is difficult to find another seasonal winter job knowing that you are going back to fire in the summer (May). I dont feel great about it, but honestly the type of work I do would not be worth it if unemployment was not an option./

I think the Feds should offer the wildland firefighters a winter seasonal job, instead of just laying us off and pretty much encouraging us to collect unemployment.

13. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    elicitone

elicitone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    I think a lot of the problems that are face by both the US and here in Canada is what I have been calling the prevailing "attitude of entitlement" There are entire generations of ppl in both countries that feel that their country owes them something!? And can't give any good reason for it other then "because".

Umemployment should be there for those who need it, and then it should be only be for a limited time. Up here our UI (unemployment insurance) I think goes to a max of 1 year and only if you have been working for enough time full time before hand. Not trashing on anybody but, 99 weeks!!!? Thats a long time.

Welfare is a who other beast. That is where the real scamming is going on up here. No checks and balances, no real security what to speak of. We have had ppl caught collecting welfare under 5++ different names. Driving BMW's and Mercedes to the office to pick up the cheques.

Government tried to implement a fingerprint system to eliminate the fraud, and the libretarians went nuts!!! But again that brings us back to the "attitude of entitlement"!

Rant complete...

14. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    I was laid off for my 2nd time in my 25+ year career as an IT Manager in Oct. of last year.

Finally found a job this past June at about 30% less than I was making and 50% less vacation. But, it's a job with a lot of potential for growth and promotion so, we'll see...

What REALLY steamed me when I was on unemployment were, the slackers. In one job seminar I was at, an HR employee from a big Pharm company was presenting. She mentioned how just the day before, she had 10 applicants due to show up for interviews, only 3 came in. Why? Simply because they are applying to jobs to cover their ass in case the IL unemployment office questions them. They have no intention of working while the checks are rolling in.

It's sad, some people game the system however they can.

15. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Currently unemployed, I have been working seasonal jobs. The expected date my next place to work will open is the 16th if we have enough snow.

16. Dec 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    sounds like bethlehem steel: every hiccup in the economy put the junior men out of work. went into 13 wk. extensions more than once. always collected the max. very hard to get any decent job when you work for a co. like that. they know you'r going to go back. you'd have to be a fool to work for less than you could collect, and you HAD to have a UC check to collect SUB.(supplimental unemployment benefits.) I believe that of 27 yr. 10 mo. working there, I was laid off a total of over 7 yrs. recessions aren't anything new to me. oh by the way--UC+SUB didn't add up to what I was making, and most of the time there was no money in the SUB fund to pay this benefit.

17. Dec 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    ptaco88

ptaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Stock
    If your in FL and are looking for a job i will be recruiting for the Army in Daytona Beach for the next 3 years :) man this will be tough.....lol

18. Dec 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    :rofl:mentioned this more than once to recent grads. when I mention that uncle sam has a job for them, most change the subject. even as an old man, I could still do my "job" in the navy. had it pretty good.

19. Dec 3, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    johnnyman1

johnnyman1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR PRE
    nerf audio
    If "they" really wanted to get rid of the Occupy folks,, just hold a job fair next to one of the camps. They will disperse like someone just dropped tear gas on the place.

20. Dec 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    ptaco88

ptaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Stock
    LOL actually i dont want to put any of those hippies in the Army the Army is cutting 140,000 troops over the next few years.. applicants who were once qualified during the peak of the wars are no longer.. they want us getting smart young applicants i.e. high school seniors or grads. I graduate recruiting school in 2 weeks and i am excited to begin I joined right out of school and am thankful for the job and training the Army has given to me hopefully i can steer some kids in the right direction too...

Products Discussed in

To Top