1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade Speaker Install Questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rocketball, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Aug 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball [OP] If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I'll be installing my new Pioneer TS speakers in my DC this weekend, and have a few questions.

1. I got the MDF speaker adapter plates from Mr. Marve. Do I need to paint them before installing? I know the inside of the door gets a little water inside when it rains, so that's why I'm asking. I know from my experience in construction that MDF can be like a sponge when exposed to moisture.

2. Again about the rain.... Do I need to use any type of sealant between the adapter plates and door? I see the write up sticky thread talks about using a 3M strip sealant. I have lots of silicone caulk. Will that work? Is it really neccessary at all?

3. What type of hardware do I need? I'd like to have everything in hand before I start instead of running to the store after taking the door panels off.

Thanks,

2. Aug 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Uhh...

Sure, it can't hurt.
    Yes.
    Screws to mount MDF.
    Screws to mount speakers to MDF.

3. Aug 14, 2010 at 2:08 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I built my own speaker spacers out of MDF so that I could put 6x9's in my rear doors. I did not use any sealant other than silicon caulk. Even then I didnt apply much, its main purpose was to create a simulated enclosure for my speaker similar to a sub box not for sealing the wood. Its not a bad idea but I dont thinks its really required. Heres what I did...

Products Discussed in

To Top