1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD short shifter w/ stock knob?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Carson, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

OK, got ya!!

This is a common problem with the 05+ shifters. Completely stock ones crap out as well. We have even seen a few TRD shifters have the same problem.

There is good news. Coupe has a way to fix this. You can do it before or after it craps out. He uses some kind of two part silicon epoxy stuff that is much more durable and retains the noise and vibration dampening properties of the stock shifter while making it stiffer.

G

2. Dec 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Yeah, experienced this contact after the install and I had to clearance the hole around the shifter in my truck as well. I just did the pliers method.
    This pic shows where it was contacting
    HPIM1264_bda5ea8a1539029cb6ede713c1c9c765c4c4ce41.jpg

3. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Still haven't answered my question! Since you are here Gadget it would be nice if you can clarify on the premature failures that can come from the URD SS kit...you are the expert!

It fails from the added stress from what I have read. URD should disclose this prior to selling this product.

I am not saying that everything is a Utopia and must be perfect...if you read above. :rolleyes: URD should state that adding this piece causes stress to the shifter and may cause premature failure. Is that asking for too much?

4. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    V6 access hole ^

I4 access hole
    As you can see my access is much smaller on the 5spd access cab. I should have done even more but I was able to turn shifter and eventually jam it in there and get the bolts in.
    PB210589_0e0461a4d18722efde91feee333aba8efd7dbb90.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top