1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

US Tacoma with Rusty frame in Canada. Toyota wants nothing to do with me now

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by osity, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Aug 20, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi everyone glad to be part of the group.

I have a 2005 US Toyota Tacoma that has about 102000km. I purchased it for 30k from a car lot in Guelph Ontario Canada. I recently had my AC compressor changed and my mechanic told me the frame looked like it was going to snap in half because of severe corrossion. According to forums and reading hundreds of posts, this has become a common problem with Toyota. After calling Toyota USA, they informed me of 5 recalls and now I saw there was an "extended service" on the frame, but to my surprise, no recall. I never received any notifications and have never moved residences. The Toyota experience people told me the notifications were being sent to the previous owner in the US! Currently, neither Canada nor the US wants to do anything about it. I asked the Toyota dealer about the frame issue and the GM came out and told me flat out that he didn't care about me becuase I don't get it serviced at his dealership, literally that's what he said. His dealership is an hour away from home. He was a super condescending and told me even if was covered, he didn't really want to do it.

My Tacoma car has zero body rust and the truck is in excellent condition, it looks great. I thought I had a nice asset here worth something but now with this excessively corroded frame (pics attached), is this truck now reduced to $150 at the junkyard or is there any hope to get Toyota to do anything? Private litigation maybe?

Two Pictures here:
    https://imgur.com/a/P0WYZl1

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    GQ7227 likes this.
  2. Aug 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    sgage

sgage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma SR5
    Whoa! Excessive rust indeed! Are 2005's covered at all, anywhere? I really don't know too much about the situation in Canada. I think you are probably out of luck, it pains me to say. You might try a different dealer, but 2005... I don't know.

In the States, there was an actual recall that ended in 2016, then the extended warrantee thing came along (settlement agreement of a lawsuit) which goes to 12 years from 'in service date'. That's past for you, in any case.

Caveat emptor, re: older Tacos.

whatstcp likes this.
  3. Aug 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    pnw.river.junkie

pnw.river.junkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Ouch... I think you are beyond the time window for a frame replacement from Toyota, but maybe you have some recourse since you never got any notifications? It's unclear from your post if you just bought this or have owned it for a while? Did it look like that when you bought it? You should have checked it out before buying it, but if a dealership sold you that truck like that I would start by calling them and telling them they are assholes. I don't have any experience with this, but lots of folks here have had their frames replaced and will chime in I'm sure.

whatstcp likes this.
  4. Aug 20, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    At one time they were going out 15 years on the frame replacement. I had a 2000 and Toyota bought it back from me in 2010.

5. Aug 20, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    Timinatorx92

Timinatorx92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Tacoma AC TRD Offroad
    3" toytec lift Method 16x8 Grid Coopers at3 xlt 295/75/16
    might have to pay out of pocket for a new frame.. or repair it?

6. Aug 20, 2019 at 9:37 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. The car was purchased around 2009. The truck only has 102000 Km on it. (original post corrected as I checked mileage today).
    This is extremely premature. I can fit a tennis ball in the hole.

7. Aug 20, 2019 at 9:55 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    SOL. Age, previous "campaigns" offering repairs, and lack of good dealer relationship give you nil to fall back to. Lawsuit will be a waste of time and $.
    Either fix it by plating the frame, replace the frame on your own dime, send it to the scrap yard, or part it out and get some $ back out of it.

whatstcp likes this.
  8. Aug 20, 2019 at 9:57 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I believe the warranty / replacement was 12 years from the original purchase date.
    Unfortunately, you being 2005. I don’t believe you’re covered any longer.
    I could be wrong.

I did receive an inspection notice. I took mine in and it “passed”.
    But I live in the Southern U.S. lucky

Hopefully someone can help you.

9. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:01 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:
    What a shame. They're currently doing all my recalls on it. I had 4 recalls.
    Many lawyers work on contingency. We have one here locally that is currently doing a class action against Toyota for the exploding airbags that are killing people.
    Maybe I'll give him a shout tomorrow for a chat.

10. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    NYCTaco52

NYCTaco52 Half man, half goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Somehow known as Stewart, but named Ben
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    It had to have some type of damage like that when you bought it, or from 2009 till now, you never looked under your truck, AT ALL. That doesn’t happen overnight.

Honestly your only option if you plan to keep it is replace the frame, which will be expensive.

With how bad it is, I’d cut the loss and part it out, get a new vehicle. And try to keep up with maintenance on that one going forward

SR-71A likes this.
  11. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:
    TnShooter You're correct. it expired. This should have been a recall. I never received a single notice for anything. I got mine inspected yesterday and it "failed". Sadly, from what I've been reading, your Tacoma's rusty frame day will come. Keep an eye on it. I've loved this car until now but this final "Toyota experience" is not fun.

12. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:22 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:
    NYCTaco52 Why would I look at my truck's frame? I'm no mechanic and I don't know $hit about trucks other than checking oil, cabin filter, taking it in for tuneups and paying for oil and fluid changes. Even worse, it's my mothers truck. She couldn't point out a "frame" if she wanted to, nor should she have to. I can't imagine my 63 year old mom laying on driveway trying to look under the truck for premature rust after only 4 years of being new. All maintenance was done according to schedule and the truck runs and looks perfect and mean.
    Despite what Toyota thinks, You can't "coat away" rust-rotted metal with "maintenance" and magic coatings.
    There's plenty of people who's Toyota vehicles were
    serviced strictly by their Toyota dealers and the corrosion was never mentioned until AFTER the notice expired. I would never use that dealer again.

Several right in this thread.
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussi...ma-frame-rust-warranty-expired-without-notice
    (Not sure if i can post links to other sites. If not, please let me know and I'll remove it ASAP.)

Skyway likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:30 PM
    NYCTaco52

Member:
    First Name:
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    You never mentioned it was your mothers vehicle. But most truck owners usually know that frames should be checked regularly. The body on frame design makes it easier and truck frames can have issues of their own, not just Toyota’s. Which is why I said that. Most people don’t, which I definitely get. But everyone should.

But yes, I know Toyota did a horrible job of notifying people of the recall. Most say they did but we all know it was bullshit. It cost approximately 14-17k to have it replaced at a dealer, and although they get reimbursed from Toyota, they don’t wanna deal with it. It’s a huge job and usually takes up 2 separate bays to do the work.

SR-71A likes this.
  14. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:34 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's a class action, not a recall. It truly doesn't matter what you think.

http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com/

It's expired for even 2007's now. It's amazing that any kind of corrosion on a 10+ year old truck is even being addressed. No other manufacturer goes so far, even if its a lawsuit.

blu92in99 and SR-71A like this.
  15. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:41 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    it isn't extremely premature, it's a 2005. It was just never fluid filmed or corrosion inhibited. Just one of those things that people fought Toyota to take care of and the settlement or agreement was reached that they would do 12 years from original purchase date. That's it, that's final. There were a few members that found out about the frame replacement days after the campaign ended for their specific vehicle and Toyota said tough luck, the end date is the end date for a reason.

I'd start looking for a clean frame at a junkyard to swap it over to yourself or by a trusted mechanic if you don't want to pay dealership prices.

not to mention it takes their best/experienced dudes to do the job. Not really something for the quick oil change/tire rotation grease monkeys to handle.

Sterling_vH111 likes this.
  16. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:43 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:
  17. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    NYCTaco52

Member:
    First Name:
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    Yes on fords

18. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:50 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nissan trucks especially.

Ive seen chevs do this as well.

19. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:50 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Yes, I have.

Had a buddy with a rusted to hell early 2000s Ford F150. I accidentally knocked a hole in his frame with a flathead while replacing brake pads. From Wisconsin of course. Also had a friend buy a nice modded Wrangler for a really good price with a black shiny frame, turns out it was just POR15 holding the rusted frame together. Hard lesson learned there.

Basically if you live in a region where there's winter and/or salt of any sort (including coastal areas, or Hawaii/Guam) you will experience an early demise of your vehicle unless precautions and measures are taken.

Any car, any make, any model, any year.

20. Aug 20, 2019 at 10:58 PM
    osity

osity [OP] Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top