1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade speakers/quality in 2014 reg cab while keeping stock H.U

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by vegenaut, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Oct 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    vegenaut

vegenaut [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vegenaut
    Las Vegas, NV / Mountain Pass, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Reg Cab 4WD
    Hi there. I'm trying to up the sound quality in my reg cab 2014 tacoma (base trim level with basic entune head unit) while keeping the stock head unit. There is 1 speaker/tweeter pair per door.

From studying similar posts, It seems that adding a lineout converter plus an amp plus replacing the speakers is the best option. For my specific case, would adding something like the Audio Control LC2i ( http://www.audiocontrol.com/17612/6...er-with-AccuBASStm-and-Subwoofer-Control.html ) plus a modest amp ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136JX3602/JL-Audio-JX360-2.html?tp=35757 ) be sufficient for my needs? I've never worked with component speakers before so I'm not sure if I only need 2 channels or if I need more. I'm assuming each speaker+tweeter is 1 channel... so if I have a pair of those I need 2 channels. I don't need it to be crazy loud, I'm more worried about quality.

So... would adding those 2 components plus replacing the speakers get the job done?

Thanks

2. Oct 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    a decent 2 channel amp will do just fine power a component set via passive cross over.

3. Oct 21, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    SlowComa666

SlowComa666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    you don't need the LC2i that amplifier will accept speaker inputs.

4. Oct 22, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Get a mini amp (put it under your driver seat), put new speakers in and blast away. For better sound, use some sort of deadener in the doors. I did this to mine and it is plenty loud, plus you keep the stock HU.

5. Oct 22, 2014 at 7:50 AM
    NCtaco914

NCtaco914 MALLIN'CRAWLIN'

Member:
    First Name:
    NEIL
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD O/R
    In the same boat as you. Looking to upgrade but, want to keep the stock HU for functionality and thief purposes :D Interested to see if anyone chimes in.

Does anyone feel like an amp to power the new door speakers is a must?

6. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    yes, 100%. The goal imo for people that are simply wanting a little extra sound would be to find speakers and an amp that fits that budget, i.e a budget build. 6.5 component speakers and a small footprint 4 channel thats bridgeable to 2 channels. Deadener the door inside and outside skin and seal the cabinet

Many will say, which I'm not going to debate or defend, Don't overpower your speakers.
    You are much better off over power mids by 50% than underpowering. Also, if your speakers for argument sake can only take 100wrms and ur amp can do 125, it doesnt mean its going to only give it 125. An amp can put out as much as you want within its parameter.

Set your gains properly, set to full channel instead of lp/hp if running a passive cross over and enjoy.

7. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    vegenaut

vegenaut [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    vegenaut
    Las Vegas, NV / Mountain Pass, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Reg Cab 4WD
    Thanks for the replies folks! Amp + new speakers on the way. I now see line-out converters aren't required for most amps with speaker-level inputs but for most of them it seems like you need a wiring adapter (speaker-wire to RCA).

8. Nov 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    I actually like my Entune Head unit in my new 2015 Sport as well. But want to upgrade the speakers and amp, and add a sub. So what would be a good 5 channel amp to go with, and front and rear speakers. I was thinking about adding Alpine SPR 60C's up front and Apline SPR 60's in the back. Also probably the JL Audio single or double sub Stealthbox for the rear. But Crutchfield tried telling me I had to buy a JL Audio Cleansweep in order to do it? Also do people generally put 6x9's up front or 6 1/2 components?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  9. Nov 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM
    locomotive282

locomotive282 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Carson, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner V6
    There are a lot of amps that take speaker level inputs but the problem is that most factory head units have built in eq non defeatable to compensate for the low quality of the factory speakers. So line level converters like clean sweep out put a clean unequalized signal to an amp.

I say 6 ½ components in the front doors. 6 ½ coaxials in the rear doors. And a 4 channel amp. Applying sound deadner to the doors like dynamat is a must.

To mount the speakers to the doors use the Scosche Bracket SAT69.

Products Discussed in

To Top