1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uniball vs Balljoint

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Johnny2525, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Mar 17, 2015 at 2:22 PM
    keaton1991

keaton1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    12 Pyrite DBL Cab Long Bed
    Icon 2.5 remote resi's front and desert racing A-arms, Icon 2.0 resi's with deaver leaf pack with POly bushings. Softopper
    I have desert racing boxed uniball uppers. They got extremely noisy fast after light offroading in muddy area's. I replaced all bushings and uniballs after 20k miles. Still make noise but less. If they are not powerwashed after a little rain in texas they start to squeak again. Was curious if worth replacing with icon or camburg capped uniballs? Any thoughts

2. Mar 17, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The uniballs will always be noisy. That's why they are usually not used for production vehicles, even exotics like Ferraris and Lambos. Thankfully it's just noise; the integrity of the uniball is not affected.

3. Mar 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Is this the same lub used for bicycle chains?

4. Mar 17, 2015 at 6:39 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  5. Mar 18, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Have used LR for over a year now with no problems and have done some pretty decent speeds on rough desert type roads.

6. Mar 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    Johnny2525

Johnny2525 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    ICON stage 3 suspension kit, Amp Research retractable steps, LED interior lighting, headlights, fog lights, MB wheels, FlowMaster exhaust. Rigid Industries back up lights, aFe Cold Air Intake with URD MAF sensor Calibrator
    Hey guys, I don't know why my dumbass can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'll start here. Does anyone have information about where Tacoma owners are getting together just to check out each others mods? I'm in the Ventura, Ca area. Maybe there is a website??

7. Mar 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    ICON stage 3 suspension kit, Amp Research retractable steps, LED interior lighting, headlights, fog lights, MB wheels, FlowMaster exhaust. Rigid Industries back up lights, aFe Cold Air Intake with URD MAF sensor Calibrator
    KenLyns...I efing love that pic at the bottom of your posts!! Daaaamn!

8. Mar 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM
    Alament92

Alament92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    HID's, Rancho quicklift, 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Method Race Wheels, K&N CAI, LED interior dome, map, license plate lights, 30 inch Avec LED light bar, Anti-dark hood lighting kit
    How often would you have to lube em up to keep them quiet? I live in Phx AZ so it's pretty dry year round. About every oil change?

9. Mar 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM
    Alament92

Alament92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    HID's, Rancho quicklift, 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Method Race Wheels, K&N CAI, LED interior dome, map, license plate lights, 30 inch Avec LED light bar, Anti-dark hood lighting kit
    P. S. Not trying to hijack this thread... Just thought since we were on the subject and all

10. Mar 25, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    I had a little squeak for a bit with my Camburg's after install. I disconnected the assembly by removing the 4 bolts on the LBJ and articulated the UB all around and lubed with dry lube. Mine are as quiet as BJ's. Been like that for a year or so. Mud rain, whatever the condition no squeaks. I haven't lubed them in a long time...maybe i will today.

11. Mar 25, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Been running icon uca's uniball for about 40,000 miles. Never put any thing on them. Not even caps. Never heard a sound from them.

12. Mar 25, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    My TC uniballs are still quiet 10k miles after install with no lube yet

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    BlownOutTaco likes this.
  13. Mar 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    I often wonder if I should have just got the rebuild kit for the Camburg Uniball. The customer service at Camburg sucks. They didn't offer any help at all. I don't know if my location has anything to do with the bad experience I had with the Camburg UCA's. It is kind of damp where I live. I don't know if the cap would help.

14. Mar 26, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
  15. Mar 26, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    KayStrait

KayStrait Camburg Girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kayla
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    '98 Desert Dune SR5 4Runner
    Just came across your dilemma...

Uniballs are like any kind of bearing. It is metal and on metal and when they are dry or dirty and have debris in the bearing it will make some kind of noise. As others have mentioned, it comes with the territory. It seems some people can have absolutely zero noise and never lube them, and others (depending on million factors) have to keep them maintained. It is simple maintenance, just spraying them with WD-40 (mild solvent to clean out the debris) and use some Tri-Flow or other kind of dry Teflon based lubricant. The reason why we say use only a Teflon based lube is because the lining of the uniball cup is Teflon, and once that is stripped, it will make all kinds of noise and then you're trouble. If the UCAs have been making noise since day one, then something was not tightened or seated correctly during the install. It sounds like you had some time before they actually started making noise after install? In that case, they are just letting you know they are dry and dirty. If the uniball has a lot of play or is pitted, then they need to be replaced. Also, like mentioned before, salt plays a big part in wrecking havoc on the uniball bearing, and in some cases it is better to go for balljoint, which we do have that come with covers included! Whether you are over running uniballs or not, do not let a little noise persuade you to turn to light racing UCAs. I have seen too many welds fail, and design flaws with those arms which can be dangerous. Of course there are some guys on here that have been lucky and have had no problems which is great! I personally do not think the risk is worth it. I am sorry you think our customer service is sub par, we try our best to please and help everyone as much as we can. We cannot make everyone happy, but we can try! If you are still looking for some UCAs, I can get you a pair of our new style b/j arms with the covers. We also offer a TW discount and actually have those good in stock right now, but they go fast. You can pick them up at Wheelers as well as any of our other dealers. If you still want the high quality and performance you had with our uniball arms, might as well go for our next best, our Camburg ball joint UCAs. And please, if you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, do not hesitate to ask me! This is what I am for.

Thanks! :)

16. Mar 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Hi Kayla,

I will admit that I didn't know much about uniballs and that it is common for them to make noise when I bought the Camburgs. I have read 1000 threads on UCA's since then and found out .... well....It's a crap shoot anyway! Ha! Everyone has a different story no matter which product they are running. My UCA's started making noise 3 months after I put them on. I did everything Camburg and everyone else said to do. The WD-40 with the tri-flow teflon dry lube did nothing. The part of this that frustrates me the most is that I thought maybe Camburg would've tried to help me out. They were not interested in hearing my story. They just kept saying," Really? They shouldn't be doing that." Hmmm...Duh?? I already have the LR UCA's and I can't see changing them out when there is nothing wrong with them. I'm not sure if Camburg had the balljoint option when all this happened? It wasn't that long ago, I guess it's been almost a year.

17. Mar 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    KayStrait

KayStrait Camburg Girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kayla
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    '98 Desert Dune SR5 4Runner
    Well I'm sorry to hear we couldn't help you much on the noisy uniballs, there really isn't much you can do to solve that. There are only so many things you can tell someone to help alleviate noise from bearings. Some aftermarket parts are not for everyone. The saying goes "Race Truck parts make Race Truck noise!" but if you are satisfied with the LR UCAs you have now, then that is great. All and all we just want to know we did our best to find products that fit your needs.

18. Jan 12, 2016 at 1:55 AM
    GYOAZ

GYOAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma SR5 4X4 MGM access cab
    Billies and Eibachs, Camburg BJ UCAs, Demello hybrid sliders SOS HC rear bumper, SOS front bumper, Warn M80000, fully armored, Safari snorkel, No-slip locker, diff breather, bumper and roof mounted light bars, onboard Viair, 275/70 17 BFG ATs, and a badass sound system.
    I'm looking to purchase some UCAs. If I were to go with the camburg ball joint UCAs could I swap out the ball joint for the uniball in the future and vice-versa? If I had the option to switch from ball joint to uniball without having to replace the entire arm that would be a great sellilng point.

19. Jan 12, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Nope, doesn't work like that, and I do not believe anyone makes an arm that you can do that.

GYOAZ[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    You guys sure it's the uniballs and not the polyurethane bushings? My UB never make any noticeable sound. Just the bushings. When they get too squeaky I know it's time to grease the bushings. After that totally quiet. Also TC uniballs are not metal on metal bearings, there is a cloth backed Teflon liner between the ball and the race.

BlownOutTaco and YotaDan like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top