1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading a stock 07 trd sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sporttaco322, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    Sporttaco322

Sporttaco322 [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport dbl cab
    I’ve got an 07 TRD sport double cab with 200k that I’m looking to freshen and upgrade. This is my first Tacoma and I love it so far. My dad took care of it maintenance wise and it hasn’t been abused in any way. It’s in nice shape.

It’s mostly goin to be my work truck, but I would like to have some fun in it though too. I love the look of the sport, however, I’d like to see it perform out on some trails.

Having those kind of miles, I’m already flushing all the fluids, and tuning up. I’m looking at there being some suspension upgrades, possibly a lift. I’m looking for some suggestions on what to look into.

Thanks.

2. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
  3. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    After youve done your research on suspension pm Marie @HeadStrong Off-Road and she will get you pointed in the right direction. Remember buy once cry once

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  4. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:05 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    I have the same type truck and I'm also looking to refresh my suspension. I have over 100K with this mild setup: 5100 Bilsteins in the front, on OEM springs set to the highest setting (this gave me about 2.5" lift); and in the rear I have 1-inch blocks with OEM leaf springs (have not taken in the truck for the leaf spring recall). Rear shocks are OME Nitros, and they are definitely shot, but the Bilsteins still handle pretty well. I bought OME 2885 springs and will most likely re-use the Bilsteins.

I also have the Taco 'lean' due to the added weight on the driver side - gas tank, driver, battery, steering. Front leans 3/8" and rear leans 3/4". I'm looking to get a 1/4" spacer for the front and 1/2" spacer for the rear.

Wheeler's Off Road has everything you need. They have the best prices I've seen for the spacers, $22 for the front 1/4" (or $8 for polyurethane), and $16 for the rear, 1/2" steel spacer.

Since you'll be using your Taco as a work truck, you may want to consider add-a-leafs. Wheelers has 1.5 and 2 inch lift leafs for under $80/pair. 5100 Biltsteins for the front are among the most affordable adjustable height shocks you're gonna find, and I have found them to be durable for mild off-roading. (I hit the dez at least twice a year for the weekend)

Sporttaco322[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:53 AM
    Sporttaco322

Sporttaco322 [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport dbl cab
    Some great info Chuy... thanks a lot.
    I’ve been reading into the Bilsteins for the front, and they have some good responses. Are you suggesting a set of Bilsteins for the rear too while I’m at it? And I can use the coils that are already on there, and work out fine?
    I was looking at the AAL for sure. That would help with stance and level things out too, correct?
    And this “taco lean” I’ve been reading about seems to be a thing. I haven’t noticed anything off on mine, but, that’s not to say it’s gonna happen at some point. How much is involved in putting in those spacers? I’d like to be able to get in there and bust my own wrenches... are these all things I would be able to do at home on free time? Or better to have a tech in a shop do?

6. Feb 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Any gas shock will do fine in the rear. I got the OME's cause they were on sale. The thing to consider is to get an extended shock if you are going to be raising the rear. The OME's I got are good for 1-2" of added height. I'm now looking at the 5125's, # 33-230337.

You can re-use your OEM coils, but at 200K, they may have compressed a bit. The 5100's can help with the height but they will pre-compress the coils a bit, reducing effective travel - not a big deal if you don't mind a stiffer ride and will only be doing light off-roading. This is why I got the new coils, and because of the amount of lean I have. The front spacers fit under the tower - They slide in when you insert the shock/strut assembly. For 1/4" spacers you can re-use the OEM bolts; for larger spacers, you'll need extended bolts. The rear spacer requires replacing the center bolt with a longer one and inserting the spacer at the bottom.

You can measure your lean for comparison, from L to R - measure from ground to bottom of fender opening through midline of the wheels.

I suggest you do the front first. Get it dialed in, then get the appropriate spacer or add-a-leaf to level the truck.

7. Feb 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Just noticed Toytec 2.5" springs on sale at Wheelers for $140. Don't know if you want that much lift, but that's a good price; I would have got them instead of the OME, had they gone on sale two weeks ago.

8. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    Sporttaco322

Sporttaco322 [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport dbl cab
    I’m with you on replacing the coils... I was already looking to get a set just so I can prepare the 5100s for the swap when I’m ready.
    That does sound like a good price. And those would still work fine with the same shocks? Over all with those two, I’m prob looking at a 3” lift in the front when all is said and done?
    I’m fine with that. It’s actually about what I was shooting for.
    What else should I consider replacing or upgrading for a setup based off that? And I think it’s safe to say, it’s only going to be light to medium off-roading for now.

9. Feb 26, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    You could purchase a 3rd gen takeoff set....

10. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Will work on 5100's, per Toytec webpage, and Eibach makes the springs for them.
    Only other items to consider replacing are the mount plates, aka top hats. I got me some KYB's (SM5640) from Amazon.

3" imo is a bit too much for the OEM UCA's; members have reported alignment issues. My 5100's are set for highest lift and alignment techs have told me the adjustments were at the max. But, I don't know how much lift I actually have because I never measured the OEM height. Just saying, be careful; maybe be ready to replace the UCA's.

11. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    Sporttaco322

Sporttaco322 [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport dbl cab
    I think I’ll stick with the 5100’s and some new/ newer OEM coils. Just to be on the safe side till I am ready for a full out proper lift altogether. I don’t want to start diving in till I know exactly what I’m going to need and can set aside the funds and time for that.

I am looking into some other maintenance things that should be addressed though. Someone recommended u-joints....
    I’m looking at possibly bushings and mounts that tend to break down etc.

12. Feb 26, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    Sporttaco322

Sporttaco322 [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport dbl cab
    One thing that has kind of been on my radar, is the paint. It’s the bright white, and it looks like the clear has faded away. It’s a matte white to put it best. I’m not against it- but, i know it needs to have some kind of protection on it. I thought about looking in a basic respray over the truck, and just picking out some new decals.
    Has anyone else had any issue with the paint? Or am I just the lucky one

13. Feb 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Some things to check on the front end: wheel bearings, bushings, and BJ's. The front cam/bolt tend to freeze; you can check those know without raising the front end. Just remove the nuts and see if the cam will slide out. My passenger-side was seized and I had to cut it with a saw - it's a common problem if you don't think ahead to pull them and grease them. I replaced my u-joints at about 120K as preventive maintenance. Only the carrier bearing needed replacing. It needed replacing again at about 150K - I had installed a cheap one, Dorman, I think.

14. Feb 26, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    Sporttaco322

Sporttaco322 [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport dbl cab
    Good stuff.... I’ll be looking into these.

Products Discussed in

To Top