1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

USAF Commission

Discussion in 'Military' started by Newman, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Newman

Newman [OP] .

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    B&M T-Handle
    How many people have gone through this process? What did you use to prepare for the AFOQT? I recently graduated with a BS in aeronautics and am in the early stages of the process and would like some more insight.

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Thirteen20WRX

Thirteen20WRX Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD T|X PreRunner
    Eibach/Toytec springs, Front Bilstein 5100's set at .85, Rear Toytec 2" AAL, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
    Congrats on the degree. What AFSC's are you interested in? (I assume pilot/nav, with an aeronautics degree...)

I assume you're going OTS. I went through AFROTC but we had to take the OQT as well. IIRC I scored 99/99 math and english and in the mid 70's on the pilot and nav aptitude sections-and it got me a crap sandwich (wanted security forces as AFSC, got damn 64P contracting). If it hasn't changed since I took it (2003), the math and english sections are comparable to an SAT or ACT, maybe a bit easier. I forget the actual names, but the spatial relationship and gauge reading sections (important if you want to fly or be a nav, inconsequential if you don't) were weird. I really can't think of a way to study for them other than get a good night's rest and relax! Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    AggiePilot12

AggiePilot12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 6" Double Cab
    6" Fabtech, All-Pro Leafs, Cold Air, Cat Delete
    Congrats on picking the world's best Air Force (and service for that matter) go in refreshed, relaxed and don't sweat it. You've seen worse with your aeronautical degree. The test is going to be a great discriminant amongst applicants for pulling natural strengths out of each test taker. Some sections will come much more natural to others, and by that you just can't study for them, they're just 'common sense' to some while harder for others (I did well in certain sections my friend had struggled with and vice versa).

To brush up and become more prepared check this out.. $15 ain't bad for a better score in a section you want to work on. http://www.amazon.com/Military-Flig...926791&sr=8-1&keywords=afoqt+study+guide+2013

Good luck and God speed! If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I have some friends on base here that grad'd from OTS if you have any questions I can put you in touch with them.

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    Thirteen20WRX

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Eibach/Toytec springs, Front Bilstein 5100's set at .85, Rear Toytec 2" AAL, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
    ^^ what AggiePilot said. My reply looked a little bad attitude-ish so I just want to clarify...it really is the best job in the world, no matter what you end up doing. Educational, travel, and other opportunities are basically beating your door down, and you work with some of the smartest and most capable people in the world on a daily basis.

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    Newman

Newman [OP] .

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    B&M T-Handle
    Thirteen20WRX - Thank you for the congratulatory words. My ranking of choices right now is Pilot, Space and Missile Operations Officer, Air Battle Manager, Munitions and Missile Maintenance Officer. Thanks for your insight, I didn't take it as a bad attitude.

AggiePilot12 - From what I've found through research, the test seems to be a balance of common sense and skill/knowledge I've acquired through the course of earning my degree. I'm trying to approach this decision as informed as possible,I just might take you up on that offer.

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I did the AFOQT about 8 yrs ago. I think it's changed since then, I'm not sure though. I think they dropped a few sections. A few were pretty stupid. I suck at math and my gf helped tutor me. That helped a lot. Not sure what you're looking to do but when I took it pilot slots were pretty tough to get. I ended up getting a pilot slot through a reserve unit, but I had to go through OTS with the rest of active duty. I was offered a nav slot but turned it down.

OTS is a pretty big joke. I was suprised by the amount of slackers that got through despite the cuts at the time. It's 13 weeks of being treated like your 5. I had a medical issue and couldn't fly and waited a while to get a waiver that never came. I met a ton of great friends and worked with some outstanding people. I don't think I'll ever work with people like that again.

If you're going for pilot, look into the other services as well. Sometimes the AF is extremely picky.

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    Newman

Newman [OP] .

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    B&M T-Handle
    Sammy87 - The math with no calculator was initially a big fear of mine but after spending a few hours doing math by hand I don't mind it. I watched a vid on youtube of OTS and it seems like a country club compared to basic. lol

8. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    AggiePilot12

AggiePilot12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 6" Double Cab
    6" Fabtech, All-Pro Leafs, Cold Air, Cat Delete
    Basic is 80% physical and job specific (enlisted) while OTS/Field Training is 80% mental and mission specific (officer). There's a reason for that.

Hit me or the other guys up if you need anything at all.

Who are the best AF recruiters? ...Army/Marine parents haha.

9. Jan 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I remember ots being about 80% flt cc time where we just sat around in a room wondering why the program was 13 weeks long. 1% was physical, and that was pretty much at your own pace or optional.

10. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Newman

Newman [OP] .

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    B&M T-Handle
    Makes sense. I'll let you guts know if I need anything.

What was the other 19%? lol I'm shooting for warhawk in basic so if I fall short I wont feel too bad.

11. Jan 12, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    Thirteen20WRX

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Haha, right on, man. I was an Army brat, and when I decided on ROTC, my dad didn't want to hear anything about Army ROTC. It was AF all the way, or nothing, as far as he was concerned.

12. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    The other 19% was trying to stay awake during classroom crap. It's really easy and a little embarrassing. The temp dropped below 35 one morning and they cancelled PT that morning, rain PT was cancelled. There were some candidates that had a really hard time trying to pass the PFT. The mins are like 17mins for a 1.5mile run, maybe even longer.

13. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Just here to stay congrats and good luck!

14. Jan 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    Newman

Newman [OP] .

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    B&M T-Handle
    Thanks, I'll take all I can get.

Products Discussed in