1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Use your cell Phone to Unlock your Truck !!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by khfactor, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Mar 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    khfactor

khfactor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    I tried the 2nd ITEM and it worked for me.

I sent my son over to the next two blocks from where my Taco was parked and he called me on his cell phone to my cell exposed to the front of the truck... He then pushed the DOOR UNLOCK button onto his cell phone and lo-N-B-Hold the truck door opened !!!

Four other things YOU Could do with your cell phone.......

PRINT AND SAVE IN CAR GLOVE BOX. ALSO KEEP COPY AT HOME OR OFFICE

5 THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR CELL PHONE COULD DO

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST -- The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND-- Have you ever locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This
    may come in handy someday. If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call
    someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.

Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk). Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

THIRD--Hidden Battery Power - Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your < B>cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH-- How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone? To check your Mobile phone's serial number,
    key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 # A 15 digit code will appear on the screen.

This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When or if your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

FIFTH--Free Directory Service for Cells. Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800)373-3411 without incurring any charge at al l. Program this into your cell phone now.

2. Mar 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....

So - you used your cell phone to replace your thumb to hit the door unlock button?

So perhaps I'm reading that wrong...but please explain. I'm a skeptic. :D

3. Mar 14, 2008 at 12:36 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    The idea is to transmit the signal from a remote lock/unlock through the transmitting cell phone, and from the receiving cell phone the signal is then transmitted into the vehicle, thus unlocking the vehicle where your keys mysteriously left themselves.

4. Mar 14, 2008 at 12:41 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    yeah, i'm with Janster. i'm a little skeptical too but its a cool idea if it works. what's cooler is the battery reserve. you better believe i will be testing that one...

5. Mar 14, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.

Read the SECOND part... It is via pushing the DOOR UNLOCK button on the REMOTE KEY FOB into the distant Cell phone....

6. Mar 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    :)

You hit the nail RIGHT on the (DC) DEAD CENTER ! I was skeptical too utnil I tried it and sure enough, after my son pushed the "DOOR OPEN" button on the remote keyfob into his cell phone after calling my cell phone (needs to establish a connection before pushing any buttons...) my Taco light flashed and unlocked the doors...

Try it !! Theoretically, I have been told that it DOES not have to be cell phone to cell phone. It could be from land-line phone to a cell phone, etc... :rolleyes:

7. Mar 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    How exactly are do you do #4?
    Key in the code? If I just key it in, I can not switch between num and text on my key pad.

Regarding #5, Free 411 sucks a$$...too many "commercials" to listen to. A much better option, Google 411 1-800-466-4411 - I use it all the time and is very handy and much less painful than Free 411

8. Mar 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Number 4 doesn't work for me. Assuming it's supposed to be *#06# then send. I just get an automated recording saying the call can't be completed as dialed. A simpler way to find your serial number would be to look at your phone. Mine is printed on a sticker behind the battery.

9. Mar 14, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    mmatheny

mmatheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dickinson, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB Magnetic Gray Metallic
    BakFlip MX4
    OK, Ihaven't tried it either, but the remote is RADIO WAVES, not sound waves. How can you send RADIO WAVES through your cell phone using the microphone and speaker??

Here's the facts:
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

10. Mar 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Good point!

11. Mar 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Look, I can understand the skeptism myself also, but seeing is believing, isn't it for some visual learners???:confused:

What have you got to lose by trying it first? I tried it. Have someone with a cell phone walk two or three blocks away from the truck and call you on your cell phone. Of course this person would have to have the spare Remote Key Fob with him/her. Reason for walking two to three blocks away from the truck is dead obvious I hope .....

Answer the cell phone right near or at the truck. Tell your friend to push the DOOR UNLOCK button into his cell phone while you expose your cell phone to the truck 3 to 5 feet from it. See what happens.....:confused:

In my case, my lights flashed and the door unlocked...:)

12. Mar 14, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    me and a guy at work just tried it and it didnt work. my truck is about 75 feet away from where we did it. he called me on a land line and i was at the truck on my cell. he tried lock, unlock, and alarm. now keep in mind I work in a building that is about 6" of poured concrete. so there's no way the signal is going to emminate from inside it.

13. Mar 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Telephones cell or plain old telephone service (POTS) works off of sound usually in the 300Hz to 4000Hz range. They work by taking the sound signal and converting it into an electrical signal via the microphone. In analog telephone service that is then passed on to the CO and off to the far end. Cell phones will take the analog electrical signal convert it to digital and transmit via radio waves. Now there is no way that a key fob is going to excite a little microphone with its radio waves and pass through a phone.

Try it again this time from the other side of town

14. Mar 14, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Well, I tried it again this evening in a similar fashion (little farther this time, like 4 blocks away). Unlike the first time (1-1/2 block away), it did not work. I do not know why it worked the 1st time from 1-1/2 block away. Perhaps the radio transmission from the Key fob was still detectable from 1-1/2 block away, I doubt it...

Wonder what caused it to work the 1st time?

15. Mar 14, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the signal bounced off the stratosphere and reached the truck...lol...i have no idea either, but i can reach my truck from right outside my work door, but as soon as i step in or tried it on the phone, it didnt work

16. Mar 14, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
  17. Mar 14, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    You were probably just in range. My key fob works well from about 200 ft away. I havn't tried it from much further than that.

18. Mar 15, 2008 at 12:53 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I was going to suggest repeating the experiment. If it worked, hang up the cell phone and try it with just the fob to see if you're just too close.

Cell phones transmit a limited frequency to conserve bandwidth (so does your land line), that's why the on-hold music sounds so bad when it's transmitted. There's no way they'll recreate non-audible radio frequencies. It's too much data and would unnecessarily bog down the cell system.

19. Mar 15, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I have had to do this before on my Mazda and it worked. I have not tried it yet on the Tacoma, but believe it will work as well.

20. Mar 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM
    khfactor

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    See, I was not dreaming up these gizmos. In a sunny bright day (if it ever happens soon), I will drive my truck to about 1/2mile and will try the experiment one more time.

It's like the TV show, "Mythbusters" but unlike that show I hope my truck does not blow up, ha ha !:D

Products Discussed in

To Top