1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgraded CS-144 Alternator not charging battery

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EntradaTaco, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM
    EntradaTaco

EntradaTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD
    Grey Wire, ABS Switched, DRL Switched, Auxiliary Fuse Block, Hella Driving + Fog Lights, Backup Lights
    Just completed the CS-144 alternator upgrade and the Big 3. Problem is I'm getting no charge from the alternator. It's all wired up correctly, "S" to the battery terminal, "I" is unused, and "L" to the charge warning light (yellow). Connections are all soldered and the battery terminals are clean.

I noticed that my charge warning light doesn't light up as part of the check when the keys are first put in the ignition. Does yours cycle on as part of the check? If the bulb is dead would it keep from triggering the alternator to kick on? WTF! :confused:

2. Apr 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    is that a self-igniting alt. or does it need a signal to start charging? that may be what the "I" wire is.

3. Apr 23, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    EntradaTaco

EntradaTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD
    Grey Wire, ABS Switched, DRL Switched, Auxiliary Fuse Block, Hella Driving + Fog Lights, Backup Lights
    The CS series alternators can use either "I" ignition or "L" lamp circuit. All of the tutorials use "L" spliced into the yellow lamp wire from the oem harness.

Products Discussed in

To Top