1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

valve slash

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by joselito76, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Nov 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    joselito76

joselito76 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jose
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    2001 pre runner
    so I did a compression test today and I got 150,150,145,and 150 that looks a bit low, I belive by the repair manual the normal compression is between 180 and 160 if I remember clearly.My question is if a valve slash would be worth doing to get some of the compression back or I should just get a new head or a low millage used head. My other option is to strip the head take it to a m8chine shop get it back to spec and install everything my self use what ever can be use and replace what ever need to be replace. So what do you guys think.thanks in advance.

2. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I say start with the cheapest option first. Then if you can adjust the valves. Do so, then check the compression again. I would also do a leak down test after that. If your restored your compression but the cylinders don't hold the compression, then it means your rings are worn out.

That will all give you a better idea of what all needs to be done or not.

3. Nov 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    joselito76

joselito76 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jose
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    2001 pre runner
    true,true. thanks torspd. One more thing how do you do a leak down test
    i just google it got it thanks

4. Nov 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Pretty sure it's called valve LASH lol

5. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    I would not worry to much. The balance between the cylinders is what is important. The actual number is a bit low, but it could be from gauge error. I have several compression testers in my shop and have seen a 25 psi variation between them when used back to back on the same engine.

Did you prop the throttle valve open during the test?

It will not hurt anything to check the valve lash. If it is out of spec then thing about doing the adjustment.

G

Products Discussed in

To Top