1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vehicle Diagnostic Reader

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Medic4x4, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Apr 10, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Medic4x4

Medic4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    ARE brand Fiberglass shell
    Can someone please provide me advice on purchasing a diagnostic scanner for use on a 2012 Tacoma 4x4 with extended cab. There are so many scanners on the market it can become confusing and some are quite expensive. Just looking for one to use occasionally when needed on other family owned Toyota vehicles as well.
    I currently have an engine light and TRAC OFF light activated for the second time in four months on my Tacoma. The dealership claims the codes they read have nothing to do with the TRAC system. Instead, they stated they received two codes, one for faulty rear wheel speed sensor, and second code for a fuel line vacuum leak. I'm reluctant to let them replace the fuel system at $1500 and $245 for the rear wheel speed sensor part. At this time my Tacoma runs fine, like it always has, but still have the engine light and TRAC OFF light.
    I certainly would appreciate any advice to this post.

2. Apr 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Most any ELM327 device will work. Mine was $15.00 and does what I need. Mostly, it doesn't do everything, like tpms, but you'll be able to read codes. It works for me.
    Get the Bluetooth version of whatever one you choose
    Go to your app store and install torque. It's a nice interface for the scanner. You can purchase brand specific codes to unlock more things to mess with. Lol

Good luck

Edit: I don't have TRAC, but from what I've read, it gets disabled when a code pops up regardless.

3. Apr 10, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Try a new gas cap for the fuel evap leak.
    Speed sensor isn't that difficult to change out, just buy the part from another dealer.

4. Apr 11, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    Medic4x4

Medic4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    ARE brand Fiberglass shell
    Thanks guys for your advice. I appreciate your help.

Larzzzz, I will follow up on your advice for the Bluetooth version of the code scanner. Will check Amazon and Auto Zone.

JaCado, I'll try your suggestion on replacing the gas cap with another Toyota OEM. Regarding the faulty rear wheel sensor, I had authorized the dealer to replace that part which had to be ordered, When I went to pick my truck the next day they told me the sensor that they ordered and came in was the wrong part, but they stated they went ahead and rebuilt the existing sensor and did not charge me for their service.

Stay safe and have a good weekend.

tcjacado likes this.
  5. Apr 11, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    they will scan for free AUTOZONE or ADVANCEAUTO

Products Discussed in