1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unichip

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by hodgerussell, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Aug 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    hodgerussell

hodgerussell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Edmonds, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab, PreRunner, K&N Cold Air Intake
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Hellwig Rear Helper Springs, Bilstin 5100 Adjustable, 31" Toyo A/T's
    Have any of you guys installed "Unichip" on your Tacoma's. I went to 4 Wheel Parts and they said this is the only one that will work on Tacoma's. I have an 05 Double Cab Prerunner. Was hoping someone installed it and can tell me if they noticed any gains or is this a waste of $400?

2. Aug 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    zacksblacktaco

zacksblacktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    west virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sport access
    AEM CAI Throttle body spacer Borla cat back exhaust Doug Thorley long tubes RCD 4.5 anzo halo projectors with 4300k hids 12000k hid fogs T-rex stainless mesh mesh grille kit in pro car wear LED taillights & 3rd brake LED reverse lights LED license plate lights LED dome & map lights all Kicker speakers with 15 inch L7 subwoofer Jensen 7inch flipout headunit Trd sport seatcovers Re-badged red Tacoma
    IMO dont waste the money on a unichip it is a pain in everyway possible, if you are wanting performance gains through a chip then save up and buy the UCON ems system from URD.

3. Aug 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Some people have it and it works fine but you have to pay extra for tuning. The UCON EMS as mentioned above is another option. AEM also makes an EMS. What are you trying to do with the truck?

4. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    hodgerussell

hodgerussell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Edmonds, WA
    Vehicle:
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Hellwig Rear Helper Springs, Bilstin 5100 Adjustable, 31" Toyo A/T's
    With those other 2 kinds do you have splice into existing wires? Currently I only have K&N Cold Air Intake. I'm just trying to boost power and towing ability and gain fuel mileage. Eventually I will be getting exhaust but that is my next step. Thanks for all your guys knowledge and help.

5. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    You are looking at 500 for the Unichip and over 1000 for the others. They are really meant for performance use. For MPG gains I suggest putting your driving habits in check. As far as towing capacity goes, nothing will raise it.

The URD MAF cal is a cheaper option for power but it only works at full throttle or high load situations. That K&N intake is taking power away because it doesn't shield against engine heat.

6. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    hodgerussell

hodgerussell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Edmonds, WA
    Vehicle:
    My driving habits are really good. I'm averaging 22-24 mpg on the hwy and 18-20 mpg in the city. I was just trying to get the best gas mileage out of the vehicle.

7. Aug 30, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    That's all you are going to get.

8. Sep 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    hodgerussell

hodgerussell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Edmonds, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for letting me know. Guess I won't waste my money on a chip

To Top