1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Y-Pipe vs DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by extremachn1, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Which Y-pipe is the best for my truck....

Poll closed Jul 19, 2011.
  1. URD Y-pipe @ $489

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe @ $300

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. My cousins, nephews, grandma has (insert Y-pipe name here) on her tacoma and loves it!!!

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. US THE D%!M SEARCH YOU B@ST3RD!!!

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Jun 25, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    What exactly was wrong with the gasket flange? Have they fixed the problem?

2. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    It wasn't exactly a problem by design, the flange is maybe 1/16" longer than the stock. This extra sizing was by Doug Thorley's design.
    Doug Thorley from my understanding had an issue with leaks at this connection point. The FJ exhuast also has the same style gasket but is 1/16" wider.
    So what DT did is accommodate the FJ size with their design. I think the biggest problem that people have had with the piping is no gasket, documentation or part numbers were distributed with the kit. Without the FJ gasket you leak real bad.

This took me me like a week to research and find in other forums.

It's not really an issue if you are capable of grinding it down or getting the gasket. I think some have been very lost before finding this out.

3. Jun 26, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Interesting... Good thing to know about that flange.

So I think you mentioned that you installed the "Powerstick?" What exactly does that do? Going to research it but want your opinion on it as well.

4. Jun 26, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
  5. Jun 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    KAWAIANIANI

KAWAIANIANI Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    TRD BLACKED OUT
    Weather tech stone deflector, Craven speed stubby antennae,DTLT and rear O2 Sims, URD Y pipe, 40 series flowmaster w/ 3" piping. Urd maf calibrator, TRD supercharger, TRD CAI.
    Go to the URD website and read reveiws as far as extending it or modifying it, A gentleman reviewed he had a 3" lift and had to modify it in some way to make it fit. also ask several members who have ran into that, Basically with certain lift brackets it actually interferes with the routing of the piping. My brother who just purchased the URD had this same issue as well and he is running a 6". As for mine I am stock and had to make no modifications. Not saying you dont know how to make a engine work however every little bend inhibits flow so it all depends on what you are trying to do and what muffler you plan on running and how it works and if slight back pressure is needed to make it work more efficiently or not.

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    got my urd y in yesterday but ran into an issue with o2 sensors so i had to order 2 more, they should be in wed and ill get it all put back together for a sound clip. the 4x4 urd y pipe is designed different than the one shown in the pic earlier in this thread, ill get a side by side comparison in a little bit after i finish my honey-do's. heres a clip from when i parked it yesterday just open headers, scared the s out of the neighbors wife who was gardening.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-pfMYMi5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7. Jun 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    outlaw7

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    so heres the side by side of the stock y and the urd 4x4 y,
    [​IMG]
    the stock y does its job but since you are s/c you will want the best flow available. the pipe bomb was just not a good design in my own opinion thats why i sold it. http://aprpower.com/exhaust y-pipe.html theres a good read here and this is what i was experiencing with my stock y pipe. In the future if the apr y ever becomes available for 4x4's i will switch over but for now the urd is your best bet for exhaust flow. The only bad thing about this pipe is it runs underneath the transmission which people have expressed concerns for the extra heat especially in an automatic truck, but superwerty has been running this for sometime and runs his truck harder than most and i have heard no negatives about it from him. You can see how the stock pipe diameter changes a few times.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So i should have the new o2's wed and will get you a sound clip shortly after.

8. Jun 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Sweet pics man. Looking forward to the audio...

9. Jun 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BTW, I love that APR Y-pipe, to bad its not avaliable for 4x4.

10. Jun 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    05xr

05xr Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had the doug thorley pipe bomb a while back along with the long tube headers and stock exhaust. It was terribly raspy! One thing is that the metal is very thin with the Thorley piece... One of the reasons the cost is less. I could feel the resonance/vibration under my feet and through the floor boards. I hated the sound.

I took the pipe bomb to the muffler shop and had them cut out the resonators and just insert straight pipes. It still sounded bad!

One thing that Apr states on their Y pipe is that the key to proper sound is the equal length pipes coming off each header. Its when one section is longer than the other that you start getting raspy sound. I would think that this is why the thorley sounds pretty bad. That and being made out of light weight metal.

Im in the market for a URD Y pipe this time around. Im hoping that the sound isnt as bad. Now i have 2 in line Magnaflow mufflers to help dampen the sound. I was thinking that if I still got the vibrations through the floor boards I would try and do some type of thermal wrap to help insulate some sound.

Apr is an option for me, but Im not into chopping up my existing headers and welding that pipe into place.

11. Jun 26, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    it dosent look like you need to cut and weld with the APR unless I missed something. It does state they are supposed to work with DT LT headers and appears to come with clamps for connecting it.

12. Jun 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I take that back, I just re-read it. You are correct, the APR does require cutting of your headers and cat back exhaust.

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    So I just read through the thread, and came to the conclusion that most of you recommend the URD Y-Pipe, and since I plan on putting a S/C on my truck, sooner than later, this would be my best bet?! Also, I have budbuilt skids, so this would act as my high clearance Y-pipe as well.

So I guess my question is the URD Y-Pipe right for my application?!

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    outlaw7

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    i would say yes, but i would get headers before a y pipe, if you get headers(long tubes) and the urd y pipe be prepared to get your exhaust setup right. my banks system didnt stand a chance and instead of trying to add more mufflers i just pulled the trigger on urd's mk2 exhaust which is supposed to be the answer to no cats. i should get it next week sometime.

15. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Oh okay, well I wanted to keep my headers, don't want it too loud, and really just interested in getting a high clearance y-pipe for clearance!

16. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    theduck911

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I shopped around town, and custom doesn't really exist around here, cheaped was like $500!!

17. Jul 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    09Doright8126

09Doright8126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Offroad Pyrite Prerunner
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
  18. Jul 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Install a resonator before the muffler.

19. Jul 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    ^^^This
    You need a resonator welded on after the flange of your cat-back exhaust. There is a company that makes a short style resonator. I'm on my phone or I would help find you the link.

20. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    09Doright8126

09Doright8126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Offroad Pyrite Prerunner
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
    Sweet... and yes, any help to a link for recommended resonators would be greatly appreciated. Can't thank all the guys at TW enough!

Products Discussed in

To Top