1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unlimited Budget

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 6spdtaco, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I am looking for suggestions for a complete 2.5-3" lift setup. I do have a budget, but if money was no question, what would be the best? Coils, leaf pack, UCA's, diff. drop? Are UCA's and a Diff drop even neccessary?

I have read all sorts of posts and info about UCA's and cannot get a much of a straight answer. I have a good friend with an OME kit with stock UCA's and he says his alignment is fine.

Sorry if this might seem like topics that have been covered before. I am just looking for opinions on THE BEST setup.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I guess it depends on what he means by fine. I had the stock uca's with bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and I could see the wheels tilted like this \ / though not to that extreme but it was noticable. I was able to drive it with no problems but it bugged me. Some complained that the truck felt drifty, I assume because it's riding more on the tire's edge. Take a look at your buddy's truck from the front and see if you can see them tilted.

UCAs are a better way to go for tire wear. The preferred on this site seem to be Total Chaos. I have the Light Racing UCAs which suit my needs.

You might want a diff drop (assuming your truck is a 4x4). If you go to 3" it's probably recommended to reduce the angle on your CV joints. Of course, if you're a prerunner, you don't need them as you have no front cv joints or differential.

Many people are happy with the OME setups. I have the Toytec Adjustable Coilovers, since I had the Bilsteins already.

For the rear, you can just do an add-a-leaf (AAL). It's about $80 and is pretty easy to install with help.

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    I personally think that I have the best suspension set up I could go with for the money, at the time. I am running Icon Coilovers, Icon UCA's, Icon rear reservoir shocks, and custom built Deaver leaf springs. Why is it the best, because it is exactly what I wanted and performs great in all conditions from slow crawling, trails, high speed desert, and highway use. Now that there are some mid travel set ups out there, I wouldn't mind a slightly wider stance and a tad more wheel travel, but really, the price really jumps when you go to that point and it rules out getting to do some of the other mods that I really want to do. Like a snorkel. If I could do a snorkel with fiberglass that would be great, but I have yet to see that be pulled of and look like the snorkel should be there.

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    I have the Icon front and rear, TC UCA and Deaver's in the back, aside from the ride height (which they are taking care of on Friday) I couldn't be happier, the thing ride's excellent, soaks up big and small bumps at slow the pretty quick speeds.

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Total chaos long travel, glass fenders and bedsides

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fully caged front to rear, back half, 4 link, camburg race kit front long travel, with coilovers and bypasses at all corners, supercharger, 35s, currie 9" rear end.

Probably a 60-70,000 dollar truck :)

7. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco

Nice. Yeah I've got my dream off road rig pictured in my head, but what I'm looking for is a daily driver 2.5" lift.

Thanks for the mental pic. That truck would be sweet!

8. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    you forgot to mention the gearing! how bout a marlin crawler dual T-case.

9. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed

Products Discussed in

To Top