1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

    You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

    As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Utah frame coat

Discussion in 'South West' started by gobias, Sep 13, 2010.

  1. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM

    gobias [OP] as in Gobias some coffee

    Mar 23, 2010
    02 Dbl TRD
    Anyone in Utah had their frame coated by a dealership?

    I asked about it at Mark Miller and the service rep told me that the only places that can spray it are back east. Sounded a bit off to me but I thought I'd check. My frame has almost no rust but I'd rather have a Toyota warranty on it than to just rustoleum it myself.
  2. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM

    Manlaan Well-Known Member

    Jan 25, 2010
    First Name:
    Riverton, Utah
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Pretty sure its only the eastern states that get the spray. The spray is pretty much crap anyway unless you want something the consistency of tar and never fully dries on the outside (no clue what they do to the inside). The real problem with the rust is on the inside, which you cant tell how bad it is. I wouldn't use rustoleum though, but something more specific to rust.

    What I ended up doing is getting three cans of http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html I used about 1.5 cans per coating. I still need to do my second coat though. I'd do my best to rinse out any dirt and loose rust out of the frame first even though the spray is quite runny and shouldn't have any problems penetrating.

    For the outside, I originally just did some spray on undercoating, but wish I did a bit more before. In a year or something, I'm sure I'll be able to more easily remove the undercoating I put on and do it right.

    If I could redo it, I'd get something like http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-converter-new-formula-aerosol.html (any rust converter type product) and spray down the outside. Probably need two cans.

    And then I'd seal the whole thing with some rubberized undercoating.

    Or, you could just hope that it fails in the next few years so you can get it replaced, but if your frame is in good shape, I'd rather just take care of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top