1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade 3rd gen Jbl speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by drtyday44, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Jan 22, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Thanks, I'll check for low rms with 2ohm. I am going to sound deaden everything first and see how that improves it. Will probably still need to change some pieces out.

2. Jan 22, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    IndyFastlane

IndyFastlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    A guy posted a pic of the JBL dash tweeters over in my “EASY tweeter upgrade” thread a while back. The connector is a two pin (vs a four pin on the standard tweeter), so it appears that they are not wired in series like the non-JBL entune system. That would simplify wiring a bit. I don’t know if the JBL tweeters have an integrated crossover on them or if it’s filtered further upstream (like at the amp perhaps?). Crossovers may or may not be necessary....Not sure.

3. Jan 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Yeah, it sounds like if I want to really improve it, I should see a pro, I don't understand enough about tuning the systems and getting everything matched perfectly to do it correctly. If it was the stock system it'd be easier and I wouldn't feel bad about messing it up a little.

4. Feb 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    uhplifted

uhplifted The Hopfather

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCLB OR
    Since people are in here and seem to know some stuff I'll ask here instead of a new thread.

I (unfortunately) have the JBL system in my double cab. I'm looking at getting these Infinity Kappas for the front, and these JLs for the rear.

I don't know hardly anything about setting these up and all the terms that are being used. I understand that the stock tweeters are wired in series with the speakers so that I can't just replace them easily (unless I get the subaru kicker drop ins). But the Kappas have their own tweeters so I don't need to get the subby drop ins unless I want stupid amounts of highs in the front (which I don't).

Can anyone tell me if the setup I have will work? I know I'll need to splice or get a harness for the tweeters which I think I can get the one off *********. How easy/hard of an install would this be? And would it be able to run fine without needing to upgrade the amp?

5. Feb 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    First off, I have not done this particular kind of upgrade and do not have JBL, but I have put new systems into a 1st gen, 2nd gen, and an '06 4Runner. Second, what are your goals with the upgrade?

If your goals are louder, cleaner sound, just putting those speakers in is probably not going to get you there. I can't find specs on the JBL amp, but it is doubtful it is very high-powered and may not drive those speakers efficiently. It may sound slightly better, or it may sound even worse. Unless you redo the entire system, including subwoofer, it's probably not going to be balanced very well.

I typically do a sealed sub box (you may be able to reuse the existing box if you can find the right sub), powered by a bridged amp, and a separate amp for the front speakers. Most good amps have adjustments for frequency cutoffs and levels, so you can get things balanced well. I typically run the rears off the head unit. Now, this is when replacing the head unit as well with pre-amp inputs. You don't get that on the Entune system, and it's a really nice system. Comparable aftermarket is high dollar. So, to keep your Entune, you'd need a sound processor.

There are companies that make well-designed kits with sound processors and everything you need, but they are not cheap. When you look at what they offer, though, it's really not a bad deal. The OEM Audio Plus Reference 500Q system is very well-executed, and not a bad deal in my opinion. ********* offers a similar package.

If you are just looking for slightly cleaner sound, there are some speakers designed for lower wattage that may sound fine with the stock setup, but you won't know unless you try it, and I find that what sounds good is very subjective. My wife is tone deaf and thinks everything should sound like an old portable transistor radio.

6. Feb 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    Neoturner

Neoturner Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Turner
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Just ran across this thread from a second gen jbl owner but I think the principal would be the same. It appears you can bypass the stock tweeter by connecting the like wires that go in and out of the tweeter harness. For second gen the tweeter is on the door. Third is in the dash so that's the harness you would need to bypass.

www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tweeter-delete.533775/#post-17132866

Think it's post #6

7. Feb 23, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    uhplifted

uhplifted The Hopfather

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCLB OR
    I appreciate the knowledge dump you just gave me but I don’t know what all of that means haha.

I’m just trying to get better sound out of my truck. I placed the order for both those speakers I listed. And will be ordering the tweeter harness from taco tunes and then having a shop install it. Well see how it sounds as is and if I need to get a bigger amp I will do that. I think the jbl amp in there now is 400w? I talked with another member here last night at a meet who has done some audio and he seems to think it’ll be able to power it fine.

I don’t really need or want slamming bass, I’m just looking for crisper and cleaner sounds.

8. Feb 24, 2018 at 6:28 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    If the JBL amp has that much power, it should have enough to drive those speakers efficiently and you should be fine for what you want out of it. When you get into adding amps to a stock head unit is when things start getting tricky and expensive. Some people will put in high-wattage speakers without enough power behind them and it sounds worse. Matching the RMS output of the amp to the speakers is what you want to get the best out of the speakers.

uhplifted[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    Batman!

Batman! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    IG: moddedtacomas
    Enough is enough... I can't do it anymore with these jbl paper thin speakers. what are some recommendations for front & rear door speakers?

As for the subwoofer, I can wait since that hasn't really bother me.

10. Jun 30, 2018 at 6:25 PM
    Solislbc

Solislbc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 6' bed/premium package
    I can’t seem to find a straight answer on this either.

Is there a solution for upgrading the stock tweeters to obtain crisper sound for the jbl systems on 3rd gens?

Batman! likes this.
  11. Jul 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    WarpedAlien

WarpedAlien Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey TRD Sport double Cab
    Here is what the Toyota JBL system consists of (info from another website):
    Dash-Board 2.5" Speakers:
    Speaker Specs:
    --Resistance: 2 ohms
    --Average Power from amp over a 1100hz range: 11.87 Watts
    --Max Power from amp achieved at any hertz: 12.5 Watts at 600hz and 533hz
    --Amp is outputting roughly 12 watts RMS at 2 ohms to these speakers.
    Crossover Characteristics
    --These speakers play down to about 250hz before cutting out and go up to 15khz+
    --The crossover with the 6x9's start at 550hz. (6x9's start playing at 500hz, while the 2.5" pick up around 250hz. Both play between 250-550hz)

Front Door 6x9's Speakers - Basically a midwoofer and part of a component setup with the dash speakers which are not tweeters.
    Speaker Specs:
    --Resistance: 2 ohms
    --Average Power from amp over a 500hz range: 26.75 Watts
    --Max Power from amp achieved at any hertz: 30.81 Watts at 158.7hz
    --Amp is outputting roughly 25 watts RMS at 2 ohm to these speakers
    --Like above, 6x9's play from 20hz-550'ish hz while the 2.5 play 250hz - 15khz+.
    --Both play between 250hz-550hz

Rear Door 6.5" Speakers
    Speaker Specs
    --Resistance: 4 ohms
    --Average Power from amp over a 500hz range: 21.27 Watts
    --Max Power from amp achieved at any hertz: 24.32 Watts at 267hz
    --Amp is outputting roughly 21 watts RMS at 4 ohms to these speakers
    --None, these are full range speakers, they get 20hz-20khz.

8" DVC Sub 2ohm
    Speaker Specs
    --According to Toyota documents this sub is powered by 2 channels. Each one operates at 2 ohms
    --Amp supplies a total of 110 watts (according to JBL's website) to both channels so 55 watts RMS at 2 ohms per channel

The AMP

Not sure if a 6 or 8 channel amp. Will have to look further into it.

The OP that wrote this physically measured each speaker but not the amps output.

See this thread for more info on directly swapping the speakers. I haven't found a great solution to the issue. I would love nothing more than to pull all the speakers out and ad an amp and sub box. But I don't think it's worth it and I am looking for an alternate to replace the speakers only including the sub. By the way the sub would be easy to replace. There are a few 2 ohm DVC shallow mount Subs available.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/premium-audio-upgrade-for-less-than-250.510424/

So far I have found a few 2.7 and 3 ohm speakers that may be good replacements for the front. The rear doors are easy to find in any brand. The sub is easy to find also.
    That being said, what to replace the dash and door with. Not to mention sound deaden the door. 6x9 can produce as much bass as and 8 inch sub if mounted correctly.
    I have noticed a lot of people using the direct drop in subaru tweeters. Not one as mentioned the ohm rating or RMS on these.
    If you use the subaru tweets why are some dropping a full range 3 way 6x9 in the doors?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PV6F8I2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2S91GH47JS3RY

V2009, enduringsnark, vpitaco and 3 others like this.
  12. Jul 7, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    badhabit2break

badhabit2break Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Stock
    You could always run a Digital Signal Processor (DSP). Rockford Fosgate DSR1 with Maestro aT03 and bypass the amp all together. But you will need aftermarket amps.

You could then use the OEM sub box, and your own sub with the aftermarket amp.

just a suggestion.

DSP $249 (Crutchfield)
    Maestro cable $30 (Crutchfield)

Your choice of aftermarket amps = PRICELESS.

13. Jul 8, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    WarpedAlien

Member:
    Vehicle:

Ironically the stock JBL system has an 8 channel DSP amp and is probably utilized as a crossover yet seeing pictures of it there are no visible controls. So it's internal and preset.
    I was hoping just to find better speakers and drop them in. however the amp and crossover points may be an issue.
    Anyone work with an audio shop on just changing the speakers or take the deep dive and hope they work?
    Next time NO JBL system...

14. Jul 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    badhabit2break

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    You could just change the speakers. Just make sure they match the home specified in this thread, other wise you are going to cut the power in half if you use 4ohm speakers.

15. Jul 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM
    Solislbc

Solislbc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 6' bed/premium package
    If I buy the Subaru Kicker tweeters and just swap them out, will that improve the sound? I have the JBl system.

16. Jul 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    badhabit2break

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I believe the JBL system tweeters are 2ohm. You need to make sure the Subaru upgrade tweeters are the same. If they are 4ohm, then you are cutting the power in half to them. Not only that, the JBL tweeters have a two pin connector, the Subaru has a 4 pin connector.

Things that are frustrating when you get the "Premium Upgrade" and what to take it to the next level.

17. Jul 9, 2018 at 4:29 PM
    WarpedAlien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    From what I have seen searching this forum. The JBL speaker in the dash is NOT a tweeter. It play from 550hz to 20 khz. It has 2 pin connection vs the non JBL tacomas 4 pin connector which is also the same as the Subaru tweeter. So all of us that have the JBL system are basically screwed out of all easy audio upgrades.

18. Oct 3, 2018 at 4:14 AM
    House Forsaken

House Forsaken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Traded) 2017 TRD Off-Road (Traded) 2018 TRD Off-Road
    I know this is a bit old, but has anyone made any progress?
    I've got an amp, kicker speakers, subaru tweeters, taco tunes harness and LC7i coming out of my old taco and I was hoping (until now) that they'd plug right into the new one. I did know the tweeters would need to be modded, but now hearing the JBL dash speakers aren't tweeters i think i'm screwed there.

19. Oct 3, 2018 at 5:42 AM
    CoastieRon

CoastieRon Hammocking Fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Nashua
    Vehicle:
    Lil' Silver
    Too much.
    The JBL system is different all together. Because it has a preset DSP/Amp, it is tuned to the speakers that come with the JBL system, and changing the speakers out may make the system sound worse.

20. Oct 3, 2018 at 6:07 AM
    House Forsaken

House Forsaken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Traded) 2017 TRD Off-Road (Traded) 2018 TRD Off-Road
    Well that sucks. Do you think the LC7i line converter would help? Do you know if the factory amp has an input for one?

To Top