1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unlimited Budget

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 6spdtaco, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Tom Woods driveshaft. TRD short throw shift kit. TRD exhaust. AFE Stage II intake. CBI Bumpers front and rear. Warn 8000i winch/ synthetic line. OME 3" lift w/ dakar springs and 886 coils. ATO Front skid. ARE MX cap. Trail Team FJ wheels. Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75-16 C tires. Diff breather relocation mod.
    I am looking for suggestions for a complete 2.5-3" lift setup. I do have a budget, but if money was no question, what would be the best? Coils, leaf pack, UCA's, diff. drop? Are UCA's and a Diff drop even neccessary?

I have read all sorts of posts and info about UCA's and cannot get a much of a straight answer. I have a good friend with an OME kit with stock UCA's and he says his alignment is fine.

Sorry if this might seem like topics that have been covered before. I am just looking for opinions on THE BEST setup.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I guess it depends on what he means by fine. I had the stock uca's with bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and I could see the wheels tilted like this \ / though not to that extreme but it was noticable. I was able to drive it with no problems but it bugged me. Some complained that the truck felt drifty, I assume because it's riding more on the tire's edge. Take a look at your buddy's truck from the front and see if you can see them tilted.

UCAs are a better way to go for tire wear. The preferred on this site seem to be Total Chaos. I have the Light Racing UCAs which suit my needs.

You might want a diff drop (assuming your truck is a 4x4). If you go to 3" it's probably recommended to reduce the angle on your CV joints. Of course, if you're a prerunner, you don't need them as you have no front cv joints or differential.

Many people are happy with the OME setups. I have the Toytec Adjustable Coilovers, since I had the Bilsteins already.

For the rear, you can just do an add-a-leaf (AAL). It's about $80 and is pretty easy to install with help.

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant Luckow
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon UCA, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, OME Dakar w/ AAL, custom Crown Performance brake lines, U-bolt flip, factory 16's w/ 255/85R16 BFG KM2's and 16x8 bronze Konig Countersteer Offroads wrapped in 295/75R16 BFG KO's, CBI Off-Road Fab. Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Rigid Duallies, FYRLYT's on the front, Bestop soft topper, BHLM, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust behind cracked Doug Thorley prototype long tube headers. URD spec-U headers on order.
    I personally think that I have the best suspension set up I could go with for the money, at the time. I am running Icon Coilovers, Icon UCA's, Icon rear reservoir shocks, and custom built Deaver leaf springs. Why is it the best, because it is exactly what I wanted and performs great in all conditions from slow crawling, trails, high speed desert, and highway use. Now that there are some mid travel set ups out there, I wouldn't mind a slightly wider stance and a tad more wheel travel, but really, the price really jumps when you go to that point and it rules out getting to do some of the other mods that I really want to do. Like a snorkel. If I could do a snorkel with fiberglass that would be great, but I have yet to see that be pulled of and look like the snorkel should be there.

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    I have the Icon front and rear, TC UCA and Deaver's in the back, aside from the ride height (which they are taking care of on Friday) I couldn't be happier, the thing ride's excellent, soaks up big and small bumps at slow the pretty quick speeds.

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    Total chaos long travel, glass fenders and bedsides

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fully caged front to rear, back half, 4 link, camburg race kit front long travel, with coilovers and bypasses at all corners, supercharger, 35s, currie 9" rear end.

Probably a 60-70,000 dollar truck :)

7. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Tom Woods driveshaft. TRD short throw shift kit. TRD exhaust. AFE Stage II intake. CBI Bumpers front and rear. Warn 8000i winch/ synthetic line. OME 3" lift w/ dakar springs and 886 coils. ATO Front skid. ARE MX cap. Trail Team FJ wheels. Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75-16 C tires. Diff breather relocation mod.

Nice. Yeah I've got my dream off road rig pictured in my head, but what I'm looking for is a daily driver 2.5" lift.

Thanks for the mental pic. That truck would be sweet!

8. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    you forgot to mention the gearing! how bout a marlin crawler dual T-case.

9. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
To Top