1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading a stock?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4x4fam, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Mar 30, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    4x4fam

4x4fam [OP] Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD off road
    No Mods
    I bought my 09 Tacoma this last fall of 2008. I am not a hard core off-roader as my spouse has a Jeep that we use for more of the hardcore stuff. However, out of all of our friends, we are the only 2 that have off-road vehicles. Our friends like to go with us but it is hard to fit them comfortably in a 2 door jeep. Our friends like taking my truck more (a couple of the friends are a bit hefty). Whenever we go, the extra weight makes me notice the stock clearance. I was looking into getting some bigger tires, maybe 285-70's or 285-75's. With that size of tire I would need a lift so the tires wouldn't rub.

A couple questions to you guys:
    1. Should I get bigger tires and a lift?
    If so, what tires and or lift do you reccommend?
    2. If I stay with the same 265-70/75's should I get a small lift?
    3. Should I just get tires that have more grip?

As my spouse has the Jeep, he knows information about a Jeep. Not about a Tacoma or a truck in general (specification wise). Any help would be nice as I wouldn't know where to begin looking. Thanks ahead a time.

2. Mar 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well.....if you are wanting a lift....toytec has some nice options, or you can do as many have done and get a set of bilstein 5100's for the front to level it out. a 265/75/16 is the biggest tire you can fit without a lift....but it looks really good with a mild lift or stock height.....and i dont think that size looks bad with a 3 inch lift. if you do decide you want a lift instead of leveling.................coils in the front and aal in the rear and a diff drop....you'll be set. as for tires...........depends on what you want really. bridgestone dueler a/t revos or nitto terra grapplers are great tires for lots of driving conditions.

3. Mar 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    I just got 265/75/16's with a 2" Daystar Spacer lift. I am going to be changing that out to some Eibach coils that will give me 1.5-2.0 lift. The truck is sitting pretty good right now.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top