1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Spec-U headers for 2012+ w/dyno.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Torspd, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Oct 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    Brianawd

Brianawd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland OR,
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma dclb
    Billstein 5100s set at 2.5 in the front,2in AAL in the rear with 5100s
    Ok working on installing my UDR U-Spec headers. Have the Passenger one in, but So for I am not impressed. The 0/2 location is making it so I can plug my 0/2 sensor back on. The location of the air pump line makes it almost impossible to get a wrench on the nuts. Then they sent bolts and nuts for the air pump line. where they should have welded a nut on the back. Trying to get those tight is stupid hard. I'm about ready to pull it back off and order up some JBA shortys

2. Oct 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Haha yea my install sucked too but not as bad as you're having it. I have skinny ish arms and long hands so I could make it all work. I thought the new bolts for air injection to header tightened up easy :notsure: the one thing I wish I had new of was nuts for the head studs but whatever. It's worth the pain of install. I get a chub everytime I fire it up in the morning :D

3. Oct 8, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    Does the stock air pump line have a welded nut on the back or is the flange itself tapped for the bolt?

4. Oct 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    It's just a hole. No tap or welded nut. Stock header has a stud in it.

Revelations likes this.
  5. Oct 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    Brianawd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland OR,
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma dclb
    Well if your getting a chub every morning, then I will continue and finish the rest of the install Saturday. I was able to get the 0/2 plugged in by bending the bracket for the wiring harness. Still a little tight for my liking. Just have the drivers side to do now.

6. Oct 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Fair warning @Brianawd The drivers side is worse. Getting it in there sucks. And the nuts on studs for the header are tough. I plugged the o2 sensor bung in the middle runner and used the bung in the collector for my forward o2 sensors. If you can get it done, its worth it imo. But its not an install for everyone...

Torspd[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Make sure your starter wires all clear as well.

Sconnie has some pictures in his build thread.

8. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Yes good point, started cables need an inch or more. Took a few zip ties for me but all good so far

9. Oct 9, 2015 at 6:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Flex head ratchet wrenches and swivel head ratchets FTW!

10. Oct 9, 2015 at 7:32 AM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    ^ this, get them all haha

11. Oct 9, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    mrothwell

mrothwell Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 V6 TRD Sport 6-Speed!
    Bone Stock.
    Nice gains, has anyone dyno'd these long tube headers with (I guess aftermarket) cats welded in? How much horsepower loss?

12. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:07 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Aftermarket cats will not "fit" in them, if trying to conserve the factory bolting locations. They could be welded in after the merge collector. That would then also require modifying the OEM Y-pipe (if it were still used).

The OEM y-pipe, with its "semi" cats was used in the dyno from URD. Those could also be replaced.

Doubt anyone will go that far as that though because it just isn't very cost effective.

13. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    mrothwell

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    This is what I was thinking when I asked the question, but I wasn't aware of this:

As for the "cost effectiveness", if it means keeping my vehicle legal...I'd say the cost is worth it. Plus, I'm one of those damn tree huggers...I'd prefer that my vehicle be a mass polluter.

So will it pass emissions with just the "semi" cats?

14. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    With and O2 simulator, you will. As long as a sniffer test isn't used. And the visual will show the Y-Pipe cats.

Now, you can get some high flow cats to the Y-pipe, relocate the O2 sensors further back to be able to read the newly installed cats, and would be good.

www.planetmagnaflow.com You can find the proper cats for your needs. Have the HP and the emissions compliancy.

15. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM
    mrothwell

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    :rolleyes:

Okay, so I guess the question is...how much of this HP improvement is due to removing the cats, and with an emissions-compliant exhaust, what kind of horsepower bump would you get?

16. Oct 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I like the smell of two of four cats gone, especially first start up :D no testing in WY :p

17. Oct 9, 2015 at 11:11 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    There is still a scavenging improvement over stock, regardless of the cats. That is where the gains are primarily going to be.

High flow cats are a restriction still, but not necessarily as restrictive as one might think. There are plenty of tests where people have tested with/out catalytic converters on the interwebs. Might not be vehicle specfic, but it could still give a rough idea.

A clogged cat however, well we all can agree that it will be a major flow restrictor.

18. Oct 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    Brianawd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland OR,
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma dclb
    Well finished the header install. The drivers side was a bitch to get into place. But once in place, I found the rest of the install to be easier then the passenger side.

SconnieHailer likes this.
  19. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Well done. Make sure to double check all of the nuts after a few miles. They say 100. To make sure they are all still tight.

Heat cycling the new parts will expamd and contract them.

20. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM
    Brianawd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland OR,
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma dclb
    I only had one issue that was caused by me. Got a check engine light because I installed the O/2 sim backwards.

Products Discussed in

To Top