1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

V6 manual transmission... new vehicle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saskcan, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    saskcan

saskcan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    2010 sport 6spd
    some accessories
    Hello all

I ordred a 2010 tacoma double cab sport with manual transmission.
    I have never owned a manual vehicle but have drove a few manual vehicles.

any advice with this transmission will be great. I will adapt to it quickly but would like some knowledge that might help me along the way.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Manual > Auto

In my opinion at least. :D

3. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    Borrow somebody else's car to learn on! Don't want to wreck the new clutch on your Taco!

4. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Did you test drive a manual taco?

Mine is the first automatic I've ever owned, everything else has been a stick, just didn't like the feel of the 6-speed and I was set on one before driving em.

Lot of people still like em though.

I don't think you need too much advice :p Just drive and learn. The truck has enough torque down low that you aren't gonna stall out too easy so it should be simple to learn on/get used to. Once you find the sweet spot it'll be second nature.

I did notice in my test drives that this truck has a pretty significant RPM surge when you push the clutch in when shifting, people on here said it was normal but it can be annoying at first.

5. Aug 7, 2009 at 4:36 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    OK so you've driven a stick, just never owned one.

You probably had practice on cars before, the clutch pedal travel is a bit long like most trucks but engagement is in a small window of about 70-80% of the pedal being released. 1st is geared short, so stalling off the line shouldnt be a problem. Just drive and practice on level ground then add hills.

Accelerating, most shifts can be done at 2K-2.5K rpm. Crusing under 2K is where you'll get your best mileage.

6. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    tammikm

tammikm Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    completely different than a manual car!! I had a 07 trd manual and traded for an 06 auto. auto is great, but hope you like the manual, I also notice that the auto is wayy better on gas, like 150 kms a tank better, the manual's rpms were very high at highway speeds 2300-2400 at 110 km/h vs 1900 - 2000 with the auto... anyways hope you like it!

7. Apr 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    Manuel.... its the best.

8. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Auto vs Manual isn't the topic here peeps.

If you have access to another beater manual, I'd practice on that a bit first. However, every car feels different, clutch release position is different, ect. I laugh when I see people jump in any random manual vehicle in a movie and drive it like they've owned it before.

Keep in mind, these transmissions have syncro's and they are designed to rev-match the transmission gear to your engine speed. That said, still try to keep it somewhat close. Do use the clutch every shift, it's meant to. I'd practice it on some back roads for awhile when you get it first. One thing I have found in the past, it seems easier for me to drive balls to the wall than slow and calm with a stick... but it's also just in my blood lol.

Downshifting... well to do it properly will take some time to figure out rev matching to do it proper. That said, the syncro's will take care of it for you, so don't worry to much about getting it perfect. Just make sure to downshift to the right gear and not go from 6th to 1st or something (not that you'd probably be able to engage it anyway).

From what I understand, the URD shifting kit is a must. It sounds like it vastly improves the shifting experience (reduces/eliminates the slop and gives you a better tactile feeling). It'd be the first thing I do if I had a manual taco. Link: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=1230100023

Also, never sit on a hill, at a light, or anything in gear with the clutch down... keep it in neutral until just before your'e ready to go. If you don't have the clutch fully disengaged you'll wear it out faster. Also, on a hill doing the two foot balance (clutch/gas to rock back and forth to stay in one spot) you're just putting a lot of strain on the clutch for no reason at all. Not worth it :p

Also, if you have it and you're on a hill/stuck you can use clutch/start/cancel to bump the starter in gear to move forward through a sticky situation.

Above all though, have fun :D

And wow I failed... didn't even look at the post date... Why was this even resurrected?

9. Apr 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature

Products Discussed in

To Top